Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 01/05/2007, 05:14 PM   #1
dwculp
Registered Member

Your worst nightmare/experience

I thought a neat thread would be to tell about your worst nightmare or experience in reef/fish keeping.

Mine was almost today. While teaching I went over to my 75 gallon FO tank and there was water all over the floor and the tank looked low. I thought "Oh no, the tank has cracked!" I didnt know where or how bad. I was panicked, wondering what to do with the fish. I couldnt say "Hey kids, sit tight, Mr. Culp is going to run to the fish store to buy an aquarium!"

I was expecting the tank to burst at any moment. I began a frantic clean up and tried to determine the source of the leak.

It turned out the HOB skimmer was leaking - thank God! I ended up cleaning it and putting it back on and it seems to be fine. I guess it got backed up. There was only about 3 gallons of water on the ground, but it sure seemed like alot.

My worst experience was battling dinos two summers ago. I came into the classroom after about a week away and it was HOT in my room. The district turns off the AC to the rooms during the summer but was not suposed to turn mine off. I had a tremendous amount of evaporation and the tank temp was 86 degrees!!!

Anyways, from that point on, I had a horrible dino outbreak. Everyday I would siphon and change water only to come in the next morning to a tank completely coated in thick brown goo. I was blowing though a bucket of salt every week or two.

It took me nearly three months to win the battle. But those three months were horrible. Imagine coming in everyday and finding your tank coated, almost 100% in thick brown goo.

I almost gave up. I never want to battle dinos again.

Current Tank Info: 10 years - Currently have a 100 FOWLR
dwculp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/05/2007, 05:20 PM   #2
drillsar
Registered Member

I made a mistake, I filled my sump to much and it overflowed, My wife wanted to kill me.

drillsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/05/2007, 05:38 PM   #3
kookerson
Registered Member

Probably not as bad as others' experiences........but i was building my sump and cracked the entire back glass pane on my 50 gallon.....and I dont even have my main tank yet! Hope it isnt a sign of times to come......

kookerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/05/2007, 05:59 PM   #4
kfowler
Premium Member

Warping canopy tops? Built 2. Bot have warped. Frustrating.

"You cannot achieve what you are not willing to pursue."

Current Tank Info: 20g Mixed Reef
kfowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/05/2007, 06:10 PM   #5
Sk8r
RC Mod

Getting all my fish moved by car from Baltimore to OKC, only to lose all but one to a pump failure in my first week in the new home.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, chromis, royal gramma basslet, tailspot blenny, ocellaris clown, yellow watchman, chestnut turbo snails, bristleworms, couple of hermits.
Sk8r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01/05/2007, 06:29 PM   #6
pony_killer
Registered Member

mine was leaving my skimmer on super wet over night to wake up to the smell of burning plastic and the sound of water getting into the surge protector. the skimmer is hob so the water leaked all the way to the floor...luckily i have marble tile and it wasn't that big of a mess...just a potential fire hazzard. cleaning up was a pita though. now i got all my electrical stuff such as my surge protectors on top of shoe boxes and the wires form sort of a U shape from the top of the tank all the way to the bottom so if anything leaks it just spills on the floor instead of the surge protector or outlets.

pony_killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/05/2007, 07:22 PM   #7
english83
Registered Member

An ice storm that cuts out the power. And knowing that the only way to try and save the tank would have been to sacrifice my car battery for the power inverter. And at the same time moving the reptiles into carying cases and putting them next to the fire place and making sure that they weren't too close or too far away.

Current Tank Info: none at the moment
english83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/05/2007, 07:26 PM   #8
addicted_2_reef
Registered Member

Came home after a long weekend to find found my protein skimmer had fallen over and leaked about 5 gallons onto my carpet. It dried real quick and my carpet had this nice crunch to it when you walked on it.

Old 01/05/2007, 07:28 PM   #9
Entropy
Texas Reefer

I guess so far it would be leaving my tank in my old house with the new owner who I am hoping is doing as good a job as he said he would. That is definately a down side of moving across the country.

150G cube FOWLR, 30g sump, ReefKeeperII, 3x Koralia 1400's, QuiteOne 3000, Reef Octopus DNWB150, 4x 30w Par38 LED.

Current Tank Info: 36x36x27 150g
Entropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/05/2007, 07:38 PM   #10
roader247
Registered Member

I've had two the first was a 30 gallon fish only salt water tank, we had owned out house about 2 months and we had a Chow dog and then we got a Lab puppy. my wife and I went to the store when we got home we found the tank had been dumped by the dogs. It was on the old fashioned iron stands. What a mess. The other was a 55 gallon fresh water tank, the front bottom seam split it drained in less than 3 minutes, I have never really trusted 55's again if you look down at a full 55 you will see how much the glass bows and puts pressure on the seams. Good Luck

Mark

Mark

Current Tank Info: 1 75 gallon fish only marine tank 1 55 fresh water tank and 1 29 gallon fresh tank
roader247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/05/2007, 08:26 PM   #11
Racing1
Registered Member

Mine would be the overflowing skimmer. I have my sump in the basement and went downstairs to the loud sound of splashing water. Looked in the sump and it was almost empty (50 gallons) on the basement floor. The air line on the skimmer clogged and it just about emptied the sump. Thank god it is in the basement and concrete floors. Just sweep the water to the sump pump.

