Reef Central Online Community
Neptune Systems

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 01/01/2008, 04:47 PM   #1
HDE2008
Registered Member

Stocking Questions

I'm setting up my first ever reef tank (210G) and am planning for mostly LPS and anemones. For my fish list I've put together the following plan and am hoping for some feedback as to order and compatability.

One Fridmani Pseudochromis (wife's pick)
Two Clarkii Clownfish
One Yellowstrip Maroon Clown
Four Spotted Cardinal Fish
Two Green Mandarin (male and female)
One foxface Lo
One Flame Hawkfish
One Orangeshoulder Tang
One Blue Tang
One Naso Tang
One Sailfin Tang
One Powderblue Tang
One Kole Yellow Eye Tang

HDE2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/01/2008, 04:57 PM   #2
zotzer
Registered Member

Can't tell you much about all of the tangs, but I don't think that mixing clownfish is a great idea....you may want to check on the clownfish forum.

Oh, and you may want to add a cool algae blenny to the list. My favorite fish!!

Have fun! What a great size for a "first" tank!!

tracy

zotzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/01/2008, 05:07 PM   #3
harryk
Registered Member

probably too many tangs in a 210. Most of them can grow to at least 1' in length and they can be very aggressive, especially conspecifics (same shape). How about adding maybe a dwarf angel. And I also agree about the clowns. I think the maroons are the most agressive ones.

Harry

harryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/01/2008, 09:39 PM   #4
ILoveReefer
Premium Member

Way Way to many tangs. Your tank is sure to be a war zone if you try this. Most tangs don't get along and many get very large. Heres a good link for tangs here on RC http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...hreadid=739380 You probably could get away with a few clowns in a 210g. And I would research every fish because some like the foxface lo can be very distructive to coral mostly to LPS and softies.

ILoveReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/02/2008, 12:20 AM   #5
Rick55555
Registered Member

Mixing clownfish is a risky endeavor in my opinion. Maroon clowns tend to be aggressive. Mixing several tangs (especially those with similar body shapes) can be difficult but is definitely possible. The only concern here regarding the tangs is the size; they get huge!

As for the mandarins, you should probably wait until your pod population is established.

Good luck!

Rick55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/02/2008, 12:36 AM   #6
Silverfin
Registered Member

Drop the three of those tangs and pick those that will get along as ILoveReefer said, pick one or the other species of clowns, and your list is set....
I'm not sure about the mandarins with the Hawkfish though....

Current Tank Info: Family 210gal reef, 30gal frag,
Silverfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/02/2008, 12:39 AM   #7
Silverfin
Registered Member

Just to add, my Dad has a 210g with a Sohal, Sailfin, Powder brown, Regal, and Yellow tang. They all get along quite well.

Current Tank Info: Family 210gal reef, 30gal frag,
Silverfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/02/2008, 12:43 AM   #8
FinalPhaze987
NaCl Junkie

The orange shoulder, Naso, and blue tang might not get along too smoothly...too close in body shape...im not saying its impossible because i have seen it done...the Kole tang wont get as big as the rest youve listed...i have 1 in my tank right now along with a blue tang..the sailfin is one of the most peacefull ones you have on there..powder blues IME are pretty hard to keep...probobly not a good idea for a first fish..

I agree with everyone else saying not to mix clown species..maroons are pretty agressive, clarkis as well..

Make sure you have a sufficient food supply for the mandarin...plenty of live rock, a fuge, and a well established tank with good param. help...id hold off till the tank is a little more mature...unless you can get a pair that feeds on frozen foods, but its kinda hit or miss..

As for anemoneS... some people try not to put more than one species in the same tank...alot of chemical warfare goes on unseen..be carefull on your choice as well..ive had one take out a couple LPS when it decided to go on a stroll around the tank...make sure you can accomodate their needs, as they are from a different part of the reef as most LPS..

Other than that everything is cool....hope this helps..

FinalPhaze987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/02/2008, 11:00 AM   #9
HDE2008
Registered Member

Thanks for all the feedback, I really appreciate it. Regarding Anemones and LPS, would you recommend the anemones go in first so they can find their spot and then put the LPS in after they're settled?

HDE2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/02/2008, 07:44 PM   #10
ILoveReefer
Premium Member

Ya, that sounds like a good idea. Anemones can be pretty picky about there location. I'd let him find a good home before adding LPS.

ILoveReefer is offline   Reply With Quote