Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 03/02/2008, 03:32 PM   #1
phillkg
Registered Member

kole and yellow tang

added a kole tang to my established 120g tank, now my yellow tang wont leave him alone, any suggestions.

phillkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/02/2008, 03:35 PM   #2
kar93
Registered Member

i would take the kole back, yellows are very territorial tangs. I think the yellow may eventually kill the kole.

kar93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/02/2008, 03:55 PM   #3
phillkg
Registered Member

wont be able to catch him without tearing the tank apart.

phillkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/02/2008, 04:03 PM   #4
kar93
Registered Member

unless you put egg crate in the middle of the tank to seperate them for a couple of weeks. Ive heard this works.

kar93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/02/2008, 04:10 PM   #5
nick063
Registered Member

you could try putting a small mirror on the side of the tank, distracting the yellow to allow the kole to acclimate

nick063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/02/2008, 06:36 PM   #6
dmack
Registered Member

I had a yellow and kole together. They were aggressive toward on another for a while. But after a couple of weeks, they just ignored each other.

dmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/02/2008, 08:08 PM   #7
tbar
Registered Member

If you could get something to hold your water in to drain like 2/3 of it he would be not as hard to catch. Then put him in the sump for a few days for some additude adjustment.

Current Tank Info: 33L, Two 36" 24 watt Marineland LED's, Tunze 9002 Skimmer, 2 Koralia 1's, pico hob filter for carbon.
tbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/02/2008, 08:30 PM   #8
tufacody
Registered Member

I seriously doubt you can "punish" a fish by throwing it in the sump. If anything you just weaken its health, making it susceptible to disease.

tufacody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/02/2008, 08:33 PM   #9
austinvanover
Registered Member

Yellow tangs are pretty mean, the only suggestion I have other than taking the kole back is change up the rock work to re-establish territories

austinvanover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/03/2008, 09:08 AM   #10
neepsync
Registered Member

I have two tangs that didn't get along too well at first. I pulled both out of the display and put them in separate tanks for a week and then reintroduced them into the main tank at the same time and have not had any problems since.

neepsync is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/03/2008, 10:02 AM   #11
Craig Lambert
Premium Member

phillkg,

You can catch him without tearing the tank apart. Know where he sleeps. Go to the tank in the very early morning while it's dark. Turn on all the room and tank lights at the same time. He will be blinded temporarily, and you will have the upper hand for a minute or so. Position the net in front of him and poke him from behind with a turkey baster. He will swim forward. If you miss him, keep after it. He'll be unable to see the net very well for a minute or so. I caught a 5" tang on the first try with this methood.

Current Tank Info: 75G Tank, 29G Sump, 100lbs LR, AquaC EV-180, Iwaki MD-20RT return Tunze nano streams 4X54 t-5/Icecap Ballast & SLR's 2x110 vho actinic
Craig Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote