Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 06/24/2006, 04:24 PM   #126
cediss
Registered Member

Coming along quite well. Keep us posted with pics! Thanks, Chris

cediss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/25/2006, 11:57 PM   #127
xdusty6920
Registered Member

awesome regal! and awesome tank! i live plywood tank threads and this is another must read thread. thanks for posting all the great info and pics.

xdusty6920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/01/2006, 05:29 AM   #128
Chihuahua6
Premium Member

How about some updated pics of your tank and your closed loop plumbing?
Also do your angels bother your coral?

Current Tank Info: First salt tank 1985, current tank 150 g acrylic
Chihuahua6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/27/2006, 08:32 AM   #129
roliva
Registered Member

What weight (6oz, 10oz, etc) fiberglass cloth is sufficient to do a plywood tank?

Old 09/27/2006, 08:59 AM   #130
Johan Susanto
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by scchase
Here we go

how long it take to grow coraline in your tank?
with the return pump did u use any OM ??

Johan Susanto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/27/2006, 04:30 PM   #131
reefez
Registered Member

Very nice tank! Could you help a bit more in explaining the acrylic overflow, and bulkheads? Did you use sealer on the bulkheads? Or did they seal fine without ? Looks as if the overflow is internal correct? How does the water get ouy of the tank?
Thanks for all the help, and congrats on your tank. Awesome job!

Current Tank Info: 125gal. 30gal. sump Octopus 3000 skimmer. Monster sailfin tang, purple Tang, yellow tang, Copperband Butterfly, Coral Beauty, Marine Beta, Pair of Vanuatu Tomato Clowns BB With 170lbs. LR
reefez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/27/2006, 05:05 PM   #132
46bfinGA
Registered Member

i was planning on building a large acrylic tank but im starting to think that a plywood tank with glass front would be easier.do you think it would be possible to line the two sides and back with thin acrylic sheets or frp so that you could ...

a. protect the sides from urchins,puffers,etc....
b. be able to clean and scrub the walls.

im planning on something around 96x48x36(30) or 10' if space allows and can i get away with 3/4 plywood.is the plywood pressure treated or any type of special coated plywood?

46bfinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/27/2006, 05:13 PM   #133
scchase
Premium Member

I have no idea what weight of fiberglass I used I just got whatever it was they had at home depot sorry I can't help you more there.
The overflow is actually made out of 2 pieces of 1/4" glass that run the length of the tank and are 6" wide each so one piece comes out from the back of the tank then the second piece rests on top of the first piece perpendicular to it to create the overflow area from there there is a bulkhead drilled into the back of the overflow area and it sealed just fine with the gaskets taht came with it no additional silicone required.
As far as the return pump is concerned I could't/ didnt want to risk using an OM due to the eductor wich at least last time I checked would have been to much pressure for the OM.
The closed loop is drilled about half way down the back of the tank for the inlet side then just comes back up over the rim with a manifold along the top that dead ends at the far end of the tank and an outlet about every 8".
As far as corraline I didn't really notice any sort of slower growth rate on the epoxy then normal it has entirely covered the back and sides now with the 1 year aniversarry of filling the tank coming up soon.
I'll try to get some photos soon for updates but today is abad day becauser the big clam has been making a mess getting my water all cloudy.

scchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/27/2006, 05:19 PM   #134
scchase
Premium Member

No idea on the Acrylic but I attempted a similar tank a few years ago using FRP and it failed miserably due to the rigidity of the material and not being able to get it to lay perfectly flat against the plywood allowing it to flew and break the silicone seams that an dsilicone doesnt bond well to FRP I found out, also I wouldnt go 36" deep even at 30" mine is a nightmare to clean or move stuff around near the bottom even with 5+" of sand. Plywood was not pressure and in general a marine grade is reccomended. I didn't use amarine grade and went witha higher quility plywood to ease some of the sanding requirments for the fiberglass alyer and then just sealed the entire tank with epoxy.

Old 01/09/2008, 07:41 PM   #135
CleveYank
20 Years and Over

Hey there,

I was wondering.

How's this tank doing?

Construction wise that is. Do you have pics of how well the outside is holding up. Leaks, stress anything you're not happy with now that you are "down" the road in time since you built it?

