Reef Central Online Community
Marine Depot

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 12/24/2007, 01:22 PM   #1
Faisal1976us
Registered Member

Red Gorgonia ?

Hi ,,,

From three days i buy red gorgonia ,

http://www.flickr.com/photos/torvaanser/1072727000/

but i dont know its name ?
and is it photosyntheticnor not photosynthetic ?
and what is you advice about it ?

Faisal1976us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/25/2007, 05:49 AM   #2
Frick-n-Frags
Registered Member

not photosynthetic.

good flow, very low/no light, probably needs some mix of zoo and phyto plankton to do well

they like laminar flow and grow in deeper steadier currents. then they can grow their fan to the most efficient orientation with respect to the prevailing current. that is kind of the game with sponges too.

Current Tank Info: 2 50 gal tanks, sump, still BB
Frick-n-Frags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/25/2007, 09:29 AM   #3
dendro982
Registered Member

Did you already bought it? If not, try with larger polyps, red finger gorgonian (Diodogorgia) or Menella. Or Swiftia, if you like cheerful tangerine orange.

I bought recently this one and already asked here - this is likely Elisella or Leptogorgia, people had problem with it - algae growth in well lit tanks, and if it stops to open for a feeding - declines (Jens information, if memory serves. I could give a link to the thread, but not nice things are going there now).

From my experience, it's:
- looks significantly worse, then listed above gorgonians (1mm thin branches and even smaller polyps),
- requires quite an amount on finest food (sized to fit these tiny mouthes, and amount, sufficient to feed them all),
- as a velvet fabric, collects everything, floating in the tank.

Relatively strong flow (I'm using reflected from the glass, others - laminar or on wavemaker), shaded or dark spot (to prevent algae growth), no small particles, settling on the coral, food - zooplankton of rotifer and decapsulated brine shrimp eggs size, different varieties. Good filtration and skimmer (or very small coral).

5g - sea apples
NC12 - tube anemone
20g L - frogfish
125g - filefishes and lion

Current Tank Info: 6 BB tanks: NPS, filter feeders and odd fish. LPS, sps and clams too
dendro982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/25/2007, 11:12 AM   #4
CleveYank
20 Years and Over

I agree with dendro982 and F n F.
I will add to the posts that a small shot of iodine and since that can spike blooms if you are not careful is something that gorgonias need/like. (test for levels periodically and best to underdose if you add it at all)

But this gorgonia is not a novice item and I would think that nutrient levels would need to be stellar (low and in almost perfect balance) to insure success with this specific gorgonia.

I like the purple bodied one that has the tan polyps. It's fairly easy care and still gets you the neat tree branch growing habit. Someone know the name of it feel free to chime in.

Good Luck.

CleveYank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/25/2007, 01:37 PM   #5
Faisal1976us
Registered Member

I feed the tank phytoplankton , cyclop eeze , did you think thats enough !

Faisal1976us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/25/2007, 10:51 PM   #6
dendro982
Registered Member

If it is the same, what I have - it will need much smaller zooplanlton - 150-200 micron, like rotifers, and cyclop-eeze is too big, around 800 micron.
Mine:

Here, at the right, the gorgonian with larger polyps is able to take cyclop-eeze:
The orange swiftia is so far the best (by care and appearance), then - big red (red finger gorgonian, or yellow - the same).

Old 12/25/2007, 11:02 PM   #7
stevelkaneval
Registered Member

i had the yellow and it would take minced mysis,dt's phytoplankton, and marine snow. very low light, in a cave or under something, med-high flow. and i would feed two to three times a day small amounts. but everypolyp would need to be fed. i even fraged it a couple of times. but with that much feeding it puts a burden on the water quality. good skimmer water canges.

"You fail me yet again Star Scream, get them."

Current Tank Info: 20 long,korilia 1,and small ph,aquaclear70 moded fuge,coralife pc's,aqualight flouresent,seaclone skimmer,35lbs lr,green mushrooms and red and blue,and dragon eye zoas,assorted hermit crabs,nassarius snails,turbo snail,
stevelkaneval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/25/2007, 11:07 PM   #8
stevelkaneval
Registered Member

here is mine.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

"You fail me yet again Star Scream, get them."

Current Tank Info: 20 long,korilia 1,and small ph,aquaclear70 moded fuge,coralife pc's,aqualight flouresent,seaclone skimmer,35lbs lr,green mushrooms and red and blue,and dragon eye zoas,assorted hermit crabs,nassarius snails,turbo snail,
stevelkaneval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/27/2007, 04:48 AM   #9
dendro982
Registered Member

stevelkaneval: this is Diodogorgia nodulifera with a large polyps - just what I recommended also as a replacement for an asked about fine polyped, thin-branched, with only 2 rows of polyps - on the sides, red gorgonian.
My red finger gorgonian happened to be close to the this thin gorgonian
Nice coral!