Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


User Tag List

Thread Tools
Old 12/17/2007, 10:09 PM   #1
Registered Member
Gordonious's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Newark DE
Posts: 3,393
Question PVC to Air Line

I wanted to find a way to convert from PVC to air line so I can set up a drip acclimator at an LFS I just started working at last month. I suppose what I am looking for is some sort of T like the one pictured on this page, but I know I won't be able to use brass fittings as it will have salt water running through it.
They call the parts "PVC Reducing Tees (½" Slip x ½" Slip x 1/8" FPT)" and "Brass male adapters 1/8 MPT x 3/16 barb".

So my two questions to start are:
-What specificly do I need/what is it called? and
-Where can I get them? (local or online)

Thanks in advance,

Gordonious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/17/2007, 10:51 PM   #2
Registered Member
a1amap's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Newark, DE
Posts: 1,105
All you had do ask me. What size do you want on the PVC side to what size air tube? Lowes and the depot carry it. They also carry it in a 90 degree bend as well.

I have the 90 degree bends at the house give me a yell and I will probably have it


Current Tank Info: 75 gallon in wall working on a 220 gallon in wall tank
a1amap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/17/2007, 10:55 PM   #3
10 & Over Club
billsreef's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Long Island, NY/North Miami
Posts: 36,538
You should be able to find what you need in plastic here.


"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)

Current Tank Info: Far too many tanks according to my wife, LOL.
billsreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/25/2007, 04:33 AM   #4
Registered Member
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: SOBX
Posts: 2,091
or you can simply use a drill and tap and make your own. Use vinyl barb fittings instead of brass as you already know. I have used the drill and tap method many times, it works well

There is something we can all do about it

Current Tank Info: starting fresh with new ideas
redox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/25/2007, 07:39 PM   #5
20 and over club
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Long Beach, CA.
Posts: 2,720
If you don't have a tap you can even drill an oversized hole in a pvc cap fitting, insert the airline barb, fill a portion of the back of cap in with 2 part epoxy to seal in the barb and glue cap onto pvc pipe

She ain't broke, but can we fix her more better?

Current Tank Info: A big box of water with some stuff in it.
Putawaywet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/26/2007, 09:58 PM   #6
Registered Member
Gordonious's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Newark DE
Posts: 3,393
I wanted to do it with the proper fittings as it will be attached to a high pressure line over some carpet I don't own.(apartment) I know lots of ways I could have ghetto rigged it, but wanted to see what people could come up with fitting wise.

Gordonious is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:31 PM.

TapaTalk Enabled

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2021 Axivo Inc.
Use of this web site is subject to the terms and conditions described in the user agreement.
Reef CentralTM Reef Central, LLC. Copyright 1999-2014
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.