Reef Central Online Community
Live Aquaria

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 04/21/2007, 09:33 PM   #1
REEFRHEAD
Registered Member

Jawfish owners ?

OK I have a beautiful bluespot jawfish sitting in a small 10g qt right now with some sand of course and a bunch of random decorations, and soo far ive noticed that he can never be happy with a home he builds hes also relocating and digging a new burrow, and im worried about this because i have a dsb in my 220 where he is supposed to be going after his hypo treatment.i am worried about this because my rocks are just set on top of the sand bed and i dont want him burrying a new burrow and making a whole rock work collapse ebcause i didnt build the rock work then add the sand, so i can forsee a big problem happeneing here, so i wanted to know what all your experiences are with these gorgeous fish and their burrow digging and rock collapsing around them ? i dont want this guy destroying my rock structure but i have always wanted one in my reef for years

REEFRHEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/21/2007, 10:38 PM   #2
seapug
Registered Member

they will dig all over the place . usually right in the center of the tank. if you have a delicately balanced rockscape you might want to shore it up a bit because they like digging at/under the base of rocks. Cool fish though, hopfully you'll have better luck with them than I did. Mine did fine for 3 weeks then suddenly died. bummer.

Current Tank Info: 200 gallon custom Marineland DD peninsular tank. LPS dominated mixed reef. Previous 90 gallon mixed reef TOTM April 2009.
seapug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/21/2007, 11:14 PM   #3
REEFRHEAD
Registered Member

bummer seapug ya mines doing fine. so did yours dig untill the rock got to the glass bottom or just a little burrow without really destroying anything? the rock work isnt too delicate but i dont want to have to deal with a fish sinking down my rockwork 5 inches thorugh sand ya know

Old 04/22/2007, 01:15 AM   #4
Goodwood
Registered Member

ive had mine for several months, he digs all over the place. Moves around to a new spot every week and tries to jump out every night after the MHs turn off. They are cool but a PITA as the same time

Goodwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/22/2007, 09:26 AM   #5
luv2reef
Registered Member

my dsg dug everything up but not to the extent of rocks tumbling down. It's something that you have to live with...the cost of clean sand includes escavation piles and cloudy water, well worth it in my view awsome fish everyone loves watching him sift sand through the gills. How do you think your blue spot will adjust to the dsg, I had a watchman that pushed the dsg around pretty good. And I thought that the blue spot was really teritorial, does anyone have any 411 on this???

luv2reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/22/2007, 09:29 AM   #6
iku
Registered Member

goodwood, i've heard that if they don't settle down after a week or so, then the jawfish doesn't like its enviornment :O

iku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/22/2007, 09:44 AM   #7
luv2reef
Registered Member

my dsg dug everything up but not to the extent of rocks tumbling down. It's something that you have to live with...the cost of clean sand includes escavation piles and cloudy water, well worth it in my view awsome fish everyone loves watching him sift sand through the gills. How do you think your blue spot will adjust to the dsg, I had a watchman that pushed the dsg around pretty good. And I thought that the blue spot was really teritorial, does anyone have any 411 on this???

luv2reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/22/2007, 11:19 AM   #8
REEFRHEAD
Registered Member

well i dont really expect my new blue spot jawfish to be happy with it current environment its only in a little qt tank. so luv2reef he never really caused any serious prolem with your rock work then huh. well maybe ill take a chance, and i dont mind the clean sand and the mounds around his burrow i just dont want him to keep constantly picking away at my support structure. i have always seen jawfish right facing towards the front of the tank because they are notorious people watchers and im hoping he will stay on the left side of the tnak in the little island of rocks that isnt that big of a deal with the sand digging but my right side of the tank is complex and i dont want anything bad happening like my corals falling or my rocks holding my corals falling even though i made sure they where very stable when building it of course. Im not too worries abotu how aggressive the little guy is because the only other real sand sifting fish thta i want are a pair of yashia ray gobies so the tnak is plenty big enough for those little guys to find themselves a safe place Also i do have the baility to put the little guy in a different tank if i think hes gonna be too much of trouble because i will never be able to catch him just like my damn firefish that are in there now. any other experience woudl help thansk all