Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 12/25/2007, 03:08 PM   #1
The_Strobe
Registered Member

Skimmer Mod Question

Has anyone modified a Beckett type skimmer to add a recirculation pump? I havean Marine Technical HSA-1000 and I am thinking about modding it for recirc with a mesh impeller. The skimmer is a bit small for my system, 600+gallons, and I do not have the clearance to go with a big-taller skimmer. Will this help improve efficiency and therefore negate my needing a larger skimmer?

Current Tank Info: 300 gallon- fuge, sump, skimmer, reactor, closed loop
The_Strobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/26/2007, 12:16 PM   #2
The_Strobe
Registered Member

bump

Old 12/26/2007, 01:53 PM   #3
hahnmeister
Moved On

beckett type skimmers use regular paddle impeller driven pumps, usually ones with higher pressure. Running a needlewheel is a different thing all together. The two methods can not be combined.

hahnmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/26/2007, 03:03 PM   #4
The_Strobe
Registered Member

yep, I understand. I am driving the HSA with an Iwaki 70, BUT, what if I add a recirc pump to the HSA to chop the bubles up even more? A multi pump recirc skimmer is doing just that as well... chopping up chopped up bubbles... right?

Old 12/27/2007, 01:20 AM   #5
hahnmeister
Moved On

Okay, you could do that, but why? Why wouldnt you just use a needlewheel then and not the HSA/beckett/iwaki? If its a height thing, you could always force feed the pump with a linear air pump.

On a side note, needlewheels dont recirculate air for mixing, just water (and then the air is sucked in at the venturi and mixed, etc). Having a needlewheel pump that recirculates air as well as water would lower the skimmers overall air intake, as part of the pumps capacity would be wasted on air passing through again, taking away from its total potential.

hahnmeister is offline   Reply With Quote