My house makes it prohibitive to get a large tank down my basement. Stupid stairs in kitchen. So I will have to build it pretty much onsite.

And of course...if you have some snap shots of livestock...hey why not a couple of those too.

Thanks, Mike

CleveYank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/14/2008, 10:44 PM   #136
klasiksb
Registered Member

any updates?

Old 05/20/2008, 06:00 PM   #137
AcroSteve
Make my Funk a P-Funk

Still holding water??

don't go ninjin' nobody that don't need ninjin'!

Current Tank Info: 220g custom plywood. SPS heavy with Sequence Hammerhead return with 4-Way OM. Tunze 6100, 6200 and Wavebox. 5000btu DIY Chiller. Lighting is 10K mh 250W / VHO Actinic Skimer - H&S A200-2x1260
AcroSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/21/2008, 09:14 AM   #138
CleveYank
20 Years and Over

I sent this chap a nice PM inquiring how this tank was doing. On the onset it seems like such a wonderful build. I thought he would be happy to toot his horn of continued success. EI for what ever reason good luck getting any response from this party Steve.

Old 05/21/2008, 09:26 AM   #139
scchase
Premium Member

Sorry for the lack of responses been super busy and wanting to get some now photos taken but yes its still holding water great nothing really that I am unhappy with and its all holding up superbly looks like the day i build it other than all the coraline on the inside Ill try to get some new pics this weekend and get em up.

Old 05/21/2008, 08:04 PM   #140
CleveYank
20 Years and Over

Quote:
Originally posted by scchase
Sorry for the lack of responses been super busy and wanting to get some now photos taken but yes its still holding water great nothing really that I am unhappy with and its all holding up superbly looks like the day i build it other than all the coraline on the inside Ill try to get some new pics this weekend and get em up.
Fantastic!!!

I rarely read every entry in a thread. This one got my attention when I was pondering your plywood design. But I was wondering about the longevity. Thanks for updating. Will definately add your map to help my road I hope to travel.

Old 09/03/2008, 05:39 PM   #141
scchase
Premium Member

Ok finally got a new camera and some new pictures for you all Ill get some more in the near future but at least some of what i promised

Old 09/03/2008, 06:50 PM   #142
downset
Reef Zen Monster

Looks awesome

downset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/03/2008, 07:34 PM   #143
jaze36
Registered Member

Looks Great, can't wait to see more. Glad to see an up date.

jaze36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/03/2008, 07:37 PM   #144
ox5477
Registered Member

awesome man. Can you scrape the walls if you wanted? Or does the epoxy coat make it so you can't scrape it normally like glass or acrylic? I know fiberglass is pretty hard, but I'm sure you don't want to get a small cut in the fiberglass to possibly let water leach into the wood structure.

Can I request some more close up pics of the clam(s)?? They look huge

Current Tank Info: 125G Cichlid set-up, 55G mixed reef -> currently under construction, 90G upgrade
ox5477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/03/2008, 08:29 PM   #145
scchase
Premium Member

I am scared about scratching the walls so I dont scrape them also dont keep urchins for the same reason and heres a pic of the clams from tonight as well. The biggest one is somewere around 14"

Old 09/03/2008, 08:39 PM   #146
Ricecakeguy
Moved On

what a nice tank, i am so jealous

Ricecakeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/03/2008, 08:40 PM   #147
"Umm, fish?"
Premium Member

Beautiful tank! Thanks for the new pictures!

"And chase the frothy bubbles, / While the world is full of troubles. . . ." --W. B. Yeats

Current Tank Info: ~480 gal. display, ~1,400 gal. system
"Umm, fish?" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/03/2008, 08:52 PM   #148
ox5477
Registered Member

Nice bud, like the patterning on the two middle ones... sorta tiger like on both, but with different shades of orange/brown... very beautiful! They must suck up the calc like nobodies business haha

Ox

Current Tank Info: 125G Cichlid set-up, 55G mixed reef -> currently under construction, 90G upgrade
ox5477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/03/2008, 08:52 PM   #149
scchase
Premium Member

Still learnign to use this camera got the Olympus 1030SW and taking them under water has proven real nice so far.

Old 09/03/2008, 09:06 PM   #150
scchase
Premium Member