Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Mantis Shrimp
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 01/12/2008, 04:02 PM   #1
TMPoften
Registered Member

Kid wants to test mantis

Some kid wants to put his finger in the 24gallon tank with my 5inch mantis, What is the worst that could happen?

TMPoften is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/12/2008, 04:22 PM   #2
Gonodactylus
Premium Member

He could lose his finger and possibly his hand due to infection. The actual blow could cause a stab to the bone or a severe bruise, and if the dactyl became embedded in the hand, there could be additional wounds from additional strikes and stabs by the uropods. The stomatopod could also be seriously injured as you tried to pull the dactyl free. However, the real danger is from infection. I have posted here in the past about a surgeon who lost part of his hand to an O. scyllarus wound. The bacteria was never identified, but it would not respond to any the of the usual antibiotics and continued to destroy his cartiledge, so there was no choice but agressively amputate

O.K. you asked the question and I gave you a straight answer. So now let me add that I hope that this is a hoax. If not and you are actually an adult who allows this to happen and there is an injury, you would be liable - and possibly criminally liable - particularly now that you have been informed of the possible consequences by someone who would probably be considered expert in the field. If you are the kid, grow up and keep your fingers to your self.

Roy

Gonodactylus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/12/2008, 04:24 PM   #3
TMPoften
Registered Member

I am an adult I was just curious what would happen. He never put his finger in the tank.

Thanks for the response

Old 01/13/2008, 12:35 PM   #4
lillurker
Registered Member

Cool, I'm glad to have a better response to friends asking this question, other than it would just hurt. Thanks Dr Roy.

Current Tank Info: 28 gallon bow front. Instant ocean skimmer. Aqua Tech 20-40 power filter, 2x65 Lunar Aqualight. Sump in work
lillurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/13/2008, 02:22 PM   #5
TMPoften
Registered Member

Yea, I have parties at my house a few times a month so this will also help with the disclaimer I am going to put on the tank. I was a little intoxicated when I made the post I am sorry if I offended anyone.

I was thinking of putting some small lock on the tank o.O? Just an idea.

Old 01/13/2008, 05:40 PM   #6
lillurker
Registered Member

I think a warning sign with this thread quoted would be a much better deterent

Current Tank Info: 28 gallon bow front. Instant ocean skimmer. Aqua Tech 20-40 power filter, 2x65 Lunar Aqualight. Sump in work
lillurker is offline   Reply With Quote