Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 01/09/2008, 02:02 PM   #1
Gwynhidwy
Meat Popsicle

Skunk Cleaner Shrimp Eating Snails?

I have five skunk cleaner shrimp (Lysmata amboinensis) in my 155G reef. A couple of times now I've seen a shrimp (not necessarily a particular one, but I can't tell them apart), with a snail turned over on its back apparently eating the snail. What I'm hoping to find out is if they are eating dead snails or attacking live snails.

The first time I assumed it was simple a dead snail, but I've seen it a couple of times now in the last few weeks and since I'm not watching the tank all the time its probably happening when I'm gone too. I can't think of any reason that the snails would be dying off either as everything in the tank looks good. This tank has been up and running for about six months.

Water parameters as follows:
pH: 8.3
temp: 80F
Ammonia: undetectable
Nitrite: undetectable
Nitrate: undetectable
SG: 1.025

Any ideas?

Gwynhidwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/09/2008, 02:18 PM   #2
Diver4life
Registered Member

Dont know for sure, never heard of cleaner shrimps killing snail. i have 4 of them same as yours and dont bother anything in my tank except stealing food. Hope somebody else can help you. Good luck.

Current Tank Info: 90 gal, 110 lb LR, 90 lb LS, 29 gal sump/fuge, ASM G1 skimmer, Mag 9 return pump, solar xtreme 48'' T5, Koralias 1400, Reefkeeper Lite Plus.
Diver4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/09/2008, 02:45 PM   #3
bertoni
RC Mod

I haven't heard of that being a problem, either, but I suppose if the shrimp gets hungry, it might prey on snails. Most shrimps aren't very picky about what they eat, and you might have gotten a particularly predatory individual.

Old 01/09/2008, 02:54 PM   #4
atvdave
Premium Member

I have had the same problem. But I only notice that the cleaner shrimp only go after a sick or newly added snail.

Now when I add a snail I always make sure he is attached himself to the side of the glass so if a shrimp does come around he can pull down tight and seal himself off from the shrimp.

But this only happens to new or sick snails. They leave the others alone.

atvdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/09/2008, 03:24 PM   #5
ahullsb
Registered Member

I've never seem mine go after a healthy snail. Are you sure they aren't trying to clean it? I'd imagine that almost anything in the tank would go after an overturned snail at some time. They seem kind of like MRE's for fish tanks...

Sacramento, CA

Current Tank Info: 55 gallon reef w/20 gallon sump/ER135/ 75 pounds of live rock, 4 in sandbed, 2 b&w ocellaris clowns, yellow watchman/pistol, rosy scaled wrasse, Mystery wrasse, Copperbanded Butterfly, Lighting 48" outer orbit 2 150 mh/ 4 t5 actinics
ahullsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/09/2008, 04:28 PM   #6
Norward
Premium Member

After adding my cleaner shrimp, nothing else, I have lost all three of my conch snails, more recently a margarite, and this week a turbo! Now, I have to admit that I wondered if a nassarius had come up after the conches. Something is up in my tank and I believe it's the inverts responsible.

Norward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/09/2008, 05:00 PM   #7
Pea-brain
Moved On

Most margaritas are from cold waters and die within 3-4 months in our tropical aquariums. It may have died naturally....

Dan

Pea-brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/09/2008, 06:27 PM   #8
Gwynhidwy
Meat Popsicle

Thanks very much for the replies. I've never seen cleaner shrimp be aggressive either. I suppose if I don't see the water quality going down then there are still at least enough doing their jobs.

He who learns must suffer, and, even in our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God. -- Aeschylus
Gwynhidwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/09/2008, 09:05 PM   #9
dustybuddy
Registered Member

do u have any powerheads in your tank by any chance or something that might flip snails over? my snails kept going onto my powerheads, got sucked up a little by the intake and then dropped on their backs in the sand. they couldn't turn upright and it was a feast for my cleaner shrimp.

dustybuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/09/2008, 09:21 PM   #10
seapug
Registered Member

My skunk cleaner shrimp pair used to go on rampages and murder dozens of stomatella snails at a time. Really made me mad so I got a flame hawkfish.

No more skunk cleaner shrimp.

Current Tank Info: 200 gallon custom Marineland DD peninsular tank. LPS dominated mixed reef. Previous 90 gallon mixed reef TOTM April 2009.
seapug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/07/2012, 09:23 AM   #11
saltyjarhead
Registered Member

Glad I found this post I thought I was going crazy. Yesturday I noticed one of my turbo snails had fallen off a piece of LR and was upside down. I thought no biggie he will flip himself back over. Later last night after doing some honey do's I go inside and find an empty shell and a chunk of snail on the sand right beneeth my cleaner shrimp. I said no way that guy just ate the snail, but what else could of done it? I only have snails and a few hermits and the cleaner shrimp in my tank no fish.

