Reef Central Online Community
Blue Zoo Aquatics

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Old 04/03/2008, 01:37 PM   #901
ooja3k
The Reef Producer

Well the mesh mod worked great!! I ended up only being able to use 2 layers of 7020. 3 was too loud and required too much trimming...

Im still having a problem with the venturi though. It seems to want to get salt build up in there, restricting the airflow, and eventually overflowing the collection cup.

I have drilled out the hole to make it larger, lengthened the tubing to get it out of the direct sump area...

But nothing seems to work.

Any thoughts?

PBITAWA
Old 04/03/2008, 01:51 PM   #902
hansmatt
Registered Member

I take a cup of boiling (or at least super-hot) RO water and let the air intake suck it down. I try to do this every week or two, and it makes a huge difference by dissolving the salt buildup.

Old 04/03/2008, 02:05 PM   #903
ooja3k
The Reef Producer

I do that exactly.. But im having to do it almost daily...

PBITAWA
Old 04/04/2008, 12:14 PM   #904
maxdout
Registered Member

hey guys, i got a used er rs135. I was wondering how high the water in your sumps should be for this bad boy? any info would be great. I'm currenlty trying to put the baffels together. any info would be greatly appriacated. thanks

Current Tank Info: 90 everything
Old 04/05/2008, 08:50 AM   #905
Wayner2
Registered Member

6 - 7 inches

Old 04/05/2008, 10:42 AM   #906
printedpaper
Registered Member

I bought a used CS 6-3 that I'm trying to get going to replace my CS 80. I have the CS 6-3 running in a rubbermaid container now but I've noticed lots of micro bubbles coming out of the riser tube. I'm using the foam filters that came with it. I don't get any from my CS-80. What can I do to fix this? I've noticed the PVC at the bottom of the reaction chamber is differant from the CS 80. The CS 6-3 has a piece of PVC across the bottom of the reaction chamber with the bottom part cut open instead of the 90 degree elbow the CS 80 has. Anyone have any ideas how I can get rid of the bubbles?

Old 04/05/2008, 11:35 AM   #907
danceswithfish
Registered Member

I am pretty sure the dirrections say 6-8 inches. Why 6-7 inches for the water level?

Old 04/05/2008, 04:57 PM   #908
markandkristen
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by printedpaper
I bought a used CS 6-3 that I'm trying to get going to replace my CS 80. I have the CS 6-3 running in a rubbermaid container now but I've noticed lots of micro bubbles coming out of the riser tube. I'm using the foam filters that came with it. I don't get any from my CS-80. What can I do to fix this? I've noticed the PVC at the bottom of the reaction chamber is differant from the CS 80. The CS 6-3 has a piece of PVC across the bottom of the reaction chamber with the bottom part cut open instead of the 90 degree elbow the CS 80 has. Anyone have any ideas how I can get rid of the bubbles?
i would wait it out unless its been running for a couple of weeks.. you can also put a filter sock on the output untill it breaks in.

Old 04/06/2008, 12:43 PM   #909
danceswithfish
Registered Member

How do you guys clean your skimmers and how often do you clean them?

Old 04/07/2008, 05:15 AM   #910
melev
Moved On

I clean the collection cup and neck daily in the sink. I rinse it under cold water, wiping away the skimmate with my hand.

maxdout - 6" to 8" /or/ 9" if you want to put a small stand under it to lift it up to the proper depth.

printedpaper - out of what riser tube?

ooja3k - odds are you didn't get it completely cleaned out. Using a bright light to really see, check the venturi to make sure you can see through it completely. If you have a major salt or calcified obstruction, a pinhole will clog quickly compared to a nice clean venturi.

Old 04/07/2008, 09:33 AM   #911
HookedOnReefing
Premium Member

I clean my skimmer cups and necks every other day when I'm home. But when I'm on a flying trip, a week can go by without cleaning them.

I run hot water though the venturi every 2 weeks or so and clean the body and pump every 3 months.

Old 04/07/2008, 10:18 AM   #912
printedpaper
Registered Member

Melev, yes they are comming up the riser tube. Also A very large bubble will come out of the riser tube as well maybe 2-3 times a minute

Old 04/07/2008, 11:16 AM   #913
alanmorehead
Registered Member

Do you guys have any tips on quieting my EuroReef RS 250?

It is sitting in a glass aquarium and I get a lot of vibration noise. It's an in-wall setup, but it's still pretty loud on the other side. I was thinking about something like a rubber pad or foam that I can lay on the bottom for it to sit on.

I purchased it from Aquacave in June 2007. Have there been any replacement impellers made by chance? (This was an issue w/ my RS80)

Old 04/07/2008, 11:58 AM   #914
russ49merc
Registered Member

Part of the Club

I became part of the Euro Reef club on sunday I won the euro reef cs6-8 at MAX man i'm so excited about it. I put it on my 120. kickin some major butt it has a eheim 1262 pump on it man it works soo good. I don't really want to do anything to it but is there any tricks or mods to make it work better than it already does.

