Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 03/10/2008, 04:34 PM   #1
BreefMe
Registered Member

Just sharing a Tang feeding secret - ich helper

I posted something similar to this a few months ago and said that I would post my final results:

Initially I thought I discovered a homeopathic cure for ich - well sort of. After a couple of my hippo tangs developed ich I began trying to experiment with ways of battling it. Hippos are notorious ich magnets. My main strategy was to do something to boost the Tang's immune system since treating chemically was not an option.

I began feeding my Tang's collard greens from the food store. I tried this because I read that feeding them lettuce was acceptable, but I knew lettuce had very little nutritional value. Collards on the other hand, are loaded with all kinds of vitamins. I have a chart that hopefully will show below.

At any rate, I have been giving my Tangs which include, 2 Hippos, 2 Yellows and a Purple collard greens for about 4 months. You have never seen such vibrant health in a fish.

The ich did cycle a few times. Members were quick to point out that the first observed disappearances of the disease were likely due to the ich cycling rather than the collards curing the tang's. They were right.

Over time however, I am convinced that collards will eventually cure tang's of ich by building up their immune system to a high level. After several cycles, each cycle became less and less. Now, it has been at least 6 weeks since I have observed any ich in my tank. No tang has even one spec. Their health and body mass is excellent; they also are experiencing a fairly rapid growth rate. I do supplement the use of collards with marine pellets and freeze dried mysis shrimp just to keep diet varied.

I highly recommend trying this. As long as you are dealing with a herbivore, they likely will take to the collards. My tangs just love the stuff. They can consume almost 1 modest sized leaf per day. I don't do anything special with it. Just out of the fridge and rubber band it to a small rock and drop it in the tank. I try to put the leaf in the same spot every day because the fish get use to it.

Ich has been known to plague Hippos, especially. I am thoroughly convinced that with prolonged use anyone can conquer ich by use of collards. Even if your fish are fine, I would use it anyway; they love the stuff.

I know there will be many disbelievers out there. All I can say is try it. As long as your water parameters are good and there is nothing else to adversely affect the fish, I am confident the ich will eventually disappear, but it may take several months of prolonged use. Even if you have healthy fish and want to see them get even healthier try the collards; you will not be disappointed.

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?t...spice&dbid=138

Last edited by BreefMe; 03/10/2008 at 04:46 PM.
BreefMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/10/2008, 05:08 PM   #2
Jeff
Registered Member

Or, you could cure your tank completely of ich.
I never let my tank run fallow and do a hypo treatment on my fish which would completely rid my tank of ich but I do other things to keep ich away. Thanks for the idea, i will try adding it to my tangs (3) diet .

IWNFT343F

Current Tank Info: Innovative Marine 20
Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/10/2008, 05:21 PM   #3
lobstergrabber
Registered Member

That is an approach I had never heard of. Might try it out. I have never had ich but notice that I don't get very good growth rates with the standard algaes. I also feed the pellet flake with the sheets but would like something to fatten them up.

Rich

lobstergrabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/10/2008, 05:27 PM   #4
BreefMe
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lobstergrabber
That is an approach I had never heard of. Might try it out. I have never had ich but notice that I don't get very good growth rates with the standard algaes. I also feed the pellet flake with the sheets but would like something to fatten them up.

Rich
Click on the url in my original post to see the nutrient content of the collards. Strikingly, there are many trace elements that would be an oceanic reef environment found in the collards as well as loads of vitamins.

Your fish will fatten up quick on this stuff. And, best of all; it's cheap. A good sized head of collard runs about $1.50 and may last a couple of weeks depending on population.

Old 03/10/2008, 05:27 PM   #5
MYDRAAL
Registered Member

FWB

MYDRAAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/10/2008, 05:28 PM   #6
MYDRAAL
Registered Member

To bad it couldn't be frozen as I have only one tang to feed.

Old 03/10/2008, 05:31 PM   #7
BreefMe
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MYDRAAL
To bad it couldn't be frozen as I have only one tang to feed.
It keeps for quite some time in the crisper in your fridge - upwards of 3 weeks. That's all you need.

Old 03/10/2008, 05:38 PM   #8
MYDRAAL
Registered Member

You only fed the collards for three weeks? How long did it take from first feeding to 6 weeks going by with no ich? Total timeframe?

Old 03/10/2008, 05:43 PM   #9
BreefMe
Registered Member

Quote:
You only fed the collards for three weeks? How long did it take from first feeding to 6 weeks going by with no ich? Total timeframe?
I don't recall writing the 3 weeks, but if I did, I am sorry. My fish have been eating the collards everyday for 4 months. It took about 2 and a half months of progressively less ich cycles for the ich to totally disappear. My fish are still eating it and I will not take them off of it. They have been fully ich free for at least 6 weeks and I am told that is the max length of an ich cycle. As far as I am concerned they are cured.

I also must say that when treatment first started at least one Hippo had ich pretty bad on the exterior, but I doubt any had propagated to the gills yet.

Old 03/10/2008, 05:54 PM   #10
Dyepes
Moved On

So you are talking about the fresh collards found in like the produce deparment, not canned collards right?

And you say the best to use is purple? I have three tangs so I think they will be able to consume hastefully enough before the heads go bad. Ill definetly pick some up tonight. Good thing I wor at Wal-Mart I guess.

Dyepes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/10/2008, 05:58 PM   #11
BreefMe
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dyepes
So you are talking about the fresh collards found in like the produce deparment, not canned collards right?

And you say the best to use is purple? I have three tangs so I think they will be able to consume hastefully enough before the heads go bad. Ill definetly pick some up tonight. Good thing I wor at Wal-Mart I guess.
Regular produce green collards - no cans

Purple? - I have a purple tang who is thriving on the stuff - it has grown almost 1 inch in 4 months.