Current Tank Info: 30 GAL Reef
saltyjarhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/04/2013, 03:02 AM   #12
Kb8mcz
Registered Member

I was sitting in front of my tank tonight and was checking out a small snail half the size of a pea that hitch hiked with my LR. All of a sudden my cleaner shrimp came down and picked up the live snail as I was watching it move around and cleaned out the shell in three minutes.

Kb8mcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/04/2013, 01:50 PM   #13
nynick
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltyjarhead View Post
Glad I found this post I thought I was going crazy. Yesturday I noticed one of my turbo snails had fallen off a piece of LR and was upside down. I thought no biggie he will flip himself back over. Later last night after doing some honey do's I go inside and find an empty shell and a chunk of snail on the sand right beneeth my cleaner shrimp. I said no way that guy just ate the snail, but what else could of done it? I only have snails and a few hermits and the cleaner shrimp in my tank no fish.
Turbo snails don't live very long in our warm tanks. It probably died and shrimps will eat anything. I bet you could throw a marshmallow in there and the shrimp will eat it.

Also, keep in mind that an animal who does the humane thing and actually waits for the poor snail to die before eating it would starve in the wild. Often when you see something "kill" in a tank it is just hurrying things up.

nynick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/09/2013, 07:00 PM   #14
CAPSLOK
Registered Member

My roommate watched my skunk cleaner hunt down, carry off, and eat a peppermint shrimp this afternoon... Both shrimp added on Sunday. He was stalking the other peppermint this evening, which I then removed (but I think I will be swapping out the skunk instead and keeping the peppermint).

CAPSLOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/08/2013, 01:01 AM   #15
fattytwobyfour
Registered Member

I just watched my skunk cleaner shrimp rip up a snail that was crawling on the live rock, and eat it. I feed my shrimp very heavy, every other day. (I have to, in order to keep them off the corals while I'm feeding them). I am sorry that I ever put them in my tank. They are evil.

fattytwobyfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/08/2013, 12:47 PM   #16
SushiGirl
Premium Member

We had a large skunk cleaner grab a cerith off the rock, rip it out of its shell & eat it right in front of us. I was shocked even though i knew it had eaten our stomatellas. Shrimp died a couple days later...karma LOL. I always hand fed my shrimp every day. This was the largest I'd ever bought, I have to assume it was wild caught (since raising them is unsuccessful) and probably old to boot.

Current Tank Info: 55g softy/LPS tank & 20L reef tank
SushiGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/31/2018, 06:46 PM   #17
Megbays
Registered Member

I think my shrimp. Is too! I actually caught him in the act! I couldn’t believe it. However, he is a favorite in the tank so I can’t get rid of him however all my nassurius should be on high alert ��

Megbays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/31/2018, 07:30 PM   #18
FirstContact
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atvdave View Post
I have had the same problem. But I only notice that the cleaner shrimp only go after a sick or newly added snail.

Now when I add a snail I always make sure he is attached himself to the side of the glass so if a shrimp does come around he can pull down tight and seal himself off from the shrimp.

But this only happens to new or sick snails. They leave the others alone.
Nice ribbons. Semper Fi!

By the way, my skunk cleaner shrimp were model citizens and huge. I fed them silver sides and they never bothered any snails.

Current Tank Info: 120g Reef 100g Rubbermaid Sump, 20g Refugium; previous tank: 46g Drilled; Self Plumbed, Birds Nest, Anchor, Xenia, Zoas, Yuma Yuma Ricordea, Chalice, Mushrooms, Brain, Acan, Anenome Plate; Clams, Other Inverts, Fish, Live Rock

Last edited by FirstContact; 05/31/2018 at 09:39 PM.
FirstContact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/01/2018, 07:24 AM   #19
nereefpat
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstContact View Post
I fed them silver sides and they never bothered any snails.
My opinion is that the shrimp need fed...and the same for hermits.

A girls gotta eat.

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
nereefpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/02/2018, 05:47 PM   #20
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Skunk eat snails.....absolutely!

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/02/2018, 07:01 PM   #21
Anemone
Cloning Around

Cleaners are opportunistic scavengers and will absolutely eat stomatella snails. They will also eat any snail that's flipped over and can't protect itself. That being said, most healthy snails CAN flip themselves back over, or seal their shells with their operculum (ie, protect themselves). Snails that can't, are often on their way out.

Kevin

Current Tank Info: Red Sea 425XL w/Kessil AP700, Vertex 180i Skimmer, 2 x Vortech MP40s
Anemone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/02/2018, 07:17 PM   #22
AlSimmons
Registered Member

IME most healthy snails can fend off the small claws of a cleaner shrimp. That tissue is firm, tight. Like mentioned above though unless the snail was on it's way out it should be able to weather the attack.

Last edited by AlSimmons; 06/05/2018 at 09:41 AM.
AlSimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/05/2018, 09:17 AM   #23
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

My 3" cleaner takes out Trochus snails with little trouble and these can right themselves.
Opportunistic scavenger, YUP!

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote