Reef Central Online Community
Tunze USA

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 06/04/2007, 02:49 PM   #1
Slakker
Premium Member

175W MH on 12g?

I've got an opportunity to pick up a 175w MH fixture for real cheap, but I'm concerned about the increased heat and evaporation. My tank averages about 76-77, so I could handle a few extra degrees of heat.

Is the added heat of a 175W MH fixture manageable without a chiller on my size tank? Temp in the tank area is pretty stable at around 70 degrees, I'd guess.

It's a complete retrofit, so I'd have to build a canopy or pendant of some sort. (which could include a fan) I also wonder about how high off the water I'd probably want to have it?

Thanks in advance!

Oceanic 58RR display/20H sump/fuge thread...follow the red house.

Current Tank Info: Oceanic 58g, 20H sump, AquaC EV-150, 175w Hamilton 14k + 2x39w T5HO Actinics
Slakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/04/2007, 04:04 PM   #2
Jadams
Registered Member

I think you'll be fine. Ive seen people dp 250w MH over 10g AGA's.

I would keep the light about 18" off the water surface so make your canopy around 22" tall.

Post some pics once youve made a decision!

Old 06/04/2007, 04:35 PM   #3
Slakker
Premium Member

I'm still really tempted to pick it up...I think $75 is a great price for a PFO ballast, reflector, socket, and a 14k bulb.

However, I'm just not sure that I can afford to replace the MH bulbs for $50 every 9 months or whatever...I've got s'more thinking and shopping around to do.

It is totally safe to mount the mogul socket/reflector in a wood housing, right? My mother's worried about me burning her house down...the temporary woes of a college student living in mom and dad's basement...lol

Current Tank Info: Oceanic 58g, 20H sump, AquaC EV-150, 175w Hamilton 14k + 2x39w T5HO Actinics
Old 06/04/2007, 05:50 PM   #4
Jadams
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Slakker
It is totally safe to mount the mogul socket/reflector in a wood housing, right?
Thats fine, but make sure you leave some room in between the reflector and the wood paneling. I made a canopy before and I used a Peice ov PVC pipe to run across the top of the inside of the canopy, and then actually just hang the MH inside the canopy from that.

You can also like i said before, just bolt the reflector onto a peice of 2x2, then bolt the 2x2 onto the top panel so the reflector isnt lying directly on the top panel itself.

Best of luck!

Old 06/04/2007, 06:02 PM   #5
Slakker
Premium Member

I'm planning on building a pendant basically, with an aluminum or wood housing around the bulb and reflector itself and a PVC frame that will sit on my stand and from which I'll be able to hang the pendant, that way it'll be much easier to tweak the height if necessary.

After looking things over, it looks like the cheapest suitable PC fixture is going to run me $65 (2x65w from aquatrader.com) and the bulbs are going to be $20-25 each...this MH fixture will be $75 and the bulbs are going to be $50-60 each. Aside from being a much bigger hassle (and perhaps the cost of building the extras to mount it) the MH I think will end up being the better deal in the long run. It'll allow me to keep absolutely anything I'd ever want to keep (I think, anyways) and won't end up being that much more money. If it turns out to be in good shape and not used all that heavily, I'm for sure buying it.

How long does a MH ballast usually last? I'm assuming it's magnetic, as the seller has given me very little details on the specs (I do know that it's made by PFO). I just don't want to end up having to replace the ballast in the near future.

Old 06/04/2007, 07:21 PM   #6
Slakker
Premium Member

The seller has informed me that the setup was used for about a year (the bulb presumably less than that) and that it is a magnetic ballast...also that theoretically a magnetic ballast will run forever. Is this true?

It sounds like he'll be e-mailing me some pictures of what he's selling this evening, so I'll post those here to double check and make sure it's worth buying.

Old 06/04/2007, 07:24 PM   #7
Slakker
Premium Member

There's a picture of the ballast. It looks to be in pretty good shape.

I am pretty much convinced that I will be buying this setup.

Old 06/04/2007, 08:12 PM   #8
oldreefer76
Registered Member

I would buy it, my 175w mh reflector is mounted directly to my wood canopy and no problems, mine is 9" off the water surface on a 15g and a small fan keeps my tank under 79f also mh bulbs are good for about 12 mos at 6 to 8 hrs a day and pc bulbs are good for about 6 mos tops and there intensity just pluments ( have used pc and will never go back) and the cost of replacing them adds up quick just my 2 cents

Current Tank Info: 15G and building
oldreefer76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/04/2007, 08:15 PM   #9
Slakker
Premium Member

Awesome...I appreciate the advice. I was thinking that the PC bulbs would last longer, but I guess they'd be on for longer periods of time.

I was thinking that adding one or two of these:
http://www.marineandreef.com/shoppro/power_nova.htm
in actinic would supply some good supplementation and be a cheap way to simulate a dawn/dusk cycle.

Thoughts?

Old 06/04/2007, 08:21 PM   #10
Slakker
Premium Member

I've decided to buy what he's selling me. I'll worry about actinics once I have that all figured out and up and running.

Thanks for the advice, all...but keep it coming. I'd love to hear some suggestions about how I should orient the bulb (socket at the back of the tank or off to one of the sides) and anything else I should take into consideration now that I'll be running MH.

Thank you all again (and in advance) for the help!

Old 06/04/2007, 08:21 PM   #11
Kaos
"Lurker"

I have a 175w MH powered by an IC ballast and using a 14K Hamilton bulb. I really like this setup. The bulb and reflector is mounted in a PFO style pendant that is suspended over the tank via a PVC holder/pole I rigged up (really not as bad as it sounds).

I think you will like the MH setup. The shimmer effect it has is great. And like you said you can keep pretty much any coral.

If you do a hood heat may be a problem. I have a fan that is pointed at my pendant (which is about 4" off the water's surface) because it was heating up my tank some. The fan is just a Walmart special (< $10) "squirrel cage" fan that I have plugged into my light timer so it comes on the same time as my light. I found that if I left the fan on all the time it caused my heater to run constantly (well almost). With the fan and lights on my tank stays around 79*.

Using MH's (and if you decide to use a fan) then I would highly suggest getting an ATO system. My tank evaporates about 2 gal. every 4 days. Without my ATO I would be constantly adding water and my SG would be swinging back and forth.

HTH.

Old 06/04/2007, 08:41 PM   #12
Slakker
Premium Member

I've been contemplating ways of mounting a small fan right into the pendant I build (similar to your setup, but with a home made pendant rather than the PFO) to keep the bulb cooler. Also, I think that if I have it farther off the water's surface I won't have as much of a problem with the heat.

I'd love to get an ATO, but I can't seem to find a fully automated one that is within my price range at this point. It's definitely another one of those "I'll be able to use this on a future tank upgrade" purchases for the future. I'm also planning on an eventual 10g sump/fuge, so a DIY like the "Tea Jar auto-topoff" would be plausible.

However, with tuition and other bills, the tank budget is not nearly as large as I'd like...and unfortunately the weather hasn't really been great for making money as a Lifeguard...lol

Anyways, I'm a little concerned about protecting my fish from jumping without the Eclipse hood...would eggcrate be a good cover for the tank?

Old 06/06/2007, 10:13 PM   #13
Slakker
Premium Member

Alrighty...I got it. I'm just about to start a thread for my build. Keep your eyes out for it if you're interested in seeing where it goes. I've been building a stand for it over the past months (well...much of the work was my father. He's far more a craftsman than I, but I've picked up a few things along the way.)

Old 06/07/2007, 12:01 AM   #14
Slakker
Premium Member

Here it is plugged in and warmed up for about 2 minutes. I was told the bulb is about 3 months old, but I really am not 100% sure. I figure I'll replace it in a couple of months to be safe.

I was also given two free frags of pulsing xenia...which is cool, 'cause it's my first coral, but as I understand it won't be long before they're taking over my tank...hehe.

Old 06/07/2007, 08:19 AM   #15
SNAKEMANVET
PREMIUM MEMBER

You will really like the mhs, over pcs.The bulb life is longer than 9 months, most bulbs last around 15 to 18 months. Running 10 to 12 hrs a day.

SNAKEMANVET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/07/2007, 02:49 PM   #16
meco65
Registered Member

On the bulb replacement get a jar and mark it lights. Add $8 on the first of every month in 8 to 9 months you have anuff money in the jar to buy a new bulb.

meco65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/07/2007, 03:01 PM   #17
Slakker
Premium Member

Great idea, Meco...thanks