Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 07/24/2008, 05:16 PM   #176
ray3mont
Registered Member

Waterkeeper,

Thanks for the Natural Filtration Article Part II. I have now converted my established live rock tank to a 5 inch DSB. In you article you recommend staying away from live stock that would disturb the deeper portion of the sand bead and large burrowing fish.

However, I was wondering if you would have concerns over adding any of the following:

1. a pair of diamond gobys ... my understanding is they only sift the top layer of the sand bed.

2. blue spot jawfish .... they are a relatively small fish.

Also, I have a pair of bar gobys who have tunneled under some of the live rock.
Are they a concern with maintaining the DSB?

Thanks!
Ray

ray3mont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/29/2008, 04:07 PM   #177
bpursell
Registered Member

Talking

Hello to all!! As a newbie to the soft coral reef tank all I can do is look around in awe at the tanks that I have seen. If I had not been totally bitten by the bug before I was directed to this site I am hopelessly sunk now! About my tank... 75 gallon starter, three months old tank, with twelve (who-hoo) shiney mushrooms two feathers and a starburst that looks fabo some damsels and a nemo/anemo...plenty of hermit crabs, two feathers and lotsa live rok. I am itching to move ahead... i kno patience is a virtue but can someone tell me if I am ready??

Ok, this is the part where I show my lack of intelligence, lol...
running: 4 Coralife 10,000k 55watt compact florescent 21 inch lights
two filters, Aqua Clear one for 75 gal and one for a 60 gal
one small power head:Rio 180

Tank measurements:
Ammonia= 0
Nitrite=0
Nitrate=20 i dunno why this is staying high??
PH=7.8-8.0

Either way, my name is Chris and you guys are such the jam when it comes to tanks. Cudos to Progressive Marine for sending me here, the most awsome unsolicited non-advertised shop in mobile alabama!

Nice to meet everyone! Upwards and onwards...

[COLOR=red]20

Current Tank Info: 75 gal sfc
bpursell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/30/2008, 07:40 PM   #178
herozero
Registered Member.

So stoked to be here!

A super noob! Hi everyone, very glad to be here. I'm a scuba diver who has too much dust on his (scuba) equipment and have decided to take the plunge and put a little bit of the beautiful ocean I don't see as much anymore in my apartment. Due to size and budget, I've started small, 20G (24x13x16) with 24 lbs. Fiji rock. Tank has been up since Friday 6/25/08, stable pH just over 8.1, SG about 1.0226, sand and rock are in and we have the beginnings of some brown looking algae hitting the scene. I know the 20G won't be able to handle a ton of livestock and am aware of the difficulties of maintaining smaller tanks, but I figure some extra TLC are in order if I want to go big in the new home that is in sight within 24 months. Patience is not my strongest virtue, so this is a true test! I am looking forward to ammonia levels going above zero pretty soon and adding some algae eaters and such before adding some fish after August vacation.

I love the forums, all kinds of great information and I can't wait to post my little coral paradise!

herozero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/06/2008, 01:27 PM   #179
rbr493c
Registered Member

I am a newbie and had a question concerning water. I understand issues with municipality water, but what about starting out with well water?

BTW...
I'm also a newbie to this site, and the article is great!

rbr493c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/06/2008, 02:17 PM   #180
Paul B
Premium Member

It doesen't matter what water you start out with as long as you remove whatever substances are in the water that would cause harm to corals. Well water may be fine but well water can also have heavy metals and insecticides along with nitrate. You could have it tested or use reverse osmosis or deionization, preferably both.
Good luck.
Paul

Current Tank Info: 100 gal reef set up in 1971
Paul B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/06/2008, 09:40 PM   #181
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rbr493c
I am a newbie and had a question concerning water. I understand issues with municipality water, but what about starting out with well water?

BTW...
I'm also a newbie to this site, and the article is great!

To Reef Central

suggest you invest in a good ro/di filter right from the start

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
Aquarist007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/06/2008, 09:44 PM   #182
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bpursell
Hello to all!! As a newbie to the soft coral reef tank all I can do is look around in awe at the tanks that I have seen. If I had not been totally bitten by the bug before I was directed to this site I am hopelessly sunk now! About my tank... 75 gallon starter, three months old tank, with twelve (who-hoo) shiney mushrooms two feathers and a starburst that looks fabo some damsels and a nemo/anemo...plenty of hermit crabs, two feathers and lotsa live rok. I am itching to move ahead... i kno patience is a virtue but can someone tell me if I am ready??

