Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 01/15/2007, 01:16 PM   #1
slider162
Premium Member

Tank Covering

After my clown jumped into the overflow and had a ride in the u-tube, I figured I needed to do something. I had some light diffusers, but also herd of small fish being able to jump through them. Someone on another thread mentioned some netting that they used, so I went looking. I first found some bulk roll purchases for "garden netting" to keep rodents out. I went looking for it at Home Depot today and found some plastic "bird netting". It is supposed to be UV and weather resistant. The opening isn't much smaller than the light diffuser and it is black. I would prefer clear or white, but will give it a try. There is a plastic ledge around the top of the tank where the glass would rest. I am going to drill and tap some small holes and find some plastic screws. Then I am going to stretch the netting around the screws. I have T5 lighting, so I don't have to worry about melting the stuff. Think it would work?

slider162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/15/2007, 01:19 PM   #2
zoomfish1
Registered Member

It would work as long as it dosen't diffuse too much light.

Current Tank Info: 75g RR, dsb w/90 lbs sand, 150 lb live rock, anemone & LPS tank
zoomfish1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/15/2007, 01:24 PM   #3
slider162
Premium Member

I'll see if I can get a picture of the stuff and a link to the manufacturer when I get home. It was like $6 for the huge roll.

Old 01/15/2007, 05:59 PM   #4
bllfish
Registered Member

You might want to make some sort of frame for the netting instead of the plastic screw idea.

Current Tank Info: 72 bow, 36" stand, 4 54W T5, vantec stealth fans, eheim 1260, mj 1200 & 2 Koralia #1 to WaveMaster Pro, CPR 24" Aquafuge HOB & 7100K PC, JBJ Arctica chiller, LiterMeter III
bllfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/15/2007, 06:24 PM   #5
slider162
Premium Member

Well, I pulled it out and it is the same size and the light diffusers. I'm now looking at monofilament cast nets, but they are pricey. I like the fram idea. I might use the diffuser as a frame. I am going to keep playing with it.

Old 01/15/2007, 06:37 PM   #6
AllenFord_SC
Registered Member

Why not just use eggcrate?

Current Tank Info: 150 Gallon Mixed, 55 Gallon sump, 35 gallon fuge
AllenFord_SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/15/2007, 06:46 PM   #7
AllenFord_SC
Registered Member

Here is where I get mine from. I like it because it's black but the also sell white, gold and silver egg crate as well. You buy it in 2ft. x 4ft. sections.

https://secure15.nexternal.com/share...unt2=755424141

Current Tank Info: 150 Gallon Mixed, 55 Gallon sump, 35 gallon fuge
AllenFord_SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/15/2007, 07:07 PM   #8
chrisstie
Premium Member

I had a midas blenny jump out of eggcrate =\ She was fast becomming my favorite

Current Tank Info: I find it odd that there are children starving in this country and yet we euthanize millions of stray dogs and cats every year and then incinerate the bodies. Not only that, but we make it illegal to butcher the meat. -MarkS
chrisstie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/15/2007, 07:16 PM   #9
bllfish
Registered Member

The only way I know of to keep any fish from jumping out is make your top cover the entire perimeter of the tank so there are no openings around the entire tank. If a fish jumps it bounces off the sides of the hood and falls back into the tank. Just have to make sure your lights are protected.

Current Tank Info: 72 bow, 36" stand, 4 54W T5, vantec stealth fans, eheim 1260, mj 1200 & 2 Koralia #1 to WaveMaster Pro, CPR 24" Aquafuge HOB & 7100K PC, JBJ Arctica chiller, LiterMeter III
bllfish is offline   Reply With Quote