Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 01/10/2008, 03:46 PM   #1
msu spartan
Registered Member

Cool i set up my new 10 galllon and need an answer

i put the everything in the tank, from my 5.5, but i only had 6lbs or live rock, so shoild i get 4 lbs of live rock or 4lbs or baserock

b/c if i add the liverock, there would be die off and a small cycle so it would harm the fish and inverts

Current Tank Info: since december 1st 2007
msu spartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/10/2008, 03:50 PM   #2
reefergeorge
Registered Member

If the rock is cured, and stays wet it shouldn't cause a cycle. OR
You could cure it in a separate container, or the old tank. Then add it to your tank without a problem.

Current Tank Info: 125 aggressive reef, DIY led lighting, swc cone skimmer, 33 gallon sump, posiden Ps3 return.
reefergeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/10/2008, 03:52 PM   #3
dileggi
Premium Member

I'm thinking it depends. I added an add'l 12lbs or so of live rock to my tank after it had fish in there, but it was cured, and I only added small pieces at a time - over the course of 2 weeks. Although, at the time, I never even thought of the issue of a small cycle happening.

I'm sure if you did small pieces at a time, it's technically no different than adding livestock and once the tank adjusts to handle the new bio load, you add the next piece.

As a side note, I also at the time didn't know you could seed base rock into live rock, or I may have opted for that option.

I would definitely add a bit more of the rock one way or another though.

Hopefully, someone with more experience can enlighten us both!

*edit-didn't see reefergeorge's post! LOL!

"The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled, was convincing the world he didn't exist." - Usual Suspects

Current Tank Info: 90g w/30g sump; skimmer; 2x175w MH & 2x super white actinic...3g w/.5g fuge 1x150w MH Viper
dileggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/10/2008, 04:32 PM   #4
seapug
Registered Member

adding CURED live rock that's purchased locally and immediately brought home will probably immediately improve the water quality, not hurt it. Adding new rock is a good way to give a tank a little boost.

Current Tank Info: 200 gallon custom Marineland DD peninsular tank. LPS dominated mixed reef. Previous 90 gallon mixed reef TOTM April 2009.
seapug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/10/2008, 06:04 PM   #5
msu spartan
Registered Member

well i wont know if its fully cured

Current Tank Info: since december 1st 2007
msu spartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/10/2008, 06:07 PM   #6
stevelkaneval
Registered Member

just smell the rock if it smells dead or like deacay its not cured it should smell like the ocean or fresh seafood.

"You fail me yet again Star Scream, get them."

Current Tank Info: 20 long,korilia 1,and small ph,aquaclear70 moded fuge,coralife pc's,aqualight flouresent,seaclone skimmer,35lbs lr,green mushrooms and red and blue,and dragon eye zoas,assorted hermit crabs,nassarius snails,turbo snail,
stevelkaneval is offline   Reply With Quote