Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 06/17/2017, 01:53 PM   #1
Cliving1
Registered Member

Do I need filter socks?

My imnovative marine 40 has filter socks. My problem is I never clean them. Everything in my tank is healthy, but I have trouble keeping hard coral. I looked in them and they have a lot of pineapple sponges. Is there any harm in gettin rid of them? Let me know, I want to take them out and want to know if I should do one at a time or something.

Cliving1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/17/2017, 02:43 PM   #2
tinfoilsoldier
Registered Member

Watch the BRS video on filter socks. https://youtu.be/LOJ6B-0p9c0

I have no filter socks on our 180 gallon, and I do have a sock on my 80 gallon setup at home and I try to swap it a few times a week but even that can be a pain.

If you have other means of nutrient export then you can certainly find balance without using socks to remove larger particulates

Current Tank Info: 180G at work, and RSM250 with basement sump at home
tinfoilsoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/17/2017, 02:56 PM   #3
Cliving1
Registered Member

Ok so that was a great video. Thank you for sharing. I would be on the once a month change. I just dont have the time as I technically am on call 24/7, and am also somewhat lazy when I get home, using weekends for maintenance. The only things I am consistent on are water changes, feeding, glass cleaning, and skimmer cleaning. I guess my question is, if I am going to clean them every few weeks (which I may miss), is it more harmful for my tank?

Old 06/17/2017, 03:00 PM   #4
Johnnybgood74
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliving1 View Post
Ok so that was a great video. Thank you for sharing. I would be on the once a month change. I just dont have the time as I technically am on call 24/7, and am also somewhat lazy when I get home, using weekends for maintenance. The only things I am consistent on are water changes, feeding, glass cleaning, and skimmer cleaning. I guess my question is, if I am going to clean them every few weeks (which I may miss), is it more harmful for my tank?
Imo that all depends on the bio load

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Johnnybgood74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/17/2017, 03:07 PM   #5
Cliving1
Registered Member

Ok so 40 gallon cube. 1 saddle back clown, 1 coral beauty, 1 neon pseudo chromis. 1 hammer, 1 toadstool, 2 zoa colony, 1 paly colony, 1 rlegance, 1 carpet anemone, 1 yuma, 1 ricordia, 1 green finger leather, 1 torch, 1 hammer, 1 frogspawn, 1 red mushroom, large cabbage leather. Hydor skimmer and kessil a150 (yes its like 10 years old but atill worka great). Feed everyday. Flakes one day, then 1 mysis cube the other. About a third goes to anemone. Would a picture help?

Old 06/17/2017, 03:15 PM   #6
Johnnybgood74
Registered Member

Quote:
Ok so 40 gallon cube. 1 saddle back clown, 1 coral beauty, 1 neon pseudo chromis. 1 hammer, 1 toadstool, 2 zoa colony, 1 paly colony, 1 rlegance, 1 carpet anemone, 1 yuma, 1 ricordia, 1 green finger leather, 1 torch, 1 hammer, 1 frogspawn, 1 red mushroom, large cabbage leather. Hydor skimmer and kessil a150 (yes its like 10 years old but atill worka great). Feed everyday. Flakes one day, then 1 mysis cube the other. About a third goes to anemone. Would a picture help?
Pics are always good..but I'd say if your testing and your parameters are good go with it....what works for me may not work for you and so fourth every tank is unique in whay it needs.

Old 06/17/2017, 03:18 PM   #7
Cliving1
Registered Member

I agree there. Now if I take them both out, will it be too dramatic of a change? When doing water changes I can always clean out the back compartments.

Old 06/17/2017, 03:20 PM   #8
Johnnybgood74
Registered Member

I don't think n it's gunna make a drastic change but I'd remove one and see how things change....one thing in this hobby is fast is not good

Old 06/17/2017, 04:07 PM   #9
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

Buy spare socks. I run 5 socks in two systems and I own about 40. Swap out the dirty for new and store the dirty ones in a container with a lid (I use a rubbermaid tote). After I get about 20 socks I do all of them in the washing machine. That's maybe once every 4 to 6 weeks.

Old 06/17/2017, 04:41 PM   #10
Cliving1
Registered Member

Thats a good idea, my only concern- she would kill me if I put those anywhere near the washing machine lol. Perhaps I should go the bulk route. Do you think it adds to water quality to use them?

Old 06/17/2017, 04:58 PM   #11
homer1475
Registered Member

I like using them if for nothing else then large particulate collection. If your not changing them every couple days, they are pretty worthless and end up becoming nitrate factories. Like you saw in the BRS video.

IMO I would just take them out. It's not like they are contributing to your biological filtration(although with the amount of time between changing them, they may be), and taking them out will not harm a thing.

I'm in the camp of changing every couple days, dumping in a bleach bucket, throw them in washing machine when I get a bucket full. My wife enjoys the tank also, and understand that I have to use the washing machine. Besides I use enough bleach t o kill a human let alone some simple marine life. The washing machine is actually cleaner when I'm done.

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/17/2017, 07:54 PM   #12
heathlindner25
Moved On

No..

heathlindner25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/18/2017, 03:21 AM   #13
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

If you use them and see how much big particle 'crap' they collect, you'll think they do. If you don't collect that stuff it just settles out in the sump.

Is it a problem for water quality? I really don't think so, but I can't say for sure. But I don't want all that stuff flowing around or settling out in my system.

I run mine until they start to hold water above the water surface where they are located. If they don't get pulled soon they will overflow. My 125g DT, with a 50g display refugium and a 50g sump has 3 socks and I have to change them about once a week or 10 days.

As for them being a nitrate factory... I consider that a total myth. If the sock collecting the stuff is a nitrate factory, what happens to your system if you don't collect it? Nothing. I've had occasions where I've been busy and let my filter socks get to overflowing back into the sump and nitrate in the tank doesn't change at all, it's always 0 to less than 5ppm all the time! And I don't run any reactors or dose any form of carbon!

Last edited by Ron Reefman; 06/18/2017 at 03:26 AM.
Ron Reefman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/18/2017, 04:12 AM   #14
trueperc
Registered Member

I keep around 10. It takes all of a minute maybe two to change. Like others, I keep them in a bucket, when I am on my last one. I put the dirty ones in the wash with some bleach and an extra rinse cycle. There is no smell in the machine after. If you are not going to be changing them more than at max once a week, then just lose them. It sounds like you are viewing them as a head ache and this is not something you want to half *** it as it can lead to issues. The BRS video speaks volumes. I change every three days. Just my 2 cents.

trueperc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/18/2017, 05:30 AM   #15
JTL
Registered Member

I have gone with and without, but I do agree with Ron they collect a lot of "junk" that would otherwise be floating or laying somewhere. I am going to incorporate some kind of sponge filter into my sump. I think they are easier to maintain. Just pull them, rinse and reinstall.

100 gallon DT and 50 gallon sump with refugium. Reefbreeders Photon V2+.
JTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/18/2017, 07:18 AM   #16
Pond Boy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathlindner25 View Post
no..
this^^^^

Current Tank Info: JBJ 12g
Pond Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/18/2017, 07:42 AM   #17
Cliving1
Registered Member

I really appreciate everyones feedback and both sides of the coin. I do agree that the most I would do is once a week, and therefore will be removing them both. I will let you all know if i see any differences in my tank.

Happy Fathers day

Old 06/18/2017, 11:59 AM   #18
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

Quote:
I really appreciate everyones feedback and both sides of the coin. I do agree that the most I would do is once a week, and therefore will be removing them both. I will let you all know if i see any differences in my tank.

Happy Fathers day
You shouldn't see much, if any, difference in the DT. The sump or refugium should catch most of the crude that socks collect. In 6 months you have a 1/2" deep base of crude and vacuum out the sump.

Old 09/09/2017, 08:54 AM   #19
Cliving1
Registered Member

Well I can't say for sure, but ever since I removed the filter socks, my tank has been on decline. My anemone is likely on its way out, and most corals looking a bit defeated. I did a few large water changes as nitrates spiked. Things are mostly back to normal. I also noticed a lot more particulate in the water.