Reef Central Online Community
Marine Depot

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 11/17/2005, 12:44 AM   #1
badami
Premium Member

Dictyota Algae Question

I have a huge Dictyota problem in my main tank and was wondering if there is experience with this stuff simply cycling through. I've had some other brown and green macros in the tank (11 months old now) that have gone away with time and was wondering if, with patience, high water quality, and physical removal, the Dictyota might do the same (wishfull thinking, but I thought I'd check before I start buying urchins, fish etc. that at best might help).

badami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/17/2005, 12:24 PM   #2
Anthony Calfo
Registered Member

it is a scourge... will not easily wane into submission... and is one of the principal pests that inspire people to finally keep and use a Quarantine tank faithfully QT is not just for disease... but screening pests and predators.

Few organisms will eat it. Dictyota also thrives in good water quality (hence the difficulty of starving it into submission).

Frankly... you most likely have a challenging series of weeks/months ahead of you with manual extraction

Diadema urchins may help.

Current Tank Info: 2K gallon fishroom, garden ponds
Anthony Calfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/27/2008, 08:30 PM   #3
CyboRob
Registered Member

Dolabella sea hare will keep it mowed down, but it will come back if you give away your sea hare thinking it was gone.

I hate this sh^t, came in on my live rock when I setup my first saltwater tank. Thought is was cool looking until I found out what is was about three months later.

Sure wish there was a silver bullet for this crap!

CyboRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/27/2008, 10:03 PM   #4
badami
Premium Member

Thanks. My dictyota problem ended up lasting about 16 mos. Just gradually went away. Fought it with with hand removal and regular water changes. Next battle was bryopsis which lasted about a year before it too cycled though.

badami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/27/2008, 11:50 PM   #5
Oldude
Premium Member

Naso Tang and foxface keep dictyota in check in my tank. My Naso loves the stuff.

~ April 2010 TOTM ~
Oldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/29/2008, 12:13 PM   #6
J. Montgomery
Mouth Pipetting

My emerald crabs keep it in check in my tank.