Reef Central Online Community
Blue Zoo Aquatics

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 12/26/2007, 11:30 PM   #1
Saiyan
Registered Member

New tank or scratched tank? That is the question.

I have a 29gal eclipse tank that was given to me by a friend. When he gave me the tank the glass was already very scratched. Now that my tank is doing well and looking good the scratches really bug me. The question that I have is, is it worth it to change the tank only with an identical tank?(although maybe starfire glass) I have had the tank for 4 years, I have a 3 or 4 inch sand bed that I have never disturbed much. I have removed the live rock a couple of times but the sand has been left alone. I do not siphon.

If I were to change the tank only to get rid of the scratched tank would I be able to do so with minimal problems or will I get a load of crap by disturbing the sand bed. I have a lot of live rock probably about a 3rd of the volume of the tank and all stock filtration with no bio wheel. My parameters are stable as long as I keep up on water changes and the tank is very well matured. I am just wondering if I do the change will I be taking a step back or will I be able to stay where I am at as far as health and maturity of the tank?

Last edited by Saiyan; 12/27/2007 at 12:03 AM.
Saiyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/27/2007, 12:19 AM   #2
Saiyan
Registered Member

Oh yeah if I am over thinking it you can tell me that too.

Old 12/27/2007, 02:09 AM   #3
Saiyan
Registered Member

I guess what I am asking is am I missing anything? If I get a new tank this is how I see doing the transfer.
Take out the live rock and fish and put into buckets with their own water. Then take out as much water as I can and then transfer the sand to the new tank. Add a little water to the new tank and then rebuild the reef. When everything is back as close as I can get it follow up with several 10 - 20 % water changes over the next few days and be done with it. Is it that simple or do I have to try to clean the detritus out of the sand or is it beneficial to the system? And are their any reasons why this would be recommended against for only a glass upgrade?

Old 12/27/2007, 05:27 AM   #4
Capt_Cully
Registered Member

I would scrap the sand. use a cup of it or so to seed some new sand. If you disturb a 4 year old DSB, God only knows what you'll release into the water collumn (nitrogenous wastes, carbon based wastes...). JMO.

The rest of your plan looks spot on.

Current Tank Info: 120, Radion Gen 2 Pro x 2
Capt_Cully is offline   Reply With Quote