Old 04/07/2008, 01:01 PM   #915
melev
Moved On

Quote:
Melev, yes they are comming up the riser tube. Also A very large bubble will come out of the riser tube as well maybe 2-3 times a minute
I think I'd have to see a picture of the spot you are talking about, because I may be thinking of something else entirely. Plus since some models are newer than others, again my suggestions may not apply. Sorry.

Old 04/07/2008, 01:02 PM   #916
melev
Moved On

Re: Part of the Club

Quote:
Originally posted by russ49merc
I became part of the Euro Reef club on sunday I won the euro reef cs6-8 at MAX man i'm so excited about it. I put it on my 120. kickin some major butt it has a eheim 1262 pump on it man it works soo good. I don't really want to do anything to it but is there any tricks or mods to make it work better than it already does.

The CS6-8? Let's see pictures! That's a good pump, I've heard.

Old 04/07/2008, 01:18 PM   #917
russ49merc
Registered Member

I will get pictures tonight. I was too busy staring at it and grinning from ear to ear.

so am i correct in saying that it is really new to the market?

Old 04/07/2008, 01:37 PM   #918
melev
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by alanmorehead
Do you guys have any tips on quieting my EuroReef RS 250?

It is sitting in a glass aquarium and I get a lot of vibration noise. It's an in-wall setup, but it's still pretty loud on the other side. I was thinking about something like a rubber pad or foam that I can lay on the bottom for it to sit on.

I purchased it from Aquacave in June 2007. Have there been any replacement impellers made by chance? (This was an issue w/ my RS80)
You can glue on some small rubber feet, available at Home Depot. You could make silicone feet by squeezing some out on wax paper and allow them to cure for a day or two. You might even be able to use that new rubber cookware they swear you can bake in, which also comes in pot-holder shapes. I would probably soak that in vinegar and water overnight to get rid of any oils from manufacturing.

Old 04/07/2008, 02:58 PM   #919
russ49merc
Registered Member

Re: Re: Part of the Club

Quote:
Originally posted by melev
The CS6-8? Let's see pictures! That's a good pump, I've heard.
Hey i just confirmed it with jeff from euro-reef this is the newest release and i'm the first one to get it. I will post some pictures of it tomorrow

Old 04/07/2008, 06:48 PM   #920
printedpaper
Registered Member

Marc it's the output pipe, sorry for the confusion. When a large bubble comes up its kind of like a big burp. The needle wheel has some needles missing, could that have something to do with the "burp"? It does not have any mods as far as I can tell. Mark

Old 04/07/2008, 06:54 PM   #921
o0jmadr0x0o
Registered Member

what is the deal with restricting air flow? when i have the restrictor removed it appears like there are less bubbles as compared to when the restrictor is 3/4 closed. but i was under the impression that the more air a skimmers pump pulls in the better.

no air restriction

75% closed

could it be because there is less air being pulled in, the pump is pulling more water creating allot of turbulence in the body of the skimmer and causing the bubbles to go towards the bottom of the skimmer ?
what is the suggest application of the restrictor?

Current Tank Info: 75g
Old 04/07/2008, 06:57 PM   #922
ooja3k
The Reef Producer

you are exactly right about the increased water flow and the turbulence within the skimmer body.

i have been under the impression that the air valve is rarely needed, and it should be ran completely open.

also, i have been under the impression that more air and less turbulence is better.

i'd like to hear what someone else says on the matter.

PBITAWA
Old 04/07/2008, 07:06 PM   #923
melev
Moved On

Quote:
Marc it's the output pipe, sorry for the confusion. When a large bubble comes up its kind of like a big burp. The needle wheel has some needles missing, could that have something to do with the "burp"? It does not have any mods as far as I can tell. Mark
If this is a brand new skimmer, it does take time to get a slime coat to settle down.

If it isn't in the proper depth, that can affect output.

Just two things that come to mind.

Old 04/07/2008, 07:08 PM   #924
melev
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by o0jmadr0x0o
what is the deal with restricting air flow? when i have the restrictor removed it appears like there are less bubbles as compared to when the restrictor is 3/4 closed. but i was under the impression that the more air a skimmers pump pulls in the better.

no air restriction

75% closed

could it be because there is less air being pulled in, the pump is pulling more water creating allot of turbulence in the body of the skimmer and causing the bubbles to go towards the bottom of the skimmer ?
what is the suggest application of the restrictor?
My neck hurts now.

By restricting the valve, the pump sucks in the air a little harder I think. Basically, go with what works best for you. In my case, I never had restrictors and I have skimmer full of white bubbles. That is how I'd like mine to be. The more bubbles, the more contact with water, the more likely waste will be extracted.

Old 04/07/2008, 07:23 PM   #925
printedpaper
Registered Member

It is a used skimmer and it was not cleaned when I bought it. I also tried several differant depths of water. Nothing I've tried seems to help.

Closed Thread