Reef Central Online Community
Marine Depot

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 12/28/2007, 06:45 PM   #1
AlexB650
Registered Member

Need Help with hair algae bloom

Tank has been running since march and all params seem good, yet there's hair algae. I can't figure out for the life of me what i'm doing wrong.

Params are:
CA 470
Alk 8.5
Trates 0
ph 8.1
mg (don't know cuz i'm waiting on a new saliferts)

I do 10% weekly water changes and a monthly 20% change--rocks are blown off before each water change. The tank has 32x flow and only one small dead spot where it doesn't get much flow. i left that alone because i'm pretty happy with the overall flow distribution. I have chaeto growing in the fuge, an aquac skimmer, and about 8x turn over in the sump which is split to the fuge and skimmer.

here's what I'm guessing. I reaquascaped my tank and threw some LR in the fuge (about 40 lbs). I'm thinking that it's becoming a detritus trap and that the chaeto is only feeding off what it's getting off the LR. Although, i do have a 300 gph power head in there to stir things up. Also, the fuge is BB and I went this route because I didn't want detritus build up. As for the tank, i have a 1.5" sand bed cuz I don't like how BB or DSB's look. I also have another 75 or 80 lbs of LR in the display tank.

I have two small fish (1" each), 40-50 blue legs, 12 mixed snails and some corals. I feed 5 days a week and only once each time. all food is rinsed in ro water.

bulbs are 6 mos. old.

what am I possibly doing wrong that I'm getting hair algae? any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Alex

AlexB650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/28/2007, 10:37 PM   #2
bertoni
RC Mod

Moved to New to the Hobby for more views.

I suspect there's more food going into the tank than the system can process out of it. Growing and harvesting a macroalga can help, as can a phosphate reactor.

Old 12/29/2007, 12:07 AM   #3
nukemdanno
Registered Member

Hair Algae is sure sign of phosphate. You might want to check how much and of what you are feeding. Frozen foods are generally high in phosphates. If the fish aren't consuming the food fast enough you are adding to the waste

nukemdanno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/29/2007, 12:15 AM   #4
demonsp
Moved On

Yes water source and you said the main part , Low Flow.
Whats used for flow?
Whats the water source?

demonsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/29/2007, 06:22 AM   #5
tazzmanian123
Premium Member

Have same issue as you, also have had my tank up since march. Just added a phosphate reactor yesterday, so will let you know.

Have no fish, only snails & crabs, all parameters are perfect according to multiple test kits. Have Chaeto in fuge, which is doing fine.

My final guess is that phosphate is leaching from some of the LR. I do not feed the tank, & I use ro/di with 0 readings. I have excellent flow, & use tropic marin salt.

Everything checks out, so I have resorted to adding a phosphate reactor. Have not added any corals or fish yet to my tank because of this algae issue, & its killing me. LOL.

Some Pix:

tazzmanian123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/29/2007, 01:51 PM   #6
mksalt
Registered Member

I just added some blue legged crabs today to try to deal with my algae. I suspect I will have to add some type of fish to help the situation.

mksalt is offline   Reply With Quote