Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 11/26/2006, 08:23 PM   #1
dwculp
Registered Member

Velvety Red Algae....

I have some velvety red algae growing on the LR in a couple parts of my tank. First, it is NOT cyano. I know cyano, what it is and how to rid myself of it. This stuff is actually pretty cool, it has a deep burgandy red color, is very velvety in appearance and will not come off of the rock easily. It is not stringy, slimy or anything such as that.

Any idea of what it is and if I should scrub it off the rocks?

Current Tank Info: 10 years - Currently have a 100 FOWLR
dwculp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/26/2006, 08:33 PM   #2
sir_dudeguy
Registered Member

is it like this? if so, i'd also like to know what it is, as it is in the back of my tank lol.

Old 11/26/2006, 08:38 PM   #3
dwculp
Registered Member

No, mine does not look like that. Mine is not hairy at all and is a very deep burgandy color, like a red wine. It is also thin, it really does look like red velvet laid on the rocks. It is only on some of the liove rocks and not on the sand at all. It is also very much on the rock, in other words it strongly attached like a boring sponge. If I were to get it off it would require serious scrubbing.

Old 11/27/2006, 06:39 PM   #4
TonyOrlando
Registered Member

I have some of that type of red velvety algae on my LR. Im not sure what it is, but im pretty sure its from over feeding. The reason why is that a few weeks back some of my fish developed ich and i started feeding them with garlic exttract food 3x more than i normally did (once per day),prior to them getting ich. I think that the food is high in phosphates which creates diatoms, which helps feed nuicense(spelling?) algae. I know it wont hurt anything, but it isnt a great algae to have.

TonyOrlando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/30/2006, 07:58 AM   #5
moogoomoogoo
Premium Member

I too have a type of algae thats exactly like you describe. Its not cyano, nor is it like whats in this picture on this post. I recall someone months ago with a similar problem and someone suggested a creature that ate it. Anyone recall this?

moogoomoogoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/30/2006, 08:10 AM   #6
ralphie16
Moved On

I have this velvety algae on my live rock in one of my tanks that has only a single cleaner shrimp living in it, who I am definately NOT overfeeding, so maybe overfeeding is not the only culprit.

i actually think it looks very nice and plan on leaving it alone.

ralphie16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/30/2006, 08:11 AM   #7
funkyman
Registered Member

There've been a lot of threads about this algae lately, and evidentally Mexican turbo snails have proven effective.

Old 11/30/2006, 08:24 AM   #8
dwculp
Registered Member

So far, this stuff has not spread like wild fire. It is actually quite pretty. Ublike most green algae, thiis stuff in ON the rocks, I mean it is very hard to scrub off with a brush. It is almost as if it has bored slightly into the rock.

Old 11/30/2006, 08:40 AM   #9
six.line
Registered Member

I think I have this stuff too. I tried scrathing some off with my fingernail (didn't have anything else available) and it was tough to get off.

I assumed it was cyano, because I have had cyano problems in the past. I'm curious, what convinces you that it's not cyano? The appearance, or is it something else?

Current Tank Info: 30 gallon with 10 gallon sump
six.line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/30/2006, 08:43 AM   #10
dwculp
Registered Member

Well, cyano is normally thin, easily removed, spreads quickly, and grows on the sand and rocks and normally is not this deep red burgandy color. This seems different than cyano, although I am not an expert,. maybe it some form of cyano?

Old 11/30/2006, 09:32 AM   #11
loup
Premium Member

I have this too. It only grows on the rock and has a nice deep red color. It initally was on one live rock for a month and now there's another batch growing on another rock on the other side of the tank. I'll see if I can take a pic tonight to show.

Fat Fish = Happy Owner

Current Tank Info: a nano with fishies ...
loup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/30/2006, 09:40 AM   #12
Ixthys
Premium Member

I think this thread has become about the picture posted, and not about the velvet stuff the original poster was asking about.

dwculp,
Do you notice and red planaria in your tank? They can for sheets of what you are describing. Most folks think it is the planaria itself forming the sheets of "velvet", but my guess is it is something the planaria are excreting.

Ixthys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/30/2006, 10:56 AM   #13
MJAnderson
Premium Member

I have it too. Mexican Turbos keep it mowed short. I have found nothing will remove it, even a wire brush. I've given up trying and am waiting for corraline to (hopefully) out compete it. Mine came on some LR I bought and I had nothing in my tank for 3 months so it doesn't come from overfeeding, since it got nothing for the three months. It grows directly in front of my powerheads as well, so high flow doesn't keep it in check.

MJAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/30/2006, 11:24 AM   #14
SirTony76
Registered Member

I had this problem--it was everywhere! I bought 3 turbos and they cleaned it up within about 2 weeks.

TP

SirTony76 is offline   Reply With Quote