Reef Central Online Community
Marine Depot

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 12/17/2007, 09:51 AM   #1
newreef06
Registered Member

getting rid of hair algea

I have aome hair algea growing in my tank. Whats the best way to get rid of it. All my water perameters are where they should be. I had a outbreak because i moved the tank and stirred up some nitrates. Plus i have a MH light some that adds to the problem

SCott

newreef06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/17/2007, 10:00 AM   #2
stingythingy45
Registered Member

A lot of hobbiest are moving towards running phosphate reactors.
I plan on doing this when I drum up a little extra money.
If you're skimming you could crank it up and skim wet.
Or run some type of a phosphate removal pad in an HOB filter.

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon,mixed Reef,2-250 watt Optix 3 pendants(Phoenix 14K)2-54 watt T5 Super actnics ,ASM G-2 Gate/recirc mods,70 gal. basement sump,20L ref
stingythingy45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/17/2007, 11:06 AM   #3
Blown 346
Registered Member

You have to figure out what the alge is being fueled or growing from. Nitrate its one, also how much you feed, how often and what type of food. Also how often you do water chnage and if you keep up with the tank. Skimmers help remove alot of organics and excess proteins, I dont know if you have one, if you dont you will have to make up for it with water chages.

Blown 346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/17/2007, 11:17 AM   #4
Shroomz
Registered Member

You might consider adding a refugeum with macro algea, it should outcompete the hair algea and hopefully snuff it out. Also cutting back the lighting (don't know ur coral situation), minimal feeding, weekly water changes and sand bed siphoning, also very important is the water flow. You should have enough to keep sediment from settling on the rock, the more the better (flow).

Blown 346: Are you by any chance an LS1 junkie?

Shroomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/17/2007, 11:21 AM   #5
Blown 346
Registered Member

Yes, I have 2 LS1's and a LS6

Blown 346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/17/2007, 12:22 PM   #6
mg426
Registered Member

Phosphate reduction/ removal is most likely the answer. Get a refugium with Macro algae and invest in a phosphate reactor.

Current Tank Info: 125 mixed reef 110 lbs LR, 1x250watt XM 20K MH 2x175watt XM 20K MH on Magetics 2X96 watt actinic PC, 220 watt VHO actinic, 30 gallon refugium, closed loop system powered by Sequence Dart MSX 200 skimmer 38 gallon sump, Oceansmotions squirt
mg426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/17/2007, 04:53 PM   #7
Bono
Registered Member

The only thing that ever worked for me was covering the tank and leaving the lights off for 3 days. It doesn't effect the fish or corals and it completely removed all the algae. There are quite a few people who do this every few months as part of regular maintenance.

Current Tank Info: 210 gal, 300lbs LR, Aquamaxx Skimmer, 3x Reefbreeders LED's & T5's.
Bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/17/2007, 05:23 PM   #8
Ralph ATL
Formerly mysterybox

Quote:
Originally posted by mg426
Phosphate reduction/ removal is most likely the answer. Get a refugium with Macro algae and invest in a phosphate reactor.
Exactly as stated above!

you must export the same or more nutrients than you put in. Overfeeding, tap water, high phosphate foods, etc. Use a phosphate reactor with some phosar or ROWA or whatever, and something to lower nitrates like a fuge, AZNO3, or whatever. As you do that, add some cleanup crew like hermit crabs, Tangs, Rabbit Fish, Top crown snails, astrea snails, emerald crab what have you. In the meantime, take a good 1/2 inch hose without any "funnel" on the top;just the hose and suck it (syphon) all down when you do a water change. It works great!

check out:
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-09/rhf/index.php

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/iss...st2003/chem.htm

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.php