Reef Central Online Community
Neptune Systems

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 10/26/2007, 09:21 AM   #1
richard snyder
Registered Member

prize fish stops eating

I have a 16" emperor angel that I have for about 9 months, in my 800 gal FO tank. The biggest worry when I got him was whether or not he would eat since he came from the wild this size. After 2 days he did eat however and has been a voracious eater ever since. He is kept with other large fish ; 30" bamboo shark,adult queen angel , 30" snowflake eel, black volitan lion,desjardini tang,yellow tang,scopas tang,sohal tang,flagfin angel,male bird wrasse,assorted clowns,pakastani butterfly,naso tang. The problem is he stopped eating about three days ago. He seems very interested in food when I feed but turns away. I'm feeding what I always feed; squid,krill, silversides,prawn,mysis,marine cusine. He always ate like a pig. I put some red and green seaweed in hoping that might be what he was looking for, not interested. Any suggestions. I am not going to feed for 2 days and see if his apetite increases. I also soaked some food in garlic extreme and that did not work. Let me know if you have had any experience with this

Current Tank Info: 350 gal. reef
richard snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/26/2007, 10:27 AM   #2
danorth
Moved On

Is it stressed by another fish? That can cause the feeding strike.

danorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/26/2007, 11:20 AM   #3
DamnPepShrimp
Moved On

Try an open fresh clam? Or really last resort to keep the guy alive, since he came from the wild, at that size all they eat is sponge. So maybe by a cheap sponge from a LFS and see if he eats it. You'll want to wean him off of it like you were doing with the frozen foods, but at least he'll eat. It's hard to get a healthy emperor that size, your better off with a juvi and watching him grow up under captivity care.

DamnPepShrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/26/2007, 01:36 PM   #4
jmccown
Registered Member

Oh my god please get me a picture of that fish before it dies (hopefully it doesn't). I gotta see it. I bet it's beautiful.

Former member of the "Huge tank club"

Current Tank Info: 300 Deep Dimension FOWLR
jmccown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/26/2007, 01:58 PM   #5
AquaKnight
Registered Member

x2

Get a large(biggest available) tree sponge from the LFS. They eat sponges in the wild, should get him on that.

AquaKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/26/2007, 02:28 PM   #6
HPD Turbo
Registered Member

Cant wait for pics!!!!
Come on!!!!

Reefteria!!!!

If man evolved from monkeys and apes, why do we still have monkeys and apes?

Current Tank Info: 100gal, total system. Mixed reef. All DIY ex the tank.
HPD Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/27/2007, 03:38 PM   #7
Marc
Registered Member

800 gallons, WOW, I want to see pics of that tank. I don't mean to get off topic though but what is your equipment? I also have a large showsize imperator angel and she loves Ocean Nutrition Angel formula and Ocean Nutrition VHP, (Very high protein). Also try to feed your angel some Nori. Mine will usually eat a whole sheet right up. Also try garlic juice for your frozen foods. Mix a couple drops of the garlic juice or garlic oil in a cup of frozen fish food. Your fish will eat again. And just in case your fish may be suffering from an intestinal parasite, the garlic oil will help.

Marc

Marc is offline   Reply With Quote