Reef Central Online Community
Marine Depot

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 01/12/2008, 03:44 PM   #1
Wrench
Registered Member

Anemone not growing

I picked up this BTA a year or so ago. It grew fast with regular feedings. Eventually it split, then again so I have 3 now. None of the 3 have grown since they've split which was 8 months ago. I feed them several times a week with small pieces of meaty foods. This includes shrimp, squid, mysis and clams. Tank specs and lighting are in my signature, here are my parameters. What would keep them from growing? Otherwise they look healthy.

SG 1.026
NO3 10ppm
Ca 420-430
Alk 3-3.5 dKH
Phosphate; undetectable
pH 8.0-8.2
Temp 79-81

Wrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/12/2008, 05:48 PM   #2
garygb
Registered Member

Hmm, not sure. Nitrates would be better if undetectable, but I doubt that is it. ph would be better if 8.2-8.4, but I doubt that is the issue either. Do you have corals that could result in the reduced extension of the anemones?

garygb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/12/2008, 06:25 PM   #3
Wrench
Registered Member

They seem to be fully extended. Even when they're closed they're tiny. Right around the size of a golf ball I guess .Corals are mostly SPS, one small toadstool, zoos, a good sized kenya tree and I have a few clams. I do weekly water changes with IO of 15-20g to keep up on the trace elements and to try and keep the nitrate down (tank is heavily stocked). Are nems sensitive to low levels of trace like strontium, iodine, molebdynum etc?

Old 01/12/2008, 06:33 PM   #4
garygb
Registered Member

I would expect you have high enough levels of those trace elements since you do regular water changes. I would wonder if there could be a lack of growth because of allelopathy. That seems to be the current catchall for anything mysterious, but I think it very likely could be the issue in your aquarium. I know that toadstools and zooanthids release stuff into the water.

Old 01/12/2008, 07:45 PM   #5
Wrench
Registered Member

The toadstool has only been in there for a couple weeks and the nems haven't grown in 8 months so it must be the zoos. Is running carbon not enough to neutralize the chemicals?

Thank you, by the way.

Old 01/12/2008, 09:21 PM   #6
garygb
Registered Member

Generally the recommendation to reduce allelopathy is to run small amounts of carbon and to change it weekly, of course, along with protein skimming. I don't know if it is enough or not. Ideally, I think that anemones are kept in species tanks--in other words, only one species of anemone and no coral. There are many examples of aquarists that successfully keep mixed reefs, so obviously it is possible.