Ok, this is the part where I show my lack of intelligence, lol...
running: 4 Coralife 10,000k 55watt compact florescent 21 inch lights
two filters, Aqua Clear one for 75 gal and one for a 60 gal
one small power head:Rio 180

Tank measurements:
Ammonia= 0
Nitrite=0
Nitrate=20 i dunno why this is staying high??
PH=7.8-8.0

Either way, my name is Chris and you guys are such the jam when it comes to tanks. Cudos to Progressive Marine for sending me here, the most awsome unsolicited non-advertised shop in mobile alabama!

Nice to meet everyone! Upwards and onwards...

To Reef Central

re nitrates high--have you started to do water changes?

[COLOR=red]20

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
Old 08/06/2008, 09:46 PM   #183
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Re: So stoked to be here!

Quote:
Originally posted by herozero
A super noob! Hi everyone, very glad to be here. I'm a scuba diver who has too much dust on his (scuba) equipment and have decided to take the plunge and put a little bit of the beautiful ocean I don't see as much anymore in my apartment. Due to size and budget, I've started small, 20G (24x13x16) with 24 lbs. Fiji rock. Tank has been up since Friday 6/25/08, stable pH just over 8.1, SG about 1.0226, sand and rock are in and we have the beginnings of some brown looking algae hitting the scene. I know the 20G won't be able to handle a ton of livestock and am aware of the difficulties of maintaining smaller tanks, but I figure some extra TLC are in order if I want to go big in the new home that is in sight within 24 months. Patience is not my strongest virtue, so this is a true test! I am looking forward to ammonia levels going above zero pretty soon and adding some algae eaters and such before adding some fish after August vacation.

I love the forums, all kinds of great information and I can't wait to post my little coral paradise!

To Reef Central

we will look forward to seeing your pictures

Old 08/11/2008, 08:07 PM   #184
dragenfire0
Registered Member

i am new to this hobby and is loving this site a lot of good info and articals what an awsome site!!!

dragenfire0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/11/2008, 08:20 PM   #185
dragenfire0
Registered Member

one question i have is about bio balls . shuold i be using them and why? i heard that they willl start running my nitrates up eventually.is ths true

dragenfire0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/12/2008, 08:19 AM   #186
Gordonious
Registered Member

Bio balls help process waist to Nitrates quickly, but don't process them from their. I don't think they are helpful in most situations and I usually suggest removing them. Just my two cents though.

Gordonious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/12/2008, 12:10 PM   #187
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dragenfire0
one question i have is about bio balls . shuold i be using them and why? i heard that they willl start running my nitrates up eventually.is ths true

To Reef Central

Bioballs should be replaced---live rock, sand bed and a protein skimmer are all you need for a good filtration system

There are three kinds of bacteria that work on biological filtration
aerobic bacteria which break down ammonia to nitrites
anerobic bacteria which break down nitrites to nitrates
anoxic bacteria which break down the nitrates to nitrogen gas and it leaves your tank

Anoxic bacteria live in deep layers of the substrate and innner most parts of the live rock.
Bioballs can't support anoxic bacteria so any waste collected with them is turned to nitrates by the above processes but the nitrates can't be converted to nitrogen gas because of the lack of anoxic bacteria.
Therefor over time nitrates can build up on the bioballs and eventually make it back into your system.

Old 08/12/2008, 12:12 PM   #188
Aquarist007
Registered Member

I have all this in diagram form for better understanding on the Capn's Log Book blog:

http://www.reefcentral.com/wp/?p=324

Specificially here:
http://www.reefcentral.com/wp/?p=289

Old 08/12/2008, 08:35 PM   #189
bpursell
Registered Member

to capn: yes, just finished 2o% water change so we will see how that helps, also changed the filters, etc you get the idea. Everything is tip top shape EXCEPT for the nitrates. Grrr. Now that I have done a bit more research I realize that it was most likely due to over feeding at the get go and poor poor tank maintence on my part. I thought that I was still cycling and should have been changing water before now. Currently I am dealing with either red hair algae or cyanobacteria (aka the dreaded red slime) I have had no fish loss or any sign of stress but plenty of red algae... slap the noob here, I could not distinguish good red algae from