Reef Central Online Community
Live Aquaria

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 03/02/2008, 04:15 PM   #1
Bmgrocks
Registered Member

Best Way to Trasnport Fish/inverts Via Airplane

Not Shipping, but as a carry on item?

I'm on my way back from school, and would like to transport a few inverts home, is there any way that i would be able to carry it on the plane. Even with all these rules and regulations with water, liquids ect.
Under the plane is out of the question, as they would never survive the under storage conditions. I'm not trying to subject the animals to any more stress than they half to. It will be a 1.5 hr flight direct. If you have any knowledge about carry on standards/conditions your imput will be greatly appreciated.

Keep in mind this is just a question, with the ability to mail/ship the animals as well.

Bmgrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/02/2008, 04:20 PM   #2
saltycreefer
Registered Member

I came back from florida to CT with a backpack full of stuff. They didn't care that I had it, but I'm not sure what the rules are.

Current Tank Info: Got out of tanks for a little while.
saltycreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/02/2008, 04:34 PM   #3
Bmgrocks
Registered Member

Define "stuff" ha

Old 03/02/2008, 04:42 PM   #4
seapug
Registered Member

Call the airline. They aren't going to shoot you for calling and asking and honest question. The best bet might be to do what the retail business does-- get some styrofoam coolers from an LFS, bag everything up and pack it in tight, than put a heat pack in and check it like people do with dogs and cats.

Current Tank Info: 200 gallon custom Marineland DD peninsular tank. LPS dominated mixed reef. Previous 90 gallon mixed reef TOTM April 2009.
seapug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/02/2008, 04:44 PM   #5
ReefWreak
Registered Member

I've wondered the same thing, and I was thinking about just putting frags in film canisters and taking them with me, but that still isn't a great way of doing it due to temp fluctuations. You could stick them under the plane in a styrafoam box, just like shipping it, but saving you the cost of overnighting.

ReefWreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/02/2008, 05:44 PM   #6
rbursek
Moved On

Limited liquids thru security!

rbursek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/02/2008, 06:18 PM   #7
Bmgrocks
Registered Member

Exactly, I think you can only bring a limited amount of water in a container and it has to have been never opened? I'm not exactly sure.

I feel like i don't trust the "throwers" as they're called to handle my little Styrofoam box carefully as they launch it into the very cold cargo hold.

Hmmm

Old 03/02/2008, 06:28 PM   #8
lakwriter
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bmgrocks
Exactly, I think you can only bring a limited amount of water in a container and it has to have been never opened? I'm not exactly sure.
The volume of liquids and gels applies only to carry-on items. Individual containers can carry no more than 3 oz each and all containers carrying liquids MUST fit in a sealed 1 QT Ziplock bag. Containers dont need to be unopened. I've carried lots of partial bottles of saline/moisturizer/shampoo, etc. through. As long as they all fit in your QT-size baggie. Also, they must be put through the scanner. Not sure what effect the X-ray machine might have on live animals. A friend of mine tried to carry on an unopened bottle of wine from Napa Valley on our most recent trip home from San Fran. They made her leave it behind.

Checked items are a different story. I don't think there are restrictions on liquids in checked bags, but I could be wrong. Check with the airline. Also, anytime you transport live animals or plants, I believe you have to claim them with the airline so they know. I'd be skeptical about baggage handlers respecting the styrofoam box, but hey, how else are they shipped for wholesale/retail?

29 g FOWLR
37# LR, 35# LS
2 green chromis
2 ocellaris clowns
a very social peppermint shrimp
and various snails and hermits
lakwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/02/2008, 07:42 PM   #9
FourWindsDealer
Registered Member

I don't think the airlines would have a problem..... It's the TSA you have to concern yourself with in regards to carry-on items.

FourWindsDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/03/2008, 08:34 AM   #10
Bmgrocks
Registered Member

Your right maybe i'll just pack it like I'm shipping it with heat packs and the works and slap a this is a dam fish be careful for Christ sake. haha

I would ideally however want to carry it on board with me, I'd feel more responsible if something were to happen and wouldn't be tempted to blame those dam baggage people!

Old 03/03/2008, 08:38 AM   #11
nate4546
Registered Member

You can transport them in checked luggage

Current Tank Info: 120g
nate4546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/03/2008, 08:44 AM   #12
useskaforevil
Registered Member

yea, last time i checked a bag they shattered all the plastic internal structure of the bag busted a tripod and bent the metal, i dunno if i'd trust checking it.

Current Tank Info: 80gallon bowfront
useskaforevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/03/2008, 10:48 AM   #13
Hal
Registered Member

You definitely CANNOT bring them carryon. I had a friend try this a few months ago coming back from Hawaii. He ended up having to run around the airport to find the FedEx counter and shipped it home that way.

I can't remember why he didn't try it as checked baggage. I'm sure there was a reason.

Bottom line, call the airline first.

Current Tank Info: 250g starphire: 72x28x30, BeanAnimal drain with an oversized non-durso emergency drain, 4 inch DSB, 3x Reefbreeders Value LED fixtures, SWC/MSX 300A skimmer, Geo kalk reactor, 3 Vortechs w/bb, carbon reactor, and a RKL
Hal is offline   Reply With Quote