Reef Central Online Community
Blue Zoo Aquatics

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 09/29/2007, 07:44 AM   #1
tspors
Registered Member

Plumbing ?

Opinion on Spa Flex vs. PVC ?????

tspors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/29/2007, 07:52 AM   #2
scottfarcuz
Registered Member

I've used both several times on tanks, and had no real problems with either. The spa flex really isn't all that flexible without heat forming it to what you want. I generally use some flex on external pump inlets/outlets to try to isolate any vibration, but other than that I use mostly PVC.

I will say you need to be a little careful about gluing up the flex then bending it etc right away to fit other fittings. Its needs to cure up a little before you move it around too much.

Talking reef website had a cool story about a PVC pipe bender that looked pretty slick, and could maybe be rented? I thought about looking into that next time.

scottfarcuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/29/2007, 07:55 AM   #3
tspors
Registered Member

Thanks I am having the problem getting it on the barb connectors. The other concern is removal if I need to.

Current Tank Info: 150 Gal Oceanic, 30g Sump, Gen-X PCX-150 2250 gph, Red Sea Clasic Turbo Skimmer, 18w Turbo Twist UV, Ocean Clear Filter w/live rock, Several Buckets,
Old 09/29/2007, 07:56 AM   #4
tspors
Registered Member

My other systems in the past we all done with tubing

Current Tank Info: 150 Gal Oceanic, 30g Sump, Gen-X PCX-150 2250 gph, Red Sea Clasic Turbo Skimmer, 18w Turbo Twist UV, Ocean Clear Filter w/live rock, Several Buckets,
Old 09/29/2007, 08:04 AM   #5
scottfarcuz
Registered Member

It isn't made for barb connectors, but you could probably heat the end with a heat gun, or carefully with a torch. Slip it on the fitting and let it cool.

Carefully! Heating/burning PVC will make nasty fumes. Spa flex will probably also.

Old 09/29/2007, 08:32 AM   #6
Jefe12234
Registered Member

Spa flex is made to be glued into regular PVC fittings just like rigid PVC. If you want to use hose barbs, then use vinyl tubing. I've found spa flex to be pretty difficult to work with since it's not all that flexible, but heating it may help. Also, it requires a different kind of glue than rigid PVC (although people have used the regular glue without problem).

Old 09/29/2007, 08:32 AM   #7
tspors
Registered Member

do you glue spa flex to connectors? Someone suggested using the SPa flex but I am not sure I am liking it.

Old 09/29/2007, 08:57 AM   #8
scottfarcuz
Registered Member

Yes it is made to glue into regular slip PVC fittings.

Oatey makes an all purpose cement I use for both spa and pvc.