Reef Central Online Community
Tampa Bay Saltwater

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 12/25/2007, 06:08 PM   #1
Scoobaman17
Registered Member

This was a rare sight to see.

I'm at a party last night at this millionaire's house in Palas Verdes when another reefer and myself are staring at this guys fish tank. He's got many things he shouldn't have and we are bickering on the subject when one of the guys three fire shrimp comes out, puts it tail up in the water and jets a HUGE amount of baby shrimp into the water column. The fish started going crazy over the rare feast and the display was mesmerizing. It was so insane since only him and myself out of about a 100 people knew what was going on. Pretty sweet thing to witness.

Current Tank Info: 75g reef, 140g reef
Scoobaman17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/25/2007, 06:25 PM   #2
Whisperer
Registered Member

AFAIK, shrimps lay eggs that are attached to their swimerettes until they hatch. IME, the eggs hatch at night and nature understandably designed this to increase the survival of the brood in the wild. So, it is indeed rare sight to see a shrimp giving birth to live brood.

Current Tank Info: 120G reef, 30G sump, 10G QT tank
Whisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/25/2007, 06:26 PM   #3
kar93
Registered Member

What did he have in the tank?

kar93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/26/2007, 02:58 PM   #4
erendon
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 07kar93
What did he have in the tank?
Yeah.

Current Tank Info: 180 Gal Reef, DYI fuge/sump, 3x 250's, 1400 K phoenix.
erendon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/26/2007, 05:05 PM   #5
Scoobaman17
Registered Member

corals, clams, arrowcrab, naso "90 gallon tank" THAT HE CRUSHED WITH LR THE DAY BEFORE so that was dead. sailfin, yellow tang, tomato clowns, perc clowns, 3 fireshrimp that I could see, cardinals, chromis, a dead royal gramma.

I mean other than the oddball problems the corals were all doing fine thanks to MH and chiller. Whoever he had set up the tank in equipment wise did ok with co2, calcium reactor, mh, chiller, actinics, skimmer. Just a few things that more experienced reefers would argue on.

Current Tank Info: 75g reef, 140g reef
Scoobaman17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/26/2007, 05:16 PM   #6
stuccodude
Registered Member

if i was a millionaire i would have at least a 500

Current Tank Info: 240 all the goodies,hydra 26 led lights, chiller etc
stuccodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/26/2007, 05:18 PM   #7
usmc121581
Where am I?

Quote:
Originally posted by stuccodude
if i was a millionaire i would have at least a 500
If I was I would have one big enough to dive in. Well now I woke up relized it would never happen.

Current Tank Info: I have a 180 gal mostly LPS corals, it contains 1 Val. Tang, 1 yellow striped clown fish, 3 percula clownfish, a blood shrimp, cleaner shrimp and a sand shifting goby, 5 pajama cardinals, 1 green chromis. Also a 75 gal. sump/fug.
usmc121581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/26/2007, 06:25 PM   #8
seapug
Registered Member

I had a pair of Skunk cleaners that spawned 2x month. The tank would get filled with thousands of baby skunks that were promptly eaten by the fish and corals. It usually happened after the lights went off but happened when the actinics were on a couple of times. Wildlife Chronicles.

Oh, and the skunks?....Both became big annoying food thieves so I put a Flame Hawkfish in the tank. Adios, shrimp.

Current Tank Info: 200 gallon custom Marineland DD peninsular tank. LPS dominated mixed reef. Previous 90 gallon mixed reef TOTM April 2009.
seapug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/26/2007, 08:00 PM   #9
AquaReeferMan
Got Reef?

Quote:
Originally posted by seapug
Oh, and the skunks?....Both became big annoying food thieves so I put a Flame Hawkfish in the tank. Adios, shrimp.

That not very nice. So the next time you are hungry and eat something, Im gonna send a lion in to eat you.

Current Tank Info: 5 pieces of glass with some silicone and plastic frames holding them together
AquaReeferMan is offline   Reply With Quote