Reef Central Online Community
Marine Depot

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Northern Valley Reefers (NVR)
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 06/16/2006, 05:04 PM   #26
Jesus
Registered Member

Ed, if need help, just howler. There are a few of us here in TRacy that have a reef tank. I myself is in Tracy as well. Always welcome just to shoot the breeze.

jesus

Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/16/2006, 06:53 PM   #27
plankton
Registered Member

Ed - Welcome aboard and just holler when you are free and we can hang en mass and trade reef keeping tips and tricks.

Scott

Old 06/21/2006, 09:05 AM   #28
Aquarist Guru
Registered Member

welcome aboard ED I live in Tracy as well always happy to help, I am learning as I go but I'm happy to assist any way I can.

(209)830-7266 (Jarrod)

Current Tank Info: 100 Gallon Plexy with 35 Gallon Sump
Aquarist Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/21/2006, 09:06 AM   #29
Aquarist Guru
Registered Member

By the way I stopped off at Carters and dumped about 30 cards for NVR there in hopes to save some more poor soles, a week later they were gone.

and so was the new LTA and Blue tang I rescued =)

Old 06/21/2006, 09:42 AM   #30
plankton
Registered Member

Jarrod - Watch that blue tang. Had to QT mine in a tub to clear out the ick.

Old 06/21/2006, 09:46 AM   #31
drdoolittle
Registered Member

Hi Scott, Jesus, and Jarrod,

I have heard good things from some fellow BAR member about some of you guys. I would like to someday meet all of you and see your set up. I am trying to take some note on peoples set up and tip on maintaining the tank. I am sure that i have lots to learn from all of you. If you guys need anything or want to do some trade, please feel free to contact me at 510-378-5957 or 209-835 8919.

Thanks,

Ed

drdoolittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/23/2006, 12:07 AM   #32
Aquarist Guru
Registered Member

was nice to meet you today Ed I love the tank can't wait to see it all grown in. You definitely have a ton of gear I'm interested in let me know what we can do to make that all work out.

Old 07/10/2006, 10:32 AM   #33
TaubBaer
Premium Member

Hi,
I'm Billy and I am full time student at Delta College to be an Network Technician. Yes, I will be going to 3 night classes in Tracy. Eck!

I started the saltwater hobby 1 1/2 years ago. I'm still learning, yeah, I killed all corals but 4 1.5 years old fishes are still happy swimming. I believe that the 20 gallon tank is harder to control due to chemical spikes, temps, and others. I wanted to upgrade to 90 gallon tank. I had been working on the list with help from Danny at Carter's. Before I spend $3k, I need your options on those lists.

Current Tank Info: Current: 54g corner (RIP)
TaubBaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/10/2006, 12:04 PM   #34
Jacob D
Registered Member

Hi Billy. Good to see another Stocktonian reefer

I attended Delta College as well, and acutally worked there part time while going to school. I was working for Sal Vargas as a network tech - the last I heard he became an instructor there (was the former network admin). Is he still around that you know of? If so tell him Jacob says hi! Ok enough about me

20g is a little more tricky than say a 90, but experience plays a part too. You made a good decision to ask the club for input also (nothing against Danny - but you can't beat the combined experience of a reef club). I'll take a look at your 90g thread and give you my thoughts.

Welcome aboard, if possible I hope you can make the BBQ this month, or maybe a future meeting. (http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...hreadid=875515)

Current Tank Info: Retired from reefing...
Jacob D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/10/2006, 04:48 PM   #35
plankton
Registered Member

Ed,

It was great checking out your main tank last Sunday. Sweet setup. Let me know if those changes we talked about make sense.

Billy - Wow, $3K. Might want to get some advice from fellow reefers before dropping $3K on a 90 gallon tank.

PS Billy - Ed has a couple systems for sale so U might want to ask him what he wants for his...

Welcome aboard!

Scott

Old 08/06/2006, 08:54 PM   #36
sknlim
Registered Member

Hello,

My name is Lim. I live in Modesto and travel to Stockton. I'm from CVR and also wonder around here. I pretty much down graded to a JBJ 24 gallon nano about 3 months ago. I'm keeping things simple due to my hectic schedule.

sknlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/06/2006, 08:57 PM   #37
Bdimas
No on 15

Hey Lim

Welcome to NVR!

Current Tank Info: 90gallon mixed reef.
Bdimas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/07/2006, 07:47 AM   #38
Jacob D
Registered Member

Hi Lim. Glad to see you found your way over here. How's the business venture going?

p.s. If you register on our website you'll receive emails when NVR events are coming up etc... It's all free and no obligation: http://nvreefers.org/membership.php

Hope to see you at a future meeting.

