Reef Central Online Community
Neptune Systems

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 01/25/2008, 09:37 AM   #1
casingbill
Registered Member

Mixing sand?

Just wonder if anyone else has mixed their sand in their display tanks. I have some fine aragamax reef sand and some crushed coral. I was going to mix them something to the effect of 2/3 sand and 1/3 CC. But then I thought it might be cool to have a small area of just CC. Just want to see if anyone else may have done this, or some thoughts on doing this. Thanks.

Bill

Current Tank Info: AGA 90g reef in works,
casingbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/25/2008, 10:10 AM   #2
casingbill
Registered Member

fwiw...its seachem meridian sand and caribsea geo-marine

Old 01/25/2008, 04:05 PM   #3
casingbill
Registered Member

wow...no takers on this?

Old 01/25/2008, 06:08 PM   #4
lancer99
Registered Member

Areas with just CC will act as detritus traps and probably need to be vacuumed. If they're mixed I wouldn't think it would be a problem.

I had to cover the Aragamax with CC in a few areas in my 75G to prevent the sand from blowing around. No problems so far, but it has only been about a month.

HTH,
-R

lancer99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/25/2008, 06:17 PM   #5
dragonette
Yes, its LIVE rock.

Quote:
Originally posted by lancer99
Areas with just CC will act as detritus traps and probably need to be vacuumed. If they're mixed I wouldn't think it would be a problem.

I had to cover the Aragamax with CC in a few areas in my 75G to prevent the sand from blowing around. No problems so far, but it has only been about a month.

HTH,
-R
+1 on the CC/detritus problem

are you just wanting to mix the two because you like the way it looks? most people stray from the CC. After a while the larger CC pieces will get separated from the sand just naturally, youll end up with the CC on top mostly

dragonette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/25/2008, 06:46 PM   #6
casingbill
Registered Member

yeah, i like the look of it...the seachem sand, is all small stuff..almost sugar size.

just curious...thx for the input