Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 11/09/2008, 05:45 PM   #1
satjosh
Registered Member

Talking bio cube 29 ideas,help excited

Alriight very happy... i just got my biocube 29 with a little help from my girlfriend ....

soo i was looking are there any modifcations, ideas, water changing ideas (so far i'm doing B-ionic and magnesium additive if the magnesium does goes down or my caclium and alk start going crazy and hoping my water changes will be good enough for the other elements any ideas on what kind of reef salt?), just anything involving with the biocube 29....
*note this is also my first nano tank*

soo far i have the cpr sr3 skimmer, flo deflector for the return pump i will put pics once i start putting it together i still have school and i can't find the time to put it together cause i'm taking down my 60 gal reef tank and well want to go nano.... nothing won't be set up till maybe december... soo i'm trying to get as much info as possible

soo let me start again what i have
-CPR SR3 skimmer
-flo wave deflector for return
-hang on refuguim which will hopefully fit from the 1st chamber into the 3rd chamber *crossing fingers*

livestock
-fish (3 fishes max)
mandarin (if refugium works well)
red hawk fish (if refugium does not work)
dwarf angel..(any ideas)
goby (any ideas hoping to team up with one of the shrimp know any goby that will work with the shrimp i have below)
-inverts (this is all)
peppermint, skunk cleaner, sexy, and pair of harlequin, couple snail and hermits(ideas on which ones?)
-coral
mushrooms (various kinds)
Polyps (various kinds)
Frog spawning
branching bubble (i think its called)
xenia (ideas)
(any other ideas i'm going for easy ones first)

please let me know of any other ideas, whats wrong with my ideas, my live stock combination? thank you

*side note i'm feeding the harlequin chip stars thank you they are 9.99 at my star....thinking 1 every other week? sounds good

thanks guys i love this site an this hobby....
god bless and i can't wait to set up

satjosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/09/2008, 05:46 PM   #2
satjosh
Registered Member

sorry... LOTS of help from my girlfirend

Old 11/09/2008, 09:01 PM   #3
Moonstream
Registered Member

livestock
-fish (3 fishes max)
mandarin- will most likely starve

flame hawk fish- will likely eat shrimp

dwarf angel- could work, but might nip at coral (especially fleshy LPS) my rusty was great, one of my favorite fish, but was removed due to aggression towards my genicanthus sp. angel. I would stick to safer angels like flames, coral beauties, cherub fish, ect (note they can and often will nip, but they are less likely to then others like lemon peel angels)

goby- note of the shrimp listed will pair with a goby. you need a pistol shrimp sp, most will pair with a tiger and some might pair with a candycane/randalls.

-inverts (this is all)
peppermint shrimp- very shy, not often seen

skunk cleaner- great choice, find a bigger one and add before the hawk

sexy shrimp- will definetly get eaten by the hawk, IMO

pair of harlequin shrimp- as long s you feed the stars every week or so they should be fine, IMO, but watch them with the hawk

couple snail and hermits- I would go with 4 astrea snails for algae, 6 nass. snails for detritus, and 6 blue leg hermits

-coral
mushrooms- good choice
Polyps- good choice
Frog spawn- good choice, but they dont like temp swings (I learned that the hard way)
branching bubble- not coral by this name, you might mean a branching hammer or maybe a normal bubble coral...
xenia- careful or it might take over your tank
other good ones are softies like leathers.

for salt mix, I would go for either instant ocean or tropic marine, these two are pretty good, IME.

Moonstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/09/2008, 09:54 PM   #4
satjosh
Registered Member

*note = ok

livestock
i was thinking about the starvation that thats why if and only if the refugium does work... properly i would put the mandarin and culture copepods with using refugium mud, hoping the other fish won't eat them and the it's only either mandarin or hawk soo no compotition for food...

hawk fish really inverts huh..... i guess hawk fish is out of the question

angels... i just looked at the pics i'll be getting the flame angel, are they carnivore, or herbivore? i'm just hoping they won't compete with the mandarin..copepods

No more goby then
-inverts
peppermint is ok hiding just hoping they would eat aiptasia in case, and what else do they eat soo they wont starve
sexy shrimp is ok then
skunk is ok too
herlequin is also ok
basic clean crew but is that enough for a 29 gal biocube?
-corals
all i'm just going for easy first and lots of color mixes and movement
mushroom, polyps for color
xenia, and branching... haha for movement maybe not so much for branching
and frog spawn for combo...

thx for the ideas.... the mandarin would be ok right? if refugium works?

if there is anything wrong with that combo of live stock please let me know.

*everything still same as original post except; no hawk fish, mandarin if no competition for copepods, flame angel.. again what do flame angels eat hoping not to compete with mandarin.

thank you
instant ocean? u mean the reef version right?

Old 11/11/2008, 04:52 PM   #5
satjosh
Registered Member

alright i was wondering for people who own the biocube 29 and know well how the chambers works?

ok i have a refugium connected on the back (a hang on fuge) from cpr and it fits perfectly taking water from the first chamber and then shoot the water out onto the 2nd chamber towards the left end and falls perfectly onto the biobale of the cpr sr3 if you have the skimmer cup on the right side soory no pictures yet... so if you can picture it.

would the water flow work, b/c there is a pump on the first chamber and i am thinking of puting a heater on the first chamber, b/c i was tempted putting the heater into the skimmer haha but that would mess up the water flow.... thank you what do you think guys i will have my pics soon cause i didn't see people do this yet,

i wanted both fuge and skimmer but only had the middle chamber... soo i'm hoping this would work

thank you

Old 11/11/2008, 05:53 PM   #6
2_zoa
Registered Member

I can't picture it but I am not the brightest bulb around anyway.

I scraped the paint off the back and removed the bio balls and added a light and some cheato. simple fuge built in. I can not take credit for this idea as I saw on here in another thread.

2_zoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/11/2008, 06:08 PM   #7
satjosh
Registered Member

yeah i saw that and i liked the idea very creative, but i wanted a good fuge, and a good skimmer, but i can't have both unless i use the biocube skimmer.... which well yeah....
soo anyway i have the sr3 skimmer which is awesome and umm a i think around 5-8 gal hang un fuge just keep checking it my post my pictures will be up,

thank you

Old 11/11/2008, 06:18 PM   #8
kenngai78
Registered Member

I think your idea can be done

kenngai78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/15/2008, 01:43 PM   #9
satjosh
Registered Member

ok i have probelsm already haha and i'm pretty sute it's a common one i'm using the sr3 skimmer... but the tiny bubbles are going everywhere it' only been running for about an hour.. so i dont know micro bubbles in the back chambers and in the main tank i set it up soo the collection cup is on the left side if you were facing the biocube? any help.... i have my refugium set up too like i said will post pic in a minute i was just more concern for the bubbles thank you

Old 11/15/2008, 02:10 PM   #10
satjosh
Registered Member

ok here is my idea i everything fits nicely and works together... but the problem is the micro bubbles... any ideas been runnning for about an hour and my tank is brand new cycling about a day... just wanted to know how do i stop the bubbles.. cause they are in my refugium, back chambers, and all over the main tank.... and i am getting disappointed.... thank you

Old 11/15/2008, 02:11 PM   #11
satjosh
Registered Member

pic

Old 11/15/2008, 02:12 PM   #12
satjosh
Registered Member

Old 11/15/2008, 02:14 PM   #13
satjosh
Registered Member

sorry keep re posting .. now i know how to post a pic.. omg...

so as you can see the back chamber the refugium takes water from the 2nd chamber into the 3rd chamber luckily the 2nd and 3rd chamber.. are really connected soo it's as if it was taking it from the same chamber which helps a lot .. i dont know if i said it right thanks though and i also have the sr3 skimmer... perfecto.. well bubbles..

so now for the micro bubbles... i heard maybe a couple of days for it to break in?? does that sound right

Old 11/15/2008, 08:43 PM   #14
BurninReefer
Registered Member

Satjosh,
I just recently added a flame angel to my 29g bc and he has been a great addition to my tank! Make sure to have plenty of established live rock as they constantly graze and enjoy the added security of hiding spaces. Also, I've heard they can sometimes terrorize others, but mine has gotten along with my clown and lawnmower great! I'm also interested in how your fuge is set up as I'm in comtemplating creating an external fuge as well and like how yours seems to be hanging from the back. Good luck!

BurninReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/15/2008, 09:51 PM   #15
satjosh
Registered Member

ok well the fuge i'm using is a cpr hang on fuge it is 2.5 gallons
http://www.cpraquatic.com/products/aquafuge.html
i like the external fuge b/c i can utilize the 2nd chamber for a good skimmer not the biocube stock one

as for the skimmer i think i'll prolly be returning the sr3 and get the tunze 9002 b/c of the micro bubbles
oh and i almost forgot if you do the external fuge you sude follow mine and take it from the 2nd chamber and drop into the 3rd chamber b/c they are connected. and lastly your going to need to carve the hood if your going to keep it very simple just outline where intake/outake of the hang on fuge and i used a hot knife to cut plastic with ease reply back if you have any questions

Old 11/15/2008, 10:03 PM   #16
2_zoa
Registered Member

This is just my opinion here.......I would find a way to make the HOB fug draw from chamber one and dump back into the display. Then you would increase surface skimming and gain the use of the power head in the overall flow of the tank.

Old 11/15/2008, 10:21 PM   #17
satjosh
Registered Member

you know i had that idea and my idea and same concern and my answer is that i detached the power head of the fuge and place it in the 1st chamber b/c there is a divider so the power head rests easily and have a plastic tube run from the power head to the intake of the fug what do u think of that?

i didn't try it yet, but i think it should work with my previous exp in.. i guess this kind of stuff

Old 11/15/2008, 10:37 PM   #18
2_zoa
Registered Member

I think that would work but if you don't move the return of the fug to the display then you don't gain anything from the change.

Old 11/16/2008, 02:56 AM   #19
satjosh
Registered Member

really, but if it returns in the 3rd chamber to get pumped right out?

i'm guessing.....i can put a return valve, but it would have to be customize... any ideas i was studying the set up and there is a small space that would allow to hose it back into the main tank, do you have a biocube 29 so you know what i'm talking about