Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 11/14/2008, 11:24 AM   #1
Fsurocks99
Registered Member

Leaving Tank for first time

So I'm leavind my reef tank for the first time and I'm afraid that something go horribly wrong when I'm gone. I have a biocube 14 and it has been running for about three months. I'll be gone from tuesday to saturday. Suggestions needed for equipment needed. I'm especially worried about the power going out.

Fsurocks99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/14/2008, 11:35 AM   #2
leezer
Registered Member

Have to tag along on this one. I've got a 3 gallon I'll be leaving at Christmas from Tuesday until Saturday or Sunday.

I'm going to work on solving the evaporation problem and just cross my fingers on power outages.

leezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/14/2008, 11:42 AM   #3
Fsurocks99
Registered Member

yea evaporation would be a big worry.

Current Tank Info: 40 Breeder SPS tank
Old 11/14/2008, 12:17 PM   #4
ShootMe
Registered Member

For evaporation I suggest you get a glass lid for the 3 gallon or use the hood on the biocube. With the hood on my 12 gallon aquapod I only evaporate about 1-2 cups a week. I’ve left my aquapod at school over the Christmas break for 10 days before I drove back up to top it off, feed the fish, and do a water change before I drove back home and left it alone for another 7 days. Also the coral can probably go the five days without the light being on at all so you can chose to leave it off to reduce the evaporation or use a digital timer to only turn it on for one day while you are gone.

For a power outage there is really nothing you can do when you are not there unless you have a generator that will come on automatically if the power goes out. A ups will provide a limited amount of power but will also damage the pumps. If you get enough marine batteries you can make a DIY battery back up that will power the pumps if the power fails. You can also buy a batter powered air stone pump and plug it in and leave it in the tank when you leave, that way if you do lose power the pump will buy you another day or two.

Old 11/14/2008, 12:33 PM   #5
Tremont
Registered Member

I put a 1500VA UPS on a low wattage backup heater set to 75 degrees and a single circulation pump, if power goes out for more than 6 hours or so I'm still hosed though.

-Tre

Tremont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/14/2008, 01:22 PM   #6
TheOtherReefer
Pre-Internet Club

read through this thread. you can make one of these and it costs about 1/3 of what a generator costs...it will run your tank for days (necessities) if the power goes out.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...readid=1442509

cheers

Current Tank Info: Custom shallow (72"x24"x16") 100 gallon reef.
TheOtherReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/14/2008, 02:08 PM   #7
nate82
Registered Member

get an automatic feeder timers for lights and an auto top off and never worry about it again

Current Tank Info: 45g cube in the works. With 15g sump, 10g fuge, DIY LEDs. and more
nate82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/14/2008, 02:38 PM   #8
Fsurocks99
Registered Member

Thanks everyone for your comments and great info.

Old 11/14/2008, 03:04 PM   #9
ShootMe
Registered Member

Fish can go a long time without food so an automatic feeder is unnessceary and is just another piece of equiptment that can fail and crash a tank, I suggest against one.

Old 11/14/2008, 08:42 PM   #10
Agu
Registered Member

The pennplax B12 aerator only goes on when the power goes out and runs up to 24 hours with fresh batteries. That takes care of circulation in most situations.

Best option is to find someone to check your tank daily. I was gone for two weeks a few times and had a non reefer watch my tanks which at the time included a 180,37,and 40 breeder. Everything was great when I got home.

Might have something to do with the bottle of his favorite VSOP Cognac I left for him. His wife complained it took him two hours every night to check my tanks while she was home with two teenaged daughters .

Current Tank Info: 30 gallon half cube and 5.5, both reef tanks
Agu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/15/2008, 06:15 AM   #11
reefsahoy
I can see thru you!

Location: Milky Way Galaxy 3rd planet from the sun, in a country called USA!
I've left my 90 gal sps tank for 16 days many times without human intervention in the past but i've pretty much automated just about everything that i can think of. During the times i'm here i monitor the tank for weeks without doing anything to it except empty the skimmer cup and wipe the glass (i don't even check water parameters sometimes for 2 months). when i do leave i remove the mechanical filter and leave the skimmer alone for filtration. this is the eq. list that i used for automation.
1. i made an aut topoff using ro going to kalk reactor.
2. i have a ca reactor
3. i have a 3 channel dosing pump to dose trace elements and such.
4. bought an overkill protein skimmer (BK Mini 200 rated for 265 gals. this allows for any errors in overfeeding!)
5. auto fish feeder

usually when i come back all i have to do is clean the glass (usually not that dirty considering 16 days) and empty the skimmer.

here's acouple of pics of my tank when it was 6 mo ago.

the colors are actually much better now. i know it's not a nano but i will be building one and trying to get it automated as well.

Last edited by reefsahoy; 11/15/2008 at 06:22 AM.
reefsahoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/15/2008, 06:28 AM   #12
adolfo425
Registered Member

The tank should be fine the best thing to do is have someone check on it for you. If you have any reef buddy or are part of a local reef club have one of them visit your tank to make sure its okay.

I was gone 5 days with my tank and it was fine. I designated 2 zip-loc baggies with all the mixed food for my tank labeled them by date and threw them in the freezer so when my room mate need to feed my tank he just grabbed the bag and emptied it into the tank.

Adolfo

Current Tank Info: 34 Gallon solana Mixed Reef
adolfo425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/15/2008, 06:57 AM   #13
Fsurocks99
Registered Member

Reefsahoy- That's a beautiful tank. You gave the sps a lot of growing, something I will do better at next time. lol

Old 11/16/2008, 09:22 AM   #14
Fsurocks99
Registered Member

Thanks everyone for the info, but the plans fell through, so I don't have to worry anymore.