Reef Central Online Community
Tampa Bay Saltwater

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 11/27/2006, 07:00 AM   #1
dwculp
Registered Member

Coralife Super Skimmer Tips?

I bought a Coralife Super Skimmer 125 a few days ago for my 75 gallon FO tank. I have been running the tank skimmerless for a couple of years and I finally broke down and bought a skimmer for it. I bought the Coralife super skimmer because it seemed to come highly recomended here on RC.

I cant it to skim anything but super wet skimmate which has the look of VERY weak tea. I cannot get it adjusted quite right. It either doesnt skim or skims extremely wet skimmate that fills the cup up quickly.

Any tips?

Current Tank Info: 10 years - Currently have a 100 FOWLR
dwculp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/27/2006, 08:03 AM   #2
Copacetic
Registered Member

Hey There,

Make sure nothing is blocking the output tube. Some back-pressure may make the water level too high in the chamber and this doesn't give adequate time for dry foam formation. Airline and everything hooked up correctly? Is it getting enough air in?

Let me know if that helps!

-Raz

Copacetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/27/2006, 08:11 AM   #3
jpitch
Registered Member

I have the CSS 125. Try playing with how deep your feed pump is in the water. I am finally comfortable with the nozzle roughly 3 inches under the surface. I try not to touch the knob and top off with FW to keep it at the same level everyday. That adjustment knob is so damn touchy. Eventually you'll get the hang of it and make every so tiny adjustments. It's an excellent skimmer, though. Good luck!

Old 11/27/2006, 12:08 PM   #4
luke30mm
Registered Member

i agree with jpitch it will just take some time slowly adjusting the level with the red knob.
one thing i do suggest tho is if your using the HOB method mod the top cap and put in a tube in instead of the breather hole and route it back into the tank so until you find your "sweet spot" you won't have to worry about floods just my POV

luke30mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/27/2006, 12:27 PM   #5
Liquid Hobby
Registered Member

I put an air pump on th eend of th eair tube to force air in. Next I may mod the impeller to create better bubble produciton.

120 DT/200 G mixed reef: birthed on Dec 1, 2010 * Neptune Systems controller * 40G Sump + 40G Fuge which gravity feeds into DT * Huge Reef Octopus Skimmer * Calc, GFO and Carbon RXs * 2x250W 20K Radium MH with VHO supplement * 3600 GPH closed loop with OM 4 way * 1700 GPH return
Liquid Hobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/27/2006, 01:23 PM   #6
newreefbishop
Premium Member

If you just put it in the system a few days ago you should give it some more time. It took mine about 2 weeks before it started getting out the gunk in the system. Now with no adjustment it skims dry black goo out of the water.....and try to keep your hands out of the system as much as possible.

The 65 is gone the 110 is in, click the red house for the 110. *Updated

Current Tank Info: 110 gal R/R AGA with 40 gallon DIY fuge/sump, 2 AI Sol Blue LED modules, RKL system, Vortech Powerheads, Softies, LPS and SPS. Fox Face, Coral Beauty, Goby, a mated pair of Midnight Black Photon Clowns, BTA, Sebae and small critters everywhere
newreefbishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/27/2006, 01:44 PM   #7
dwculp
Registered Member

Thanks for the replies and tips. Based on what was said, I took and cut the feed hose that goes from the pump and into the skimmer in half and did some adjusting on the return bubble trap.

I will give it a few days and see what happens. I hope it works out, the Bak-Pak 2RR I have on my reef tank was sooooooo much simpler - remove from box, place on tank, plug in.

Old 11/27/2006, 05:16 PM   #8
Nano Chris
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Liquid Hobby
I put an air pump on th eend of th eair tube to force air in. Next I may mod the impeller to create better bubble produciton.
If you have to do that then you probably have some salt buildup, mine stopped because of that, i did try the air pump also, it works about the same.

I think if you put a ball valve on the return you can help keep the skimmer more adjusted, because if the water gets low/high the skimmer doesn't keep the same level in the chamber.

(Just got back into the hobby)

Current Tank Info: 34 Gallon RedSeaMax!
Nano Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/27/2006, 06:34 PM   #9
FullPull
Registered Member

Any one ever try a gate valve for control ?..1" gate valve is pretty expensive mod on a skimmer as cheap as a CSS thoough. Just curious, I have a 125 that I did the pvc and mag filter mod to.

Current Tank Info: 55 gl, 20 gl sump, GU10 Led, Reef Keeper lite, Modded CSS 125 Skimmer, Phosban Reactor, Mag 7 Return Pump, DIY Refugium
FullPull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/29/2006, 08:24 AM   #10
dwculp
Registered Member

I cut the feed hose in half (the hose that goes from the pump into the skimmer). I also trimmed the air intake hose as it was WAY too long. In addition I also adjusted the bubble trap and it is now skimming - but only a little.

I have learned that the adjustment knob is VERY sensitive, to the point that a 1mm adjustment can make a huge difference.

I am stil disapointed in the skimmer, at least at this point. My CPR Bak-Pak 2 on my 40 gallon skims WAY more than this thing on my 75 gallon.

I will keep playing with it (after letting it run for a few days more) and hopefully I can get it skimming well.

Old 11/29/2006, 08:48 AM   #11
Shagsbeard
Registered Member

I run my CSS125 with the top of the bubbles half way up the vertical tube bellow the collection cup. When I first started using it, I had it set way too high.

Don't be disappointed yet. It takes weeks for a skimmer to start working correctly.

Shagsbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/29/2006, 09:30 AM   #12
dwculp
Registered Member

I am having one other difficulty with the skimmer that I have been unable to fix. The pump leaks air where the impeller cover meets the pump. I sometimes have this problem with my Bak Pak skimmer and I twist and turn the impeller cover until it gets a good seal. I have been unable to do that with this pump and so it is leaking fine micro bubbles into the tank and losing skimmer efficiency.

Old 11/29/2006, 03:21 PM   #13
dwculp
Registered Member

Skimmer pics

Here are pics I took of the skimmer today. This is two days of skimmate. Looks light and wattery to me!