Reef Central Online Community
Marine Depot

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 11/22/2007, 08:22 AM   #1
champscorner
Premium Member

got the xmas bonus today!!! questions

ok guys/gals received my xmas bonus and get to spend a 1/3 of it on my system. So i'm interested in seeing what combination of item you guys would pick from my list below. I have ~ $1000. to spend.

This is what i have now:
90gal aga w/30gal sump w/in sump fuge
current outer orbit running 2x250w phoenix w/ 4x54w t5
aqua c ev 180 skimmer
2x tlf phosban reactors(phosban, carbon)
2x K4 for flow(additinal ~300gph coming from return pump)
filterguys rodi unit
150lbs lr
2x maroon clowns
cleanup crew
branching frogspawn
knobby sea rod

This is about it. My tank is ~9mons old and is short on live stock as i wanted to take it slow but am ready for more. Also i dose esv 2part and occasionally esv mag as well.

These are some things i've been looking intowith my $1000.)
1) ATO(not sure what brand yet)
2) either calcium reactor or LM3
3) replacing K4's with 2x wirless vortechs
4) buy more bulbs and play with my current bulb config to achieve perfect color(not quite where i want it yet)
5) carpet nem and some other livestock
6) more cleanup crew(kind of lite right now)
7) could also go with a controller but don't know much about them presently
8) reconfigure my electrical to get it out of the stand. possibly use ADJ power strips to make it pretty

Very long, i know, but i'm passing up a chance to buy a nice flat screen tv to spend some of the money on the reef so i want to make sure i get as much out of it as i can. Any additional ideas are welcome as well. Thanks for reading and your opinions. Have a great Thanksgiving all!!!

Current Tank Info: 90gal w/30gal sump, in sump fuge, aqua C EV 180 skimmer ran on a mag 9, 2x 250w pheonix mh and 4x 54w t5, ehiem 1262 for return, 2xphosban reactors(carbon,phosban), 2 x K4 for more circ
champscorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/22/2007, 08:28 AM   #2
InLimbo87
Registered Member

Your setup sounds pretty sound, I say go for the ATO (I love my JBJ) and blow the rest on some colorful livestock!

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon
InLimbo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/22/2007, 08:29 AM   #3
onano
Registered Member

I'd go with a JBJ topoff and an Aquacontroller. These two will basically make your tank very daily maintenance free with the exception of adding your 2 part. Of course you could add a doser as well to handle that for you but I would rather take the extra $500 left and invest in livestock.

onano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/22/2007, 08:32 AM   #4
Tangweed
Registered Member

However you spend it should be fun. Just make sure you save some for a large pizza when you get all your goods in. You'll need some food while reading all the instructions. Have fun!!!!

Current Tank Info: 90 gal with 40 gal breeder sump / fuge, Octo skimmer, lights and some water.
Tangweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/22/2007, 08:41 AM   #5
lesages
Registered Member

If your interested in a controller this site has all the info you need: http://www.aquariumcontrollers.com/

Check out the spreadsheet, it makes comparing them super easy

lesages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/22/2007, 01:55 PM   #6
champscorner
Premium Member

bump

Current Tank Info: 90gal w/30gal sump, in sump fuge, aqua C EV 180 skimmer ran on a mag 9, 2x 250w pheonix mh and 4x 54w t5, ehiem 1262 for return, 2xphosban reactors(carbon,phosban), 2 x K4 for more circ
champscorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/22/2007, 02:04 PM   #7
usmc121581
Where am I?

Quote:
Originally posted by New to the reef
However you spend it should be fun. Just make sure you save some for a large pizza when you get all your goods in. You'll need some food while reading all the instructions. Have fun!!!!
Also some beer to enjoy after wards. But for real its your tank. We really dont know what your tank needs are personnel. What ever you decide is good. Now if I had to choose I would say redo lights and get better, and then get soem colorful livestock.

Current Tank Info: I have a 180 gal mostly LPS corals, it contains 1 Val. Tang, 1 yellow striped clown fish, 3 percula clownfish, a blood shrimp, cleaner shrimp and a sand shifting goby, 5 pajama cardinals, 1 green chromis. Also a 75 gal. sump/fug.
usmc121581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/22/2007, 04:40 PM   #8
CruzinKim
Moved On

Neptune AC Jr
Tunze Osmolator ATO
SpectraPure LM3
Booster Cleanup Crew

Why redo anything that is already working fine for you. Expand your horizons on your setup and improve it. I just invested in a AC Jr and Osmolator and they're great, very easy to install and the default programming almost works perfectly for me and was really easy to readjust. I'm looking at the LM3 myself now to dose 2 part solution.

CruzinKim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/22/2007, 06:48 PM   #9
lilchris
Premium Member

I am trying to get an Aqua Controller Jr. I think that will be a wise choice for you. Also some Live Stock

lilchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/22/2007, 07:27 PM   #10
DrBegalke
Go Buckeyes!

1) ATO(not sure what brand yet)
-I like my JBJ.

2) either calcium reactor or LM3
-you don't have many corals yet, probably not needed right now.

3) replacing K4's with 2x wirless vortechs
-those are very nice, you could probably swap out both koralias for a single vortech.

4) buy more bulbs and play with my current bulb config to achieve perfect color(not quite where i want it yet)
-you might never find the perfect color

5) carpet nem and some other livestock
-not a bad idea!

6) more cleanup crew(kind of lite right now)
-depends if you need them.

7) could also go with a controller but don't know much about them presently
-AC Jr or Reefkeeper II.

8) reconfigure my electrical to get it out of the stand. possibly use ADJ power strips to make it pretty
-probably can hold off on this, do make sure everything is on GFI circuits though.

If I were you I'd get ac jr, vortech, jbj, and spend whatever is left over on coral frags. Any of your choices above are great though, just depends on your preferences.

Current Tank Info: Latest project: JBJ Cubey
DrBegalke is offline   Reply With Quote