Reef Central Online Community
Neptune Systems

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 07/02/2009, 03:08 PM   #1
terrapin_s
Registered Member

new to the reef community

My name is Keenan, and I am new to the saltwater hobby. My meager beginnings started with an 85 gal fish only saltwater tank. I had help from a friend who helped me build a wet dry filter and stand. That was MANY years ago and I am now sitting on a 55 gal empty tank with no stand or any supplies, wondering what in the world I need to get started in building a reef tank. I am going to have to build most all of my supplies where I can due to budgetary restraints. Any help with suggested economic system set ups would be greatly appreciated.

terrapin_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/02/2009, 08:13 PM   #2
Fish_wiz2
Mangroves are kool.

1st off:

To Reef Central

And to answer your budgetary needs, just check out the DIY section for some impressive stuff without breaking the bank. You can build almost anything if you set your heart to it and plan it carefully (especially the carefully part ). Hope that helps, Wiz

Current Tank Info: Elos Mini Seahorse Tank, 2500 gallon Koi pond
Fish_wiz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/03/2009, 07:27 AM   #3
Whys
Moved On

I recommend an ecosphere.

Seriously, this hobby busts budgets for breakfast, eats you out of house and home by lunch, then invites creditors over for dinner. Plan your setup well, tally expected cost, then double that number. That will give you some idea of what you're really looking at.

Welcome to the hobby, and good luck!

Whys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/03/2009, 09:13 AM   #4
wab
Registered Member

Hi, Fellow budget constraints guy and welcome. My whole set up is diy except my light and that was a gift. My original set up costs were the power heads, plumbing supplys, chemicals, test kit,6500k compact flouresents5(lowes) sand, and 2 pieces of live rock. Since then april 08 I have added a protien skimmer and a sump/refugium all diy and very cheap. + 1 you can really spend alot if your not carful. Good Luck and be patient

Current Tank Info: 45 high 30 breeder sump/refuge diy
wab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/03/2009, 10:17 AM   #5
RockinSmall
Keepin it Spicey

Are you sure you wanna do this? In 6 months you will wonder what happened to all your money, spare time, and sometimes your wife...

Just kidding! kinda.. Definately seek out a local club, b/c u can find a lot of equipment and livestock for a bargain. If you have to, ask a couple of your lfs (local fish stores) if they know of a club, b/c 99% of the time there is one.

Live stock for the most part should come secondary to equipment. Dont find yourself being too cheap b/c ur gunna end up upgrading 2-5 times before u finally just buy the nice one anyways, and by then you've spent twice what the nice one you wanted would have cost. That goes for lights, skimmers, pumps, powerheads, filters, test kits... u name it....

Good stuff to get u on your way!

Also.. look into a part time job =)

Current Tank Info: 150 Gallon Reef- sps and favia dominant
RockinSmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/03/2009, 10:29 AM   #6
RockinSmall
Keepin it Spicey

oh yea, and since ur a counselor... ur gunna be wanting to get a 12g nano cube for your office.... =)

Current Tank Info: 150 Gallon Reef- sps and favia dominant
RockinSmall is offline   Reply With Quote