Reef Central Online Community
Neptune Systems

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 12/30/2007, 08:44 PM   #1
Koots
Registered Member

Taking over aquarium maintanence

Hello, I've had my 200 gallon reef aquarium for about 5 years. I've gone through several different maintanence companys, and been unhappy with all of them. My fish never seem to have lasted more than 6 months or so (keep around 10) I've decided to do the maintanence myself. Currently, I have an outbreak of green hair algae. I've reduced the feedings, as I've been told I was overfeeding. Any suggestions on test kits? Pointers?

Koots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/30/2007, 08:50 PM   #2
McTeague
Moved On

How about some pictures of the setup?

What kind of fish are dying?

McTeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/30/2007, 08:58 PM   #3
jadeguppy
Registered Member

Questions:
What corals do you have in the tank?
What skimmer? size?
Sump? size?
Refugium? size?
How many pounds of rock?
ditto for sand?
Type oflights & how long are they on?

Basic tests: pH, nitrate, calcium, alkalinity, ammonia (suggest API brand/ Aquarium Pharmaceudicals)

Hair algea is usually associated with phosphates and nitrates, overfeeding is a possible cause. What type of food are you using?

I have been happy with Reef Crystals brand salt.

Use ro/di water, not tap (could also be a cause for hair algae). ro/di water helps control water quality, particularly important when housing corals.

Lastly, go to the bottom of the forums list and check if there is a club in your area. Local clubs are a wonderful source of information.

jadeguppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/30/2007, 09:23 PM   #4
Percula9
Registered Member

Check phosphates and nitrates, these fuel algal blooms.

Percula9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/30/2007, 10:44 PM   #5
Zestay
Registered Member

read up here take on maintence by yourself?

Zestay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/31/2007, 12:17 AM   #6
Rustylugnuts
Powdered Toast Man

Welcome to RC! There are a lot of great people here that are very helpful.
After you've posted answers Jadeguppy's questions check out this thread .
Once you get a bit of reading under your belt it will get a lot easier.

Current Tank Info: Buncha parts and tanks of various size. Nothing currently running :(
Rustylugnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/07/2008, 02:15 PM   #7
Koots
Registered Member

Thanks to all for your replies. Sorry for taking so long to post, I've been quite busy researching in order to try to "fix" my issues.

Only 10 fish in tank, but tech had me feeding 6 CUBES of frozen food every other day!! Scott's Petshop tech recommended 1 frozen cube, with freeze dried seaweed every other day. Protein skimmer never worked (I never had to empty the jug under my take). Cleaned line, now it's bubbling like crazy, removing waste.
Nitrate & Calcium levels HIGH, I've done several water changes, they're coming done (Calcium now at 600ppm- a bit more to go).
All other levels where they should be. I've added fresh sacks of Activated Carbon and Nitrate Sponge in my sump. Hair algae starting to reduce (adding a foxface is helping this as well). Manjano, Manjano!! I've gone through 3 bottles of Joe's Juice to kill the ones near the surface. Tank 3' depth, so I'll attach the syringe to a pole in order to hit the bottom ones. Replacing the cartridges on my Kents 3 stage RO filter as I'm not sure how long ago they were installed (and I'm getting a Calcium read from the RO tank). Also, ordered new 250 watt Metal Halides as these may be old as well.

Any other reco's? My tech brought a Gold 8-Band Butterfly on his LAST visit. I've since learned it's not reef safe; and he's proved it by killing some corals. Anybody want it? I'm in the Chicagoland suburbs.

Thanks again, and I'll send pics as soon as I see some marked improvement (I'm embarassed now, after seeing some of your tanks!)

Koots is offline   Reply With Quote