Reef Central Online Community
Neptune Systems

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 08/28/2007, 10:19 AM   #26
silvers
Registered Member

If its the stock pump I would not try the mesh mod. They are underpowered as is.If you keep your water leval consistant it wont overflow IME

Current Tank Info: 120g
silvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/30/2007, 08:05 PM   #27
happyface888
Registered Member

Interesting info, is it better to use this as a hang on or a in sump?

happyface888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/30/2007, 09:16 PM   #28
JCTewks
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by silvers
If its the stock pump I would not try the mesh mod. They are underpowered as is.If you keep your water leval consistant it wont overflow IME
I would have to say that the stock pump is probably overkill...def not underpowered. Underproducing, Yes...mesh mod it and all of the turbulence, MB, and flooding will go byebye!

JCTewks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/30/2007, 09:19 PM   #29
happyface888
Registered Member

JCT got any pics of your skimmer in action? MB=media basket?

happyface888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/30/2007, 09:53 PM   #30
stanlalee
Registered Member

the stock pump is rated at 500gph (without air of course) for the 125 and 220 which is right inline with simular size needlewheel skimmers. sedra 5000's are rated at 500gph and octopus OTP-2000 @ 530gph for example.

Last edited by stanlalee; 08/30/2007 at 10:06 PM.
stanlalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/03/2008, 09:36 AM   #31
Chad Vossen
Registered Member

i have the SS65 on my 25G tank. i usually get 1/4-1/2 inch of skimmate each day, but last night i hit the "sweet spot" and pulled a ton of stuff out.

this skimmer cup was almost empty when i went to bed.

Current Tank Info: just a bunch of fish :)
Chad Vossen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/03/2008, 10:32 AM   #32
mg426
Registered Member

I would be truly terrified to attempt to use this skimmer in a HOB application.

Current Tank Info: 125 mixed reef 110 lbs LR, 1x250watt XM 20K MH 2x175watt XM 20K MH on Magetics 2X96 watt actinic PC, 220 watt VHO actinic, 30 gallon refugium, closed loop system powered by Sequence Dart MSX 200 skimmer 38 gallon sump, Oceansmotions squirt
mg426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/04/2008, 07:13 PM   #33
Garage1217
GET OFF MY LAWN

I used the 65 model as a HOB for about 3 months with 0 issues. Just did exactly what the manual told me to do *LOL* But I also kept my water level dead on. Never overflowed on me once or had any of the other issues people talk about.

It is now converted to sump and it works just as well without the pain in the arse of changing the floss pad in the bubble box. Pulls a full cup of nasty stinking dry skim every 3-4 days "on my 18G high" I almost never mess with it really. Every now and again I have to turn the flow down just a tad, or back up a tad. Never more than 1/8" big whoop as this only happens once a week or so after a small water change.

I have to say, it has been the best bang for the buck I have ever purchased. I just do not understand what people do to these things or not do to make them not work worth a crap or freak out! One guy said "wait 30 days and it will go nuts" then at the 2 month mark, others said it will go nuts then, then at the 3 month mark people said it was short term luck, 5-6 months and still rockin!

I actually plan to buy the 125 for my new 90G since I have had such good luck with it. And people will probably say that I will have probs.. 1st month, 2nd.. 3rd just like the other haha. Great product for the cash!

If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it? ~ Albert Einstein

I'm just as bent as ever. Hellishly so ~ Captain Jack Sparrow

Current Tank Info: Systems and goodies by Lee-Mar / Coralvue / Neptune Systems / Jager / Spectrapure / Cree / Meanwell + more!

Last edited by Garage1217; 01/04/2008 at 07:19 PM.
Garage1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/04/2008, 07:22 PM   #34
Garage1217
GET OFF MY LAWN

Quote:
Originally posted by armagedon48
i have the SS65 on my 25G tank. i usually get 1/4-1/2 inch of skimmate each day, but last night i hit the "sweet spot" and pulled a ton of stuff out.

this skimmer cup was almost empty when i went to bed.
Damn you ticked it off good! hahaha Great pull, nasty crap. I get the same really really dark smelly nasty crap out of mine. Just not near as much as I only have two small firefish

If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it? ~ Albert Einstein

I'm just as bent as ever. Hellishly so ~ Captain Jack Sparrow

Current Tank Info: Systems and goodies by Lee-Mar / Coralvue / Neptune Systems / Jager / Spectrapure / Cree / Meanwell + more!
Garage1217 is offline   Reply With Quote