Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Old 03/06/2008, 04:29 PM   #901
twon8
Formally registered membe

Quote:
Originally posted by dyvaeh
The yellow was the only aggressive one, and as I said, we gave him away. The other 4 tangs are from different families and get along wonderfully. I guess I should clarify that we currently have the Hippo, Powder Blue, Naso, and Tomini. The yellow was too big and aggressive, so we gave him away after he had a run-in with the Powder Brown tang.

The Naso is fat and happy. That picture was taken the day after we got him and the angle makes him look scrawny, but he was very healthy from the beginning.

I think the questions are valid. My husband loves tangs and we did quite a bit of research (and obviously had some set backs), while searching for our tang "colletion". As far as I can see, as long as the tangs are small when introduced into the tank and you don't have tangs from the same families all should go well.
they may be fine now when they are small, but as they grow/age aggression will surface. powder blue's are not easy fish to keep, and all the other tangs competing for food will add to the fish's stress. A 120 is just too small for a naso long term. They grow large quickly.

I've got a naso in a 180 and know that he will outgrow that in a few short years or less

Also if your husband did quite a bit of research it couldn't have come as a shock that a larger tang killed a smaller one when you have 6 tangs in a 120.

I hope you have plans for a larger tank in the near future

Not building a wall but making a brick

Current Tank Info: 300g DD display, 60g frag tank
Old 03/06/2008, 06:41 PM   #902
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
The yellow was the only aggressive one, and as I said, we gave him away. The other 4 tangs are from different families and get along wonderfully. I guess I should clarify that we currently have the Hippo, Powder Blue, Naso, and Tomini. The yellow was too big and aggressive, so we gave him away after he had a run-in with the Powder Brown tang.

The Naso is fat and happy. That picture was taken the day after we got him and the angle makes him look scrawny, but he was very healthy from the beginning.

I think the questions are valid. My husband loves tangs and we did quite a bit of research (and obviously had some set backs), while searching for our tang "colletion". As far as I can see, as long as the tangs are small when introduced into the tank and you don't have tangs from the same families all should go well.
thanks for replying--having a similar size tank and my tang numbers getting up there, I am very interested.
My yellow tang is a chicken has he is yellow I guess I am fortunate.

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
Old 03/06/2008, 06:43 PM   #903
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by m2434

75g
Yellow Tang
I've had 6yrs, probably much older.
~5-6in
I just bought a fox face and it is still in quarantine. Obviously they get along with the tangs--which was going to be my question??

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
Old 03/06/2008, 07:38 PM   #904
chwcdw
Registered Member

Here's my sailfin. Great Fish!

Current Tank Info: 90 Gallon AGA RR, 25 Gallon sump/refugium; and a 22gal Oceanic Cube
Old 03/06/2008, 08:38 PM   #905
dyvaeh
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by twon8
they may be fine now when they are small, but as they grow/age aggression will surface. powder blue's are not easy fish to keep, and all the other tangs competing for food will add to the fish's stress. A 120 is just too small for a naso long term. They grow large quickly.

I've got a naso in a 180 and know that he will outgrow that in a few short years or less

Also if your husband did quite a bit of research it couldn't have come as a shock that a larger tang killed a smaller one when you have 6 tangs in a 120.

I hope you have plans for a larger tank in the near future
I only posted the tangs that we have had because I thought that was what this thread was all about...appreciation of beautiful tangs. I guess I was mistaken, so now I am defending myself:

Actually, we had ONLY the yellow and hippo together for 2 years. They got along fine. It was when we added the Powder Brown that we saw the aggression from the Yellow. He was larger and very territorial.

I guess I need to stress that we NEVER had 6 tangs together. Perhaps you should read my entire post before chastising us. The Powder Blue has been easy to keep, despite some people's experiences. We were able to add the naso & Powder at the same time and everyone is happy. Our largest fish is 4", so the current setup works for now, but we are upgrading to a 280 gallon later this year.

I am tired of defending myself, so PLEASE no more comments/accusations about our choices.

Old 03/06/2008, 08:51 PM   #906
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chwcdw
Here's my sailfin. Great Fish!

colouring is fantastic--are you adding anything for colouration
eg Vita-min

Old 03/06/2008, 08:57 PM   #907
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
I only posted the tangs that we have had because I thought that was what this thread was all about...appreciation of beautiful tangs. I guess I was mistaken, so now I am defending myself:

Actually, we had ONLY the yellow and hippo together for 2 years. They got along fine. It was when we added the Powder Brown that we saw the aggression from the Yellow. He was larger and very territorial.

I guess I need to stress that we NEVER had 6 tangs together. Perhaps you should read my entire post before chastising us. The Powder Blue has been easy to keep, despite some people's experiences. We were able to add the naso & Powder at the same time and everyone is happy. Our largest fish is 4", so the current setup works for now, but we are upgrading to a 280 gallon later this year.

I am tired of defending myself, so PLEASE no more comments/accusations about our choices.
you are right---don't nibble on the bait

Old 03/06/2008, 10:52 PM   #908
32flavors
Registered Member

C'mon guys... this is a pic thread. We all know the textbook on Tangs... and frankly it's a little conservative. If a fish is healthy and not getting sick--live and let live....

"Inside of me there are 2 dogs. 1 of the dogs is mean & evil. The other is good. The mean dog fights the good dog all the time." "Which dog wins?" "The one I feed the most." Native Amer

Current Tank Info: Have had several- nano, 25, 65 & 75. Currently have Evo 13.5 and 40B, both mixed reefs.
Old 03/07/2008, 04:38 AM   #909
Reeftanks6
Registered Member

Very nice sailfin looks great.

Current Tank Info: 110 Gallon Reef
Old 03/07/2008, 06:21 AM   #910
mcrist
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 32flavors
C'mon guys... this is a pic thread. We all know the textbook on Tangs... and frankly it's a little conservative. If a fish is healthy and not getting sick--live and let live....
I disagree with your comment that the textbook tank size for tangs is a little conservative but I do agree with you that if the tang is healthy than keep up the good work.

I love tangs and I want to see more great pictures.

Current Tank Info: 450 Gallon Peninsula
Old 03/07/2008, 06:47 AM   #911
martinphillip03
Registered Member

Nice seugway. I agree with the new collection laws. You have to perserve the wild. And allow people 100 years from now have fish available to them. Fish may be more expensive. But by god whan you buy them you will do everything to keep them alive

Marty

Quote:
Originally posted by kar93
Thanks Scott and Marty.
So what does everybody think of the new collection law in Hawai?

Old 03/07/2008, 06:51 AM   #912
Neptune777
Premium Member

Love my Tangs!

Here are some shots of my guys enjoying their new found freedom from QT:

Old 03/07/2008, 06:51 AM   #913
martinphillip03
Registered Member

The other 4 tangs are from different families and get along wonderfully.

and you don't have tangs from the same families all should go well. [/B][/QUOTE]

Could you explain this more. I am still learning about tangs

Marty

Old 03/07/2008, 06:51 AM   #914
FFrankie
Registered Member

Great pictures everyone! That was the topic if i remember. I was so hoping someone had a gem tang out there to share......

Old 03/07/2008, 06:57 AM   #915
mcrist
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by martinphillip03

and you don't have tangs from the same families all should go well.

Marty
Tangs of the same family have a similar body style / shape that cause the aggression between the fish. Tangs do not like other fish that resemble themselves.

Old 03/07/2008, 06:58 AM   #916
martinphillip03
Registered Member

Re: Love my Tangs!

Excellent rock work. I see a yellow, PB, what is the other?
Marty

Quote:
Originally posted by Neptune777
Here are some shots of my guys enjoying their new found freedom from QT:

Old 03/07/2008, 06:59 AM   #917
martinphillip03
Registered Member

Re: Re: Love my Tangs!

Quote:
Excellent rock work.

Marty
Also could you briefly tell me your QT setup.

Old 03/07/2008, 07:00 AM   #918
martinphillip03
Registered Member

Almost Two pages to go

Marty

Old 03/07/2008, 07:00 AM   #919
mcrist
Premium Member

I love the face in the rockwork...

Old 03/07/2008, 07:02 AM   #920
Neptune777
Premium Member

Quote:

and you don't have tangs from the same families all should go well.

Marty [/B][/QUOTE]

Basically unless you introduce members from the same family into a new system together (at the same time) you will most likely run into some serious territoriality issues and the newest fish will get beat-on or killed. By introducing simultaneously neither has defined a territory that they feel compelled to protect....even this is risky and not recommended unless you are willing to house one of the fish in another system if all goes wrong.

My Achilles and PBT get along very well in my system after following the guidelines I described above.

A trick to help with aggression for new fish introductions that I have used and work very well:
Use a mirror against the glass and all the tangs will try to fight their own image rather than each other....works like a charm.

Old 03/07/2008, 07:05 AM   #921
Neptune777
Premium Member

Re: Re: Love my Tangs!

Quote:
Excellent rock work. I see a yellow, PB, what is the other?
Marty

Thanks. The Tangs are Yellow Scopas, Chevron, Naso, Powder Blue, Achilles.

Old 03/07/2008, 07:09 AM   #922
Neptune777
Premium Member

Re: Re: Re: Love my Tangs!

Quote:
Also could you briefly tell me your QT setup.

Thanks,
My QT lasted about 8 weeks. BB tank with ABS pipe fittings for shelter. Each fish had Formalin baths, Prazipro treatments, Hypo and then 2 weeks of copper. The copper was used because I had a strain of Ich that came back after 6wks of hypo. I did very heavy water changes every 3 days till the QT process was finished. I also fed the fish anti-parasitic deworming fish food to kill internal intestinal parasites.

Old 03/07/2008, 09:12 AM   #923
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Love my Tangs!

Quote:
Thanks,
My QT lasted about 8 weeks. BB tank with ABS pipe fittings for shelter. Each fish had Formalin baths, Prazipro treatments, Hypo and then 2 weeks of copper. The copper was used because I had a strain of Ich that came back after 6wks of hypo. I did very heavy water changes every 3 days till the QT process was finished. I also fed the fish anti-parasitic deworming fish food to kill internal intestinal parasites.
great qt processes--interesting that ich came back after six weeks--that's usually cited as the safe point.

Old 03/07/2008, 09:19 AM   #924
martinphillip03
Registered Member

Re: Re: Re: Love my Tangs!

Have their been pictures of Chevron tangs?

Marty

Quote:
Thanks. The Tangs are Yellow Scopas, Chevron, Naso, Powder Blue, Achilles.

Old 03/07/2008, 09:39 AM   #925
FFrankie
Registered Member

Awe man! that is some cool rock work neptune777! Did you make it yourself? I see the tangs like it also.

Closed Thread