Reef Central Online Community
Live Aquaria

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 11/25/2007, 06:34 PM   #126
lendz
Registered Member

Great thread! I've learned alot from this.
However,I pity those fish that died.
But look at the bright side,new lessons eh?

lendz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/25/2007, 06:34 PM   #127
lendz
Registered Member

Great thread! I've learned alot from this.
However,I pity those fish that died.
But look at the bright side,new lessons eh?

lendz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/07/2007, 05:05 AM   #128
dlopes
Registered Member

Hi,

No more news from my tank but the time passing. After a month of treatment all the fish look fine. I´ll wait another month..

Quote:
Originally posted by TitoTee
As much as many of us here have tried to give the best advice - it is what it is. I predict at least two more fish in that last pic will die within the month.

I am done with my input in this thread.

Keeping corals is not the same as keeping fish. In my opinion - once you have your water parameters right - meaning a cycled tank and using RO water with high output lighting - you basically can't go wrong with corals.

Keeping fish is a whole different ballgame! You can have a cycled tank and still kill fish after fish.

I say this because Dlopes says he's kept a Reef before.

When money is no problem I find that folks don't mind killing fish. It's the guy that says $140 of my hard earned money is a lot! You can be sure that kind of guy will learn how to keep fish alive.
It´s probably my bad english working here but you really find to hard to say something nice!!! All I can say is thanks for all your advices.

Cheers,
Diogo

dlopes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/07/2007, 10:25 AM   #129
TitoTee
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dlopes
Hi,

No more news from my tank but the time passing. After a month of treatment all the fish look fine. I´ll wait another month..

It´s probably my bad english working here but you really find to hard to say something nice!!! All I can say is thanks for all your advices.

Cheers,
Diogo
LOL no not all Dlopes - like I said much earlier in your thread I really like the tank and even linked the thread to another site I favor to show some friends how beautiful your tank looks. But now look at your tank - it's stripped down man! There's nothing beautiful about it. And look how many fish died. I have good things to say when they need to be said and Bad things to say when they need to be said as well. And since you said nothing new to report - that must mean no more fish died right? So that's a good thing I can say, hey good to hear no new mortalities. When you get a chance post another pic of your tank.

TitoTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/07/2007, 10:59 AM   #130
dlopes
Registered Member

Hi,

As I said - no more news to had! Offcourse it means that no more dead fish! I can put anther pic but it will be just like the one posted before...

Now I´m planning the aquascape that I´ll put over in the begining of january. I´m thinking about a bare bottom with a closed loop under some reefplates. Something simple that can provide a lot of circulation under the rocks and keep the maintenance simple.

I´ll probably stay with the trickle filters that I´m currently running with the old substracte.

Anyone has a better idea?

Cheers,
Diogo

Old 12/07/2007, 10:48 PM   #131
Marc
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dlopes
Hi,

As I said - no more news to had! Offcourse it means that no more dead fish! I can put anther pic but it will be just like the one posted before...

Now I´m planning the aquascape that I´ll put over in the begining of january. I´m thinking about a bare bottom with a closed loop under some reefplates. Something simple that can provide a lot of circulation under the rocks and keep the maintenance simple.

I´ll probably stay with the trickle filters that I´m currently running with the old substracte.

Anyone has a better idea?

Cheers,
Diogo

That is exactly what I am planning on doing with my FOWLR. I am tired of siphoning sand of dirt and having sand blown around by my powerful pumps. I plan on taking it out and putting it in my 58 gallon refuge for caulerpa algae etc. Plus with more flow around the rocks the tank will stay free of algae and the water should be sparkling clear. There is a hobbiest here on Reefcentral who did the same thing and he has so much flow the fish are blown around the tank! LOL!!!

Marc

Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/08/2007, 06:49 AM   #132
dlopes
Registered Member

Hi Marc,

Quote:
Originally posted by Marc
That is exactly what I am planning on doing with my FOWLR. I am tired of siphoning sand of dirt and having sand blown around by my powerful pumps. I plan on taking it out and putting it in my 58 gallon refuge for caulerpa algae etc. Plus with more flow around the rocks the tank will stay free of algae and the water should be sparkling clear.
I´m gonna try to have a lot of ciculation under the rocks and I´m also gonna had a new refuge with chaetomorpha...

Cheers,
Diogo

Old 12/26/2007, 12:17 PM   #133
dlopes
Registered Member

Hi,

Another bad day... the emperator is dead!!! Why...???! I really don´t have the answer but I can assume it was stress or the result of some internal infecions. The truth is that anything works.

Meanwhile today I start adding some reefplates and gradually start to put the salinity up - I just put some salt water in the reposition tank.

Here´s a pic...

Cheers,
Diogo

Old 12/26/2007, 12:51 PM   #134
mattsilvester
Registered Member

Sorry to hear about your emporer - its gutting to loose a fish like an emporer.....

