Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Chicagoland Marine Aquarium Society (CMAS)
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 01/12/2008, 09:01 AM   #26
Kmiec123
Actual CMAS Member

People have personal issues all the time...and in my life Family comes first. I don't need to hear all this negativity about a company than has worked well for me for years. If you have now fact on the company out of business other than a closed form in RC, please stop spreading rumors ands negativity, again.
Hope this helps.
Carl
BTW if you don't like a product, don't use it...This is the American Dream in action, you have a choice.

Thanks for what feedback you have Mike.

Current Tank Info: All-Glass 120 Gal #12348 W/ Dual overflow 48x24x24. Dual 400w MH with VHO atintic. Rod's sump design with old Euro reef skimmer Wife's tank 55 Gal w/cylone Bio-filter #cy194 w/ Sendra 3500 on Skimmer. Korella's for flow.
Kmiec123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/12/2008, 11:54 AM   #27
Pufferpunk
Moved On

Gosh Carl, I don't think anything negative nor rumors were posted in this thread at all. Just the facts. I have been following the Salifert website for a while now, to see what was going on with their product & then the forum was gone. I'm sure if a bunch of folks bought your clowns & they were all sick & you had as family emergency, you'd find someone to let those folks know you weren't available & you'd get back to them soon, rather than just ignoring all their emails & PMs.

Pufferpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/12/2008, 12:58 PM   #28
abark
Registered Member

I now use Elos only. I really like the fact that the kits are NIST certified when they get here. Having 3rd party lab verification inspires confidence in the accuracy of the test kits. I was having a STN issue back in August and after reading the issues with Salifert I got the Elos and found that my Salifert kit was low by about 3 dKh. Another good thing about the Elos is that you can get the individual reagents from Jesse when they run out rather than buy a whole new test kit.

abark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/12/2008, 02:54 PM   #29
mhurley
RC Staff

My perspective is much like Carl's, but also a bit different. This bothers me far more than any of you and is far beyond a customer service issue for me.

Habib is more than a sponsor or Moderator here, Habib is a friend that I and others Mods and Staff interacted with on a personal level and on a daily basis for years. To have that friend just disappear brings me more concern regarding him personally rather than his business.

Current Tank Info: 60G Cube
mhurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/12/2008, 03:12 PM   #30
DgenR8
I'm an American
and I remember

Well said, Mike.

Dunder Mifflin

Current Tank Info: Unknown slow drip, over 20 years damaged my house and heating system. No more tank.
DgenR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/12/2008, 04:08 PM   #31
Tremolo
Registered Member

i just got a salifert test for Alk. I tested twice and got 14 dkh. It also came with a reference solution that checked out perfect. is it safe to say that it is reading correctly?

Tremolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/12/2008, 07:07 PM   #32
mhurley
RC Staff

I'd say if the reference checked out, you're good.

Old 01/12/2008, 08:10 PM   #33
icenine2005
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jmick
Why don't you get new Salifert kits and compare the results of the new kits to the ones you have atm, since you trust the results?
I did for with my old kits for total alk... and it's nearly matching. Which is why I say the seachem kit is OK, I still have confidence in the old salifert kits. The calcium kit form seachem was doa... so no comparison there. I never tested for mag till the seachem kit was in my hands. Crossing my fingers to hope that it is as OK as total alk since they came in the same kit.

Send me new kits and I'll compare them as well....

I have chalked up most of the slaifert concerns to pilot error and unfortunate timing. (like pufferpunk's example, even before she fessed up to the screw up)

However there have been a few reefers I do know and trust more IRL that got screwy readings.. and that coupled with the interwebs spazing such as seen here on RC made me at least look else where. ...which did nothing but but bring me the type of problems I was looking to avoid anyway (thanks to mostly marine depot most likely).

I hope most people realize the salifert forum was probably shut down because of the horrid verbiage of posters there rather than Habib's non presence. ...and I hope all is well with him and others at salifert are doing a good job at keeping things up.

I'll probably give them at least one more shot. If it's still on target I'll post about it as much as possible for me.

icenine2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/14/2008, 08:30 AM   #34
sh0tyme83
Registered Member

I have yet to have a Salifert test kit and was looking to get several of them to replace my API test kits. Do you think it is safe to say that Salifert suppliers like premium have the "fixed" test kits in stock?

sh0tyme83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/14/2008, 08:44 AM   #35
Jeff
Registered Member

No doubt the bigger resellers have the "fixed" kits. I am sure that they pulled all of the bad ones that were left after selling hundreds of them.
I am not done being nervous with Salifert and have no reason to use their alk kits until I feel otherwise. I really feel that they did not handle the bad alk kits crisis correctly and at the same time were unable to ship enough mis-marked alk kits? What am I supposed to think? Poor communication with their larger resellers and customers during a potentially disasterous mistake makes me think that they are/were not interested in maintaining their steller image. Being dropped by Reef Central as a sponser does not help their image in my book. Mistakes happen, but saving face is key afterward.
I shudder to think how many dollars worth of livestock were lost because of the bad batchs of alk kits and hobbyists mis-treating their tanks.

IWNFT343F

Current Tank Info: Innovative Marine 20
Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/15/2008, 01:44 PM   #36
sh0tyme83
Registered Member

Has anyone heard anything about Salifert or about Habib? Mods have you? I have been watching Fosters and Smith to see if they are getting any kits in, because as I stated above, I want to replace my API kits and it said item on backorder til 1/15/08. I checked today and now it says 2/15/08. I hope everything is ok.

Old 01/15/2008, 04:29 PM   #37
mhurley
RC Staff

Sorry if I was unclear. I/we have not heard from Habib in quite some time.

Old 01/15/2008, 06:43 PM   #38
MikeD
Registered Member

Elos and Tropic marin can be found on marine depot now!

Current Tank Info: Previous: Elos System 160
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/15/2008, 07:02 PM   #39
sh0tyme83
Registered Member

oh it's been sometime! Sorry I thought it has been like a week.

Old 01/15/2008, 09:17 PM   #40
coffeenut
Registered Member

PA replaced my Alk test kit.. the new one i got works fine..

coffeenut is offline   Reply With Quote