Reef Central Online Community
Tunze USA

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 12/09/2007, 01:29 AM   #1
Rewd
Registered Member

how did your RBTA look after acclimation?

Just wondering what to expect.

The background on my tank is that it's been running since April. It's a 75 gallon with a 20 gallon sump. I DO NOT have a skimmer at the moment. RO, 10% weekly water changes. Currently the only test kit I have is for Nitrates and what I tested came out to about 10. My lighting is 2 by 250 watt 10K metal halides with 200 watt power compact fluorescents. Halides run for roughly 6 hours a day (is this enough for a nem?) and the PCs run for 10 hours.

I bought my first anemone today. It's a gorgeous RBTA with bright yellow tips roughly 3-4 inches across. I acclimated it via a drip method for nearly 3 hours. After I released it to the tank I tried to position it where I wanted it to stay and the foot took hold immediately and hasn't moved since. It's in a spot nearly 3/4 down the tank and is getting a lot of flow.

As soon as the foot took hold the anemone seemed to be fully "extended" and looked incredible. I went out for a few hours and when I came back it was a bit "shriveled" up and the mouth seemed to be protruding.

Since then, however, the tank lights have turned off the for night and the moon lights are on. Now the anemone looks awesome; just like it did after I first got it to attach. Perfect bulb shaped tentacles, even more extended then before and the mouth is less protruded.

I'm sorry for the lack of pictures but our camera isn't available at the moment. Does this sound like normal behavior for a new RBTA? Since the lights have turned off and all I can see is via moonlights.

Is this normal for a RBTA? I think my tank is stable enough for it and my lighting is good. I fed it a piece of mysis shrimp before I went out just to see if it would take it. The mysis stuck to a tentacle but I didn't get to see what it did afterwards once I left.

It's such a beautiful nem and it would really suck if it didn't make it. Any tips for taking care of these would also be appreciated.

Rewd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2007, 04:35 AM   #2
kar93
Registered Member

it will probably take about 2 weeks for it to get settled down and happy this is just a sign of it getting acclimated

kar93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2007, 06:02 AM   #3
cowboyswife
Registered Member

Its behavior is normal. Just monitor your parameters and dont overfeed it.

~Becca

Current Tank Info: Out of the hobby for the time being. But Im sticking around anyway!
cowboyswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2007, 08:42 AM   #4
Racing1
Registered Member

It will take a little time for it to acclimate to your tank.. The lighting is more than enough, it will probably hide a bit until it gets used to the lights.... A pic would be nice, I've never seen an rbta with yellow tips....

Good luck and make sure to cover those powerheads so if he decides to move he doesn't get sucked up in one...

Racing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2007, 09:21 AM   #5
dc
Moderator Emeritus

A little on the scarey side.

In the bag after shipping

Why? Because I said so of course.

-Sent via Tapatalk Smoke Signals-
dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2007, 09:43 AM   #6
garygb
Registered Member

Looks healthy. Just give it time to settle in. May take a week or more for it to find a spot and stay there--so cover any pump intakes.

garygb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2007, 12:11 PM   #7
Rewd
Registered Member

DC, thats almost exactly how mine looked except it has the bubble tips.

Just an update.. it wandered last night. Straight down in to the the LR. I can barely see it now but it appears to be looking good. I'm concerned it won't get any light down there, though.

Any suggestions on what to do? The cracks in the LR are so small I can't even figure out how it got itself down there.

Old 12/09/2007, 03:05 PM   #8
geedub
Registered Member

anemones are over 90% water im pretty sure.. they can get anywhere if they want to

geedub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2007, 03:41 PM   #9
NirvanaFan
Reef Ninja

It will move wherever it wants. If it's not getting enough light, it will move back up higher in the tank. You've got plenty of light for it. Good luck and keep us posted.

NirvanaFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2007, 06:02 PM   #10
Rewd
Registered Member

thanks everyone!

Old 12/09/2007, 07:25 PM   #11
hybridgenius
Moved On

Yea dont worry... RBTA are known to hide for a week or two then come back out. They LOVE crevices... so it might actually STAY there and then when acclimated, STRETCH out for some light.

hybridgenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/28/2007, 02:26 PM   #12
Cigar
Registered Member

any updates btw would love to see a pic of the rbta w/ yellow tips

Cigar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/28/2007, 02:49 PM   #13
SPARTAN VI
Registered Member

I got my RBTA over 2 weeks ago maybe. Looks the same:

Last edited by SPARTAN VI; 12/28/2007 at 03:28 PM.
SPARTAN VI is offline   Reply With Quote