Reef Central Online Community
Tampa Bay Saltwater

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 07/03/2008, 03:14 PM   #1
Garrett
Premium Member

Back into reef keeping, starting a 14g BioCube, need critiquing

About two years ago I tore down my 75g reef tank before moving into a new house. I decided since I was going back to school, I wasn't going to have the time for a reef tank and pieced out and sold most of the setup.

Now I've got the itch again (and time! - done with all my Calculus courses!) , and picked up a 14G BioCube with stand at the LFS. Last week I filled it up with water and added some aragonite substrate and 10lbs of LR.

I have been disappointed with the protein skimmer options for a the BC14 (the BC29 has more options). I still have my old protein skimmer, an AquaC Remora Pro with a Mag3 pump attached to it. There is no way the Mag3 will fit in one of the chambers inside the tank. However, I think I can get a MJ900 or 1200 wedged in there. The hood will need to be modified to make this HOB skimmer work. Will an AquaC Remora Pro work well with a MJ1200?

My plans for this tank is to have zoos (lots of zoos) only and one small fish to keep bio load down.

Right now my plans for the setup are...
BioCube 14g
AquaC Remora Pro w/MJ1200
50W VisiTherm heater
Stock 72W PC lights
ChemiPure Elite in a bag (should I place the bag in the first chamber?)
Hydor Flo rotating water deflector attached to a MJ1200/orMJ900 (will the 1200 be a bit much for a 14g tank?)

I plan on custom making an acrylic or glass sump inside the stand to hold RO/DI water for auto top offs (I think I still have my Reef Fanatic control unit somewhere..)

Anyway, just throwing my planned setup out there for critiquing and comments. Thanks!

Garrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/03/2008, 03:30 PM   #2
dxtr
Registered Member

First off, welcome back to your addiction! we've missed you!

I have had my 14g for over a year now and love it. If you are not planning any real hard core sps (and with out a MH mod, it would be advisable) you can get away without a skimmer on the 14g. I do 10% water changes about every 2 weeks and everything is doing very well.

Catch up on the BioCube owners thread in this forum. Common mods are to remove bio balls and replace with LR rubble, upgrade pump (you've already done) add a flow deflector to the return, etc, etc.

Congratz and enjoy!

Shop smart.... shop S-mart. ~ Ash

Beware, I am the Thread Killer!

Click my LITTLE RED HOUSE for an awesome Photography Website!!

Current Tank Info: RSM Max 34g Born on: 6/25/08
dxtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/03/2008, 07:57 PM   #3
MikePowell
Moved On

I too am starting up a biocube 14 that is going to start to be set up tonight. I am using an mj1200 for the return, sunpod 150w MH, current 1/10 hp chiller, and a heater for now.

BTW congrats on completing your calculus courses. I just finished trig and am in calc1 now.

MikePowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/03/2008, 10:58 PM   #4
Garrett
Premium Member

Good luck with the Calc to you good sir, by far the toughest courses I will take in my undergraduate path.

Garrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/04/2008, 05:08 AM   #5
RetroAndreas
Awaiting Email Confirmation

It really is a great nano and I agree that a Protein Skimmer is not required.
Through my readings on this forum reefers seem to have problems keeping the skimmers adjusted properly.

Andreas

RetroAndreas is offline   Reply With Quote