Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 12/21/2007, 09:55 PM   #1
JPReef
Registered Member

Mystery Coral....what is it?

What is this coral? Picked it up from a local shop and i forgot what they named it. They never told me what its needs were and it was pretty cheap like 15 bucks. What kinda lighting does it need. Wheres the best place to put it? high med low? and should i dose phytomax for it if its a filter feeder?

It was really bright pink when i first got it now the color has faded slightly. Parameters are fine. Main thing im wondering it just Lighting, Water Flow, and what it actually is. Thanks!

JPReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/21/2007, 09:56 PM   #2
demonsp
Moved On

Is it hard or soft?

demonsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/21/2007, 10:01 PM   #3
JPReef
Registered Member

hard

Old 12/21/2007, 10:10 PM   #4
demonsp
Moved On

Looks like some kind of SPS. Look here it may help.

http://www.asira.org/caresheets

demonsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/21/2007, 11:11 PM   #5
Sk8r
RC Mod

Sure looks like a greatly retracted carnation coral [softy]. But if hard, it could be anything from a pocillopora to something I just haven't met.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, chromis, royal gramma basslet, tailspot blenny, ocellaris clown, yellow watchman, chestnut turbo snails, bristleworms, couple of hermits.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/21/2007, 11:12 PM   #6
kiknchikn
Registered Member

Carnation was my first guess too until I read "hard".

Current Tank Info: 30g nano reef
kiknchikn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/21/2007, 11:13 PM   #7
mr pink floyd
Moved On

i thought carnation too, but maybe by hard he means hard as in if it was closed compared to open?... more like firm maybe?

mr pink floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/21/2007, 11:58 PM   #8
PSam
Registered Member

That's not stony. Looks like carnation...

Old 12/22/2007, 04:32 AM   #9
kizkiz
Registered Member

That's a dendro i would say

http://www.marinedepotlive.com/carna...ft-corals.html

kizkiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/22/2007, 04:38 AM   #10
adtravels
you cant buy blue fingers

look at the base, definately a dendro, hard to keep non photosynthetic soft coral, no skeleton, full of spicules.

if it expands, it will be many times bigger, that why it feel hard now

False facts are highly injurious to the progress of science, for they often endure long; but false views supported by some evidence, do little harm, for every one takes a salutary pleasure in proving their falseness.

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon 36x24x24 reef
adtravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/22/2007, 05:07 AM   #11
Frick-n-Frags
Registered Member

dendro/sclero no question.

ps: PM eriksmacks, or whatever erik's screen name is at or via CSEA as he may be someone that can help you keep that thing alive.

Current Tank Info: 2 50 gal tanks, sump, still BB
Frick-n-Frags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/22/2007, 05:39 AM   #12
OnoIgotICH
Moved On

no..

its a closed up red silk coral Give it back to whoever gave it to you. Its tough to keep
http://www.marinecenter.com/corals/c.../redsilkcoral/

OnoIgotICH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/22/2007, 07:31 AM   #13
fambrough
Registered Member

"red silk coral" *is* a sclero. Better to use genus or family names. English common names are not particularly helpful as they are unscientifically applied across differing taxa.

Looks like dendro/sclero to me, too. Non-photosynthetic. You need to learn how to feed this coral. Or maybe find someone in your area who keeps denro/scleros or other non-photosynthetic corals.

Best of luck.

Current Tank Info: 40 breeder clown/anemone tank; RR 75 mixed corals and fish: radions over both, vortechs; one 37 cube fresh water with ryukin goldfish
fambrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/23/2007, 12:19 AM   #14
JPReef
Registered Member

it just came from a LFS, it was cheap and didnt look much worse than it is in the picture when it was in the fish store. So first off im not giving back to whom i got it from that would be a waste of money. Secondly, ive been doing research to see how to feed it. and third, if it dies that will be another lesson learned.

But no, its not hard, i did a little bit more examining than before, it is VERY soft to the touch. Im going to call a local guy here in a few days hes out of town for the holidays. he works at the store where i got it from and told me it would be fine under PC lighting and with dosing phytomax. Ill find out more and let you all know what it actually is and what the deal is with it.

Thanks for the help guys/gals.

Old 12/23/2007, 12:29 AM   #15
melev
Moved On

Lighting won't do anything for that coral, as far as I know. Carnation corals need nutrient rich water to be happy, and phytoplankton isn't going to be enough in this case. Perhaps DT's Golden Pearls, some cyclop-eeze, Roti-Rich, etc... plankton-size food.

I recently came across a very pretty one at a LFS near me, and seriously thought about bringing it home as I have a suncoral tank that gets food daily, but resisted the urge.

That coral would do better hanging upside down, as it tends to grow off the side of reef walls and inverted along caves and alcoves.

melev is offline   Reply With Quote