Racing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/05/2007, 08:36 PM   #12
fishyvet
Awaiting Email Confirmation

My husband runs a line from our R/O unit in the kitchen to the tank in the living room to top off. Well, he was topping off the tank before work and forgot to turn off the water before he left the house. I came down stairs to find 100+ gal of water all over the living room saturating everything (stuff practically floating over the tile). The SG of the tank was 1.008 and all the softies were looking stressed. Both of the skunk shrimp lay dead on the bottom of the tank. I spent 6 hours using shopvac to get the water off the floor and removing water from the tank, adding salt, and putting it back. It was a great way for me to start my weekend. We bought a screamer the next day. That wasn't the first time the tank has flooded the condo, but it was certianly the worst. At least, aside from the shrimp, there were no other losses thankgoodness.

fishyvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/05/2007, 08:38 PM   #13
dwculp
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by roader247
I've had two the first was a 30 gallon fish only salt water tank, we had owned out house about 2 months and we had a Chow dog and then we got a Lab puppy. my wife and I went to the store when we got home we found the tank had been dumped by the dogs. It was on the old fashioned iron stands. What a mess. The other was a 55 gallon fresh water tank, the front bottom seam split it drained in less than 3 minutes, I have never really trusted 55's again if you look down at a full 55 you will see how much the glass bows and puts pressure on the seams. Good Luck

Mark
They are just not made the way they used to be. I have a 55 fresh and I never realized how thin the glass was until someone just gave me an old 55 with 1/4 inch glass. I can pick up my 55 by myself when it is empty, I couldnt lift this thing that was given to me by myself without getting a hernia and a slipped disk!

Current Tank Info: 10 years - Currently have a 100 FOWLR
dwculp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/05/2007, 09:03 PM   #14
ACBlinky
Premium Member

For me it's a tie between two different not-so-fun experiences:

1) One night around midnight I was taking one final look at the old 65g reef before going to bed and heard drip... drip... drip... One of the seals had sprung a leak. We were up until 5am getting all the rock, corals, fish and inverts into Rubbermaid tubs and buckets, scrounging all the old heaters and powerheads we could find to keep them alive until we could get to the LFS to buy a new tank at 9am. The only good part was that this happened on a Friday night, so we didn't have to work the next morning.

2) I was finishing up some maintenance chores on the tank and neglected to notice a small puddle of water on my wood floor. I slipped, catching my arm on a sharp shelf corner and cutting it open, and landed face down cracking my jaw and bruising my cheek. Ow.

Current Tank Info: 150g mixed reef, 30g sump/refugium, LED lighting, 100lbs LR, coral beauty, flame angel, blue & yellow tangs, gobies, damsels, 6-line wrasse, lawnmower blenny, dottyback, clown pair, rabbitfish, shrimp, crabs, CUC.
ACBlinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/06/2007, 01:23 AM   #15
ozzmosis
Registered Member

My LFS came to drill my tank to install an overflow. We had lowered the water level to well below where we were going to drill. But, it didn't matter because we soon found out that the back glass was tempered as it spidered and water began gushing out of it. Luckily it was only a 29 gallon. So, we were able to get it outside before there was too much water on the floor. The other nice thing was I didn't have any livestock that I had to worry about. The other bonus was I ended up getting a free 55 gallon out of the deal!

I love the smell of Jet fuel burning in the morning!

In this hobby, you have to be careful not to catch AIDS (Aquarium Induced Divorce Syndrome)!

Current Tank Info: My tank is in the middle of a rebuild right now. I built this system over 2.5 years ago and just wasn't pleased with the outcome. So, this time around I'm improving things that I did poorly (aka "cheap") last time.
ozzmosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/06/2007, 07:17 AM   #16
alizarin
Registered Member

Buying ALLOT of coral from someone tearing down a tank, being really careful to acclimate it. Then smelling something like cooking wet dog only to realize the temperature sensor on the heater in the bucket was on top, not in the half that was submerged so I was aclimating my bucket 'o coral to 90 some degress. Miraculously everything lived.

alizarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/06/2007, 07:19 AM   #17
newreef25
Registered Member

I would have to say, school vacation - went home for a month, decided to throw on the automatic feeder - set the lights on a timer , apparently i must have flipped a switch and the timer only turned one light off (so one light was on all the time) came back after a week to check on it and Red Slime Algae kicked me in my A**. It was all over. and im still trying to fix it. . . .

newreef25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/06/2007, 03:38 PM   #18
casingbill
Registered Member

Wow, after reading some of these, I realized mine wasn't that bad.
It just happened today. I bought a Fluval 205 to run some carbon once in a while and do some water polishing. Me, being the know it all that I am, just quickly glanced at the directions. Slapped it all together. Started priming it. Flipped the aquastop lever down only to have water gushing out of the top seam. I quick shut it off tried to turn the pump on thinking it just had excessive pressure from me priming.......NOT.......didn't put the stupid gasket in!!!Dumped about 3 gallons of water on my hardwood floors. Almost drained my refugium.

READ the INSTRUCTIONS!!!

Current Tank Info: AGA 90g reef in works,
casingbill is offline   Reply With Quote