Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 12/21/2007, 07:40 PM   #76
reefman13
Registered Member

That is an adorable puppy! What kind? Def. a reason to be busy Is he yours? Great holiday present

Tank is looking good.

Are you dosing anything?

I would put that surface skimmer on the tank. IT will get rid of a lot of the scum on top of the water.

"One day I will be back in this hobby..." spoken like a true High School student...

Current Tank Info: None for now...for now...
reefman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/21/2007, 07:48 PM   #77
WM15
Registered Member

he is a beagle and yes he is my families
nope im not dosing anything right now. should i?
and i think im gonna get a skimmer any recomendations on what type

WM15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/21/2007, 08:01 PM   #78
WM15
Registered Member

Old 12/21/2007, 08:16 PM   #79
AM13
Registered Member

Awesome pictures
Those are really really cool fishies!!!

Old 12/21/2007, 08:19 PM   #80
AM13
Registered Member

i forgot to tell u
That is a really cool anemone too!!!

Old 12/21/2007, 09:04 PM   #81
SPARTAN VI
Registered Member

Is that a condylactis? Probably a little too soon to get an anemone bro. I made the same mistake, but my tank was running for 4 months before I picked up my condy. Some would recommend at least 6 months, others swear 12 months. They require pristine water conditions which usually comes with a well established tank.

Your ocellaris probably wont host in the condylactis either. Some claim their condy's have stung or eaten they ocellaris/perculas..

I also see that one of your clowns has white stringy poop. This may indicate the presence of an internal parasite. Are they

[edit] Did you create another ID just to comment in your own thread or is just a coincidence that AM13's name scheme resembles your own, his typing style is identical, and his first two posts are in this thread?

Last edited by SPARTAN VI; 12/21/2007 at 09:15 PM.
SPARTAN VI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/21/2007, 09:52 PM   #82
WM15
Registered Member

the person at the store threw in the nem for like 15 dollars cheaper.
if you think it has a internal parasite then should i set up a QT for it?
and no i didnt make that ID up my friend saw it at school and was joking around.

Old 12/22/2007, 11:18 AM   #83
WM15
Registered Member

Old 12/24/2007, 10:15 PM   #84
WM15
Registered Member

i just got home from my grandparents for christmas eve dinner and saw that nothin was moving in the tank. so i turned the lights on and both clowns and both peppermint shrimp are dead. the clowns made me laugh everyday, i already miss them. the anemone, kenya tree, and blue stripped mushroom both look fine. pretty crappy christmas present. tho there is no way im giving up this easily.

params:
pH: 7.5
ammonia: 0
nitrates: 0 ppm
nitrites: .25

the inside of the glass was covered in a thin layer of something white.

Old 12/25/2007, 01:49 PM   #85
SPARTAN VI
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WM15
i just got home from my grandparents for christmas eve dinner and saw that nothin was moving in the tank. so i turned the lights on and both clowns and both peppermint shrimp are dead. the clowns made me laugh everyday, i already miss them. the anemone, kenya tree, and blue stripped mushroom both look fine. pretty crappy christmas present. tho there is no way im giving up this easily.

params:
pH: 7.5
ammonia: 0
nitrates: 0 ppm
nitrites: .25

the inside of the glass was covered in a thin layer of something white.
Sorry for your loss, terrible way to begin Christmas..

Curious why you have any measurable nitrites and no nitrates after you've cycled... it should be the other way around; you sure you didn't mix em up by mistake? Then again, this nitrite bloom could be converted ammonia from your recently deceased livestock. Are you using a reagent kit or test strips?

Also your pH is much too low for a reef tank, should be around 8.0-8.4. Did you mix your own saltwater or buy it from the LFS?

I have algae/diatom growth on the inside of my glass which only appears white when thin and in the light. As it builds it will turn brown until a snail finally waltzes over and eats it. I don't think this growth is related to the death of your fish/shrimp, though.

What's the winter weather like in your area? If your heater malfunctioned or is turned off, it's possible that your live stock just froze to death. That's all I can really think of that would prove lethal to your live stock (both fish and inverts) so quickly and undetected.

Old 12/29/2007, 06:20 PM   #86
SPARTAN VI
Registered Member

Any updates?

Old 12/29/2007, 06:51 PM   #87
WM15
Registered Member

i did a big water change 3 days ago and now the parameters are back to what they were before the fish croaked. the only thing is i have a big algae problem now. the pH wasnt that low before i left for my grandparents.

i think im gonna get some snails and hermits to solve my algae problem and then take it very slow after that by letting the snails and hermit crabs in the tank for a good 2-3 weeks before adding a fish. the only thing to survive the massacre was the kenya tree. i heard these were a PITA to get rid of tho once the started multiplying.

i also found a 150 watt/14k sunpod for 200 new in box and i thik im gonna get this cause i am definatly going to want a nem later on and i want it to flourish under MH's. also a good family friend is goin to give me a small clam to care for until it gets bigger and i heard they need bright lights.

also i like the aqua c remora with the mj1200 and am probably gonna get that. found this to new for a good price on ebay.

Old 12/29/2007, 07:14 PM   #88
SPARTAN VI
Registered Member

May want to hold off on adopting the clam. They require a "well" established tank, bright lighting (that sunpod should work), and water supplements (calcium, iodine, phytoplankton).

Old 01/01/2008, 04:30 PM   #89
WM15
Registered Member

the algae field and the lone survivor of the massacre the kenya tree which has been growing like crazy

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting