Reef Central Online Community
Marine Depot

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 01/12/2008, 09:27 PM   #1
ClayWagner
Registered Member

Trouble finding pickling lime/CaOH/kalkwasser mix. Suggestions?

Where can I find this? I'm having trouble locating Mrs. Wages Pickling Lime (maybe cause I live in Florida?). Heard that Wal-Mart carries but having a hard time finding one with it in stock (discontinued...), would Publix (grocery chain here in Florida) perhaps? I also here you can locate some hydrated lime at Lowes in the gardening section...is this safe/suggested? Thanks for all recommendations...

Clay

ClayWagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/12/2008, 09:51 PM   #2
sjm817
On Yer left!

I was never able to find it locally. You can get it online http://mrswages.com. I used it for a little while, but it always bothered me that the slurry on the bottom turned brown. The ESV, Kent and Bulk lime I've used does not. It may be something harmless, such as iron, but I stopped using it. Here are links to other suppliers as well.

Bulk Reef Supply
ESV

Old 01/12/2008, 11:01 PM   #3
ClayWagner
Registered Member

Hmmm...interesting find. With shipping it comes out to around four dollars/pound. I do believe Randy Holmes found out that it was, in fact, copper but I can't be certain. Approximitely how long does a pound last, or to be more exact, does anyone know the amount of teaspoons in a pound of pickling lime/kalkwasser?

Clay

Old 01/12/2008, 11:04 PM   #4
sjm817
On Yer left!

It depends on your tanks needs. Max soluble is 2 teaspoons/gallon. Typical use is for use in auto topoff. Figure how much you evaporate a day, and that will give you the amount of kalk you would use in a day if you used maximum saturation.

Old 01/12/2008, 11:11 PM   #5
sjm817
On Yer left!

Cost wise, the Mrs Wages is $3.85/Lb ($3.75 if you buy 12)
ESV is $4.50/lb
Bulk is $ $2.75/lb (I used the 4 lb rate)

this is not including any shipping costs.

Old 01/13/2008, 06:35 AM   #6
tgfrench
Registered Member

Try finding a place that bulk orders lots of chemicals. I made buddies with a fellow that owns a metal plating shop. He gets me 50 lb bags of Ca hydroxide for 34 cents a lb. It has the same cas # as kent kalk. lols kent probably gets it from the same place.

90 corner overflow w/basement sump/coptic refug, DIY single beckett skimmer, 2 vho & 2 250w 14k hamiltons MH., fishbowl Innov lunar light system, 1500gph CL. started with a 55 in 4/20/04 upgraded to 90 5/1/07 total system volume 250 gal.

Current Tank Info: 90 gal AGA single corner overflow
tgfrench is offline   Reply With Quote