Reef Central Online Community
Marine Depot

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 01/11/2008, 10:41 AM   #1
Ronny#66
Registered Member

Rena Filstar XP1 canister filter

I am using one of these on my 25 gal reef tank. Every monthIhave been takeing it apart to rinse foam pads one pad biweekly. When I put filter back together and flip handle to fill chamber back with tank water. A white egg white like matter blows out of filter outlet what a mess but snails and crabs go nuts over it. I finaly figured it's the slime in hoss and maybe head of pump on canister housing that you can't get at it's sealed. My ? is is this stuff bad for tank It does it every time I maintain the filter.

Ronny#66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/11/2008, 12:46 PM   #2
ahullsb
Registered Member

Hmm. I have the same filter and I have never seen anything like that. Can your get picture of it? Are your fish actually eating it?

Sacramento, CA

Current Tank Info: 55 gallon reef w/20 gallon sump/ER135/ 75 pounds of live rock, 4 in sandbed, 2 b&w ocellaris clowns, yellow watchman/pistol, rosy scaled wrasse, Mystery wrasse, Copperbanded Butterfly, Lighting 48" outer orbit 2 150 mh/ 4 t5 actinics
ahullsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/11/2008, 01:17 PM   #3
taillonjohn
Registered Member

I agree with the above, same filter, havent seen what you see. There are tons of bubbles when starting up the syphon again, but nothing that the fish can eat

Old 01/11/2008, 01:44 PM   #4
MSU Fan
Registered Member

I have seen it on my xp1 many times. I run that filter on my turtle tank, so my concerns are a little diff than yours. I think that it is bacteria/algae buildup inside the translucent hoses and the housing. I have never experienced a problem with this over the 2+ years I have had that filter running on my turtle tank.

1-29g FW

5-cats, 1-dog (Shepherd Mix)

Current Tank Info: To be set up 44g corner pentagon
MSU Fan is offline   Reply With Quote