Old 03/10/2008, 07:14 PM   #12
BreefMe
Registered Member

Quote:
FWB
What does FWB mean?

Old 03/10/2008, 08:06 PM   #13
sean48183
Registered Member

I will have to try this. I have been feeding seaweed selects for years and my fish love it but always like trying something different just to give them some variety. I tried romaine a couple years back for like a week and my tang(only had a sailfin at the time) wouldn't touch the stuff. He would cruise right up to it stop and swim away with out taking a bite. So I gave up on produce all together but I think I will give this stuff a try. Thanks for the info.

sean48183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/10/2008, 08:17 PM   #14
boaconrp
Registered Member

Thanks for the info! I always have some collard greens in the house to feed my tortoises, so no reason not to give it a try!

boaconrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/10/2008, 08:22 PM   #15
BreefMe
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sean48183
I will have to try this. I have been feeding seaweed selects for years and my fish love it but always like trying something different just to give them some variety. I tried romaine a couple years back for like a week and my tang(only had a sailfin at the time) wouldn't touch the stuff. He would cruise right up to it stop and swim away with out taking a bite. So I gave up on produce all together but I think I will give this stuff a try. Thanks for the info.
They may not touch it the first day, and the leaf will keep very nicely under the water for several days. Eventually their curiosity will get the better of them. All that has to happen is for one to start nibbling and the rest will follow.

What I am amazed at is my tangs feed continuously all day long on it. It is not uncommon for a fish to feed 4 times in an hour. Just 4 or so nips at a time.

Old 03/10/2008, 09:14 PM   #16
JNye
Moved On Up

very nice, i will try this for the nutritional benefits, i am skeptical as to the ich curing ability though. many poeple seem to live with ich and are able to win the battle through good nutrition and a stable enviroment.

Current Tank Info: it don't matter just don't bite it
JNye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/10/2008, 09:14 PM   #17
MYDRAAL
Registered Member

FWB= Fort Walton Beach. Sorry,it had nothing to do with the post. It's just not often I see someone from the same city on here. I think I'll try the collards and see how it goes. Thanks

Old 03/10/2008, 09:17 PM   #18
MYDRAAL
Registered Member

I didn't know there was purple collards (kale maybe)?

Old 03/10/2008, 10:16 PM   #19
Salamander
Registered Member

You know Kale also has a fairly high nutritional content compared to most greens. I've used it in the past (mixed with many other veggies etc to feed large iguanas and box turtles.

I wonder how thin slivers of carrots would do for tangs?

I do remember once in college when my sister had to care for my 7' iguana and she fed it way too much carrot and yellow squash. Turned a green iguana pretty much yellow and orange. Vet said it was ok but that the vitamin imbalance could cause too much vitamin D? synthesis if it got too much sunlight. Might make a nice yellow tang even yellower in the right amount.

Current Tank Info: 120g mixed reef, 2 x 250W DE MH, 2 x 54w T5, MSX 200 SKimmer, 2 Koralia 4's, 40g fuge/sump, QT
Salamander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/11/2008, 02:22 PM   #20
OranguTang
NULL

Interested, a well documented trial would be more concrete...

Old 03/11/2008, 03:13 PM   #21
techigirl78
Registered Member

I'll give it a try as well. I'd like to see some more growth on my yellow tang.

techigirl78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/11/2008, 04:02 PM   #22
ReefEnabler
Premium Member

"I have been giving my Tangs which include, 2 Hippos, 2 Yellows and a Purple collard greens for about 4 months."

guys, he is just saying that he fed a PURPLE TANG some collard greens. I can see how that sentance can easily be misread to be purple collards, but don't be confused

great post! sometimes its surprising the foods that end up working well.

"that is enough skimmate to ruin lives." - GSMguy

Current Tank Info: 220g Display, 70g sump, 35g frag, 50g fuge, 2x250w MH, 1x400w MH, 2x80w T5, 2x140w VHO Actinic
ReefEnabler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/11/2008, 04:02 PM   #23
ReefEnabler
Premium Member

*urg, double post*

"that is enough skimmate to ruin lives." - GSMguy

Current Tank Info: 220g Display, 70g sump, 35g frag, 50g fuge, 2x250w MH, 1x400w MH, 2x80w T5, 2x140w VHO Actinic
ReefEnabler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/11/2008, 04:42 PM   #24
Hal
Registered Member

I suppose we shouldn't be too surprised, given that many/some fish will eat lettuce, broccoli, peas, bananas, etc.

I will however, take issue with you describing collard greens as a homeopathic cure for ich. It's fairly well known that an otherwise healthy fish can survive ich. It's also known that visible ich will come and go depending on the particular portion of the life cycle of ich. I think it's also known that many fishes will appear to build up an immunity to ich, with successive occurences being less severe. From your description, my guess is that is what happened.

Again, I think you might be mislabeling collard greens when you call them a homeopathic CURE for ich.

I'm glad that your fish are doing well. I'd venture to guess that the collard greens did provide some helpful nutrients.

Current Tank Info: 250g starphire: 72x28x30, BeanAnimal drain with an oversized non-durso emergency drain, 4 inch DSB, 3x Reefbreeders Value LED fixtures, SWC/MSX 300A skimmer, Geo kalk reactor, 3 Vortechs w/bb, carbon reactor, and a RKL
Hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/15/2008, 06:27 AM   #25
Paul B
Premium Member

Actually Ich will disappear on healthy well fed fish many times.
Stress will bring it back on but you can keep your fish ich free forever (usually but not always) as long as you can keep them healthy in all other ways. I personally never worry about ich.

Current Tank Info: 100 gal reef set up in 1971
Paul B is offline   Reply With Quote