Sorry to say it, but I don't there was any "mysterious" infection that killed him, it was probably just the stress of all that has gone on with your tank...... they really can't handle that I'm afraid. In my opinion they are quite a hardy fish - hardier than most people think, but their achilies heel is that they cannot handle "stress"......

Better luck nect time.....

Matt

Matt

"Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men."

"Nemo mortalium omnibus horis sapit" - no man is at all times wise.

"To a hammer, everything is a nail!"

Current Tank Info: RSM 130
mattsilvester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/27/2007, 03:21 AM   #135
WuHT
Registered Member

if anything..this at least shows how hardy auriga BF , damselfish, and your remaining flagfin and singapore angels are

WuHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/27/2007, 03:28 AM   #136
dlopes
Registered Member

Hi,

Quote:
Originally posted by WuHT
if anything..this at least shows how hardy auriga BF , damselfish, and your remaining flagfin and singapore angels are
Yep! Nevertheless flagfin angels are known as not so hardy...!

Cheers,
Diogo

Old 12/27/2007, 06:49 AM   #137
TitoTee
Registered Member

Hey! Why is no one mentioning the clown? The clown has proven to be prety hardy as well!!

Old 12/27/2007, 08:05 AM   #138
dlopes
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TitoTee
Hey! Why is no one mentioning the clown? The clown has proven to be prety hardy as well!!
They are! This where born in captivity and that make them even more hardy. I lost 4 in the treatment because they where to fragile due to the fights that took place once I put the anemones. The other 4 are ok and growing.

Cheers,
Diogo

Old 01/19/2008, 07:06 PM   #139
chwattscaw
Registered Member

dlopes,

were you using RO water for topoff and salt mix?

Thanks,
Chris

chwattscaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/05/2008, 02:44 PM   #140
baldomero
Registered Member

thats the best looking fowlr tank ive seen to date too bad you went through all those changes.

baldomero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/06/2008, 08:54 AM   #141
zens
Premium Member

what's the body count thus far?

zens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/06/2008, 10:45 AM   #142
JonBoy45
Registered Member

This whole experience is REALLY SAD. Why? Because the knowledge was out there, and it was ignored. All those beautiful fish gone because of ignorance. There's no "mystery" here- no mysterious deaths, no wild-caught poisoning, no language barriers, NOTHING in the course of this whole thread was unforeseeable, or unexpected. And so many people tried to help.

20 years of "experience" doesn't amount to jack, if you haven't learned the basics. I, for one am outraged at such blatant disregard for life. My true thoughts would be censored by moderators if I actually wrote it here.

You sir, dlopes, are an ignorant human. The worst of our kind.

JonBoy45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/06/2008, 12:45 PM   #143
JonBoy45
Registered Member

There's so much information available and so many people who are willing to educate and share experiences, yet ignorance is the preferred method.

Please read The Conscientious Aquarist, by Bob Fenner.

Please visit WetWebMedia for unlimited knowledge on how to properly maintain life in this hobby.

I've learned what little I know by reading far more posts than I've created. Perhaps that's something we should be tracking, as an indication to what one knows, and not how many posts we've made.

JonBoy45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/06/2008, 12:49 PM   #144
HPD Turbo
Registered Member

I agreed with you JonoBy45.

Reefteria!!!!

If man evolved from monkeys and apes, why do we still have monkeys and apes?

Current Tank Info: 100gal, total system. Mixed reef. All DIY ex the tank.
HPD Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/06/2008, 02:23 PM   #145
mattsilvester
Registered Member

HPD Turbo - I love your signature! The monkeys and apes thing.... got me laughing

Matt

"Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men."

"Nemo mortalium omnibus horis sapit" - no man is at all times wise.

"To a hammer, everything is a nail!"

Current Tank Info: RSM 130
mattsilvester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/07/2008, 11:13 AM   #146
Cubman777
Registered Member

Looks great. Great thread too. I love the variety.
If I could make one suggestion from an aesthetic point of view,
scrape your rear glass clean. Seriously, your tank is beautiful and you have some great fish, but they would look 10x better if they were against a solid black or dark blue backdrop instead of the multicolor backdrop they are against now. There would be greater color contrast between the bright colors of the fish and the background. Visually, greater contrast leads to more striking colors.

If all of the girls from my prom were laid end to end,
I wouldn't be the least bit surprised.

Current Tank Info: My tank, uh, doesn't exist anymore...
Cubman777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/08/2008, 09:01 AM   #147
TitoTee
Registered Member

JonBoy45 - I feel your sentiment.

I can only hope that the poster was not experimenting - I do get the impression that he was. At the end of the day - it's his money and his lessons to learn. In my humble opinion the worst thing he did was to add soo many fish in soo little time. That is a recipe ripe for ultimate disater. ANd when he thought that the Moorish Idols should do well - he BLEW his cover as one possesing little knowledge of fish.

Old 02/08/2008, 11:50 AM   #148
stdreb27
Registered Member

That was a predictable thread. Quite sad.

stdreb27 is online now   Reply With Quote