Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 06/17/2009, 08:30 PM   #1
ptr13
Registered Member

bleaching of sps???

I was just wondering what causes bleaching with sps,my parameters are dkh at 10,calcium at 440 and mg at 1500. I also redirected my koralias to increase circulation,just notice bleaching lately. Is it the dosing of strontium or iodine to the system?

ptr13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/21/2009, 09:52 PM   #2
michael.lemke
Registered Member

I had a problem recently... You need to look at any changes in your daily routine or in the tank. My problem was a new ballast driving the light better. I shortened the photoperiod and everything started to look better in a few days. Too much strontium and iodine could be a prob...

michael.lemke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/22/2009, 01:57 AM   #3
ngn8dogg
Registered Member

Bleaching is usually caused by high/ low temps. Change in lighting, alk swings, I had sps bleach a few months ago due to a bad thermometer.

ngn8dogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/26/2009, 04:11 PM   #4
ginger7286
Registered Member

I am experiencing the same problem with my SPS too. It just started about 2 weeks ago. I am running T-5's and I have it close to the top of the tank (about 4-6") down. Could it be too close to the lights?

Current Tank Info: 125 Reef Tank, Precision Marine equipment with a live rock/sand filtration. 30G. Nano with 2 percs and a beautiful little Flaming Prawn Goby.
ginger7286 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/27/2009, 09:47 PM   #5
GPhiAce
Registered Member

What changes have been made lately, and what lights are you running?? how long have you have the corals. Mine bleach when i get new corals and put them in too much light too quick. The iodine may also stress them. Look at you recent changes and go from there. The params look Ok, mg, alk, ca, so look at the the temp and lighting now. try a shorter photoperiod for a week or so.

Current Tank Info: empty 120 gallon glass box. wanna help fill it? sps and palys please
GPhiAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/27/2009, 11:02 PM   #6
ptr13
Registered Member

Thanks guys,did a water change and it seems like its just my teal stag bleaching,the others are growing well,temps stay constant at 78 due to a chiller but I really feel like overdosing on strontium did it or iodine.

ptr13 is offline   Reply With Quote