Old 08/07/2006, 03:28 PM   #39
sand02
Registered Member

Hi Lim,
I am always glad to hear that there are other nano tanks out there.
I have a 12 gallon which works best for me. I must confess I am a bit lazy with the upkeep but the tank continues to thrive. Welcome to NVR.

Sandra

sand02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/07/2006, 11:25 PM   #40
sknlim
Registered Member

Hey thanks a lot everyone. I feel warm and cozy. It's easier for me to attend events around here.

Sandra - Yes, im glad its only 24 gallons of water. It's also better than not having a tank. I just hate the heat.

sknlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/16/2006, 10:08 AM   #41
povsan
Registered Member

Smile

Hello,

My name is PO like po' boy after I'm done with my tank! Ha! I'm a Stocktonian, also a big hotwheels collector... anyone???
I've been reading and following these forums for awhile now, anyhow I'm glad I'm doing this.... it all started when I wanted to upgrade my freshwater tank. Walked into Cater's and BOOM saw this beautiful reef tank.... a couple hours later I had a 72 gallon bowfront. Danny and his crew set it all up for me. So here I am, looking forward to learning more from everyone here. Have some softies and a few fish... waiting for my Mandarin.

povsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/16/2006, 11:33 AM   #42
lanxang
Registered Member

Welcome to RC and the money pit call reefing. Take picture as your tank progress.

Did you let your tank cycle first before putting in the coral and fish in?

I'm was a hotwheel collector. I still have about 100+ treasure hunts. I haven't look at them for about 4 years. Did the market pick up on them again?

lanxang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/16/2006, 11:59 AM   #43
povsan
Registered Member

Yes my tank cycled for about a month or even longer with just live rocks 100 lbs. Danny advise me on quite a few things... especially on being patient. I let nature did it's coarse. Oh as far as hotwheels..... they're still HOT as ever.

Old 08/16/2006, 12:53 PM   #44
lanxang
Registered Member

strangely enough when when I walk into stores, I still check and see if they had any treasure hunt.

Maybe once you get going, we can trade hotwheels for corals. .

So what kind of lighting, filtation, etc you have running in your tank?

Lak

Old 08/16/2006, 01:20 PM   #45
Bdimas
No on 15

Hey Po welcome to NVR!

Old 08/16/2006, 01:33 PM   #46
Jacob D
Registered Member

Welcome to the club! Looking forward to meeting you and hearing more about your tank.

Old 08/16/2006, 03:32 PM   #47
povsan
Registered Member

Thank you everybody.... and Lak..... hotwheels for corals sounds pretty good to me. A little about my tank. I have a 72 gallon Oceanic bowfront w/built in overflow, a little over 100 lbs. of live rocks, I'm using crushed corals for my substrate and some live sand, 48'' Coralife metal halide, (3) 900 maxijet powerheads, 15 gallon Oceanic sump, and a protien skimmer, I think thats all I have.

Current residents; (1) Sailfin Tang, (2) Percula Clowns, (1) Firefish, (1) Lawnmower Blennie, (2) Cardinals, (2) Coralbanded Shrimps that spawns every 2 weeks or so, (3) Peppermint Shrimps that I just got to kill my 5-6 aptasia before they take over( I've tried lemon juice), (4) Clams mixtures in size and species, and of coarse my mixtures of softies and shrooms.

RIP; (1) Yellow Tang (newbie mistake.. very first resident)
(1) Firefish,

I'm still figuring out how to post pics, hopefully soon... thank you and happy reefing!!!!

Old 08/16/2006, 10:14 PM   #48
lanxang
Registered Member

go to the link to for instructions on posting pics and good luck with the tank.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...hreadid=333197

Old 09/23/2006, 08:21 PM   #49
Sara7814
Registered Member

Hi, Im Sara. I just recently got interested into the hobbie. I live in Corning California. I dont think I have found anyone really near me. I am hoping to meet new people and see where it takes me. I have lots of questions and will need lots of help. Hoping you guys are willing to help me out. I am setting up a new project and maybe within 6months give or take some i will have it done but first i need to get my first tank up and going

i have purchases a 36 gal bow front.. i was supposed to have it yesterday well everything else came in but the tank..just my luck

there are misc items that i got but this is the main part..

tank
stand
skimmer
heater
filter (can be used as powerheads or so i have been told)
lights for the coral
live sand
oceanic salt
live rock
hydrometer
thermometer
hmmm..im sure there is something i am forgetting to add.

Well if anyone wants to help me out with tips and such go ahead.. im taking all info given.
Anyone in my area.. let me know. It would be nice to meet you and to have someone in my area when things get bad or i have questions

Sara

Sara7814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/23/2006, 08:28 PM   #50
Bdimas
No on 15

Hey Sara welcome to NVR. Sounds like you have a pretty good start. Fire away with any questions and im sure you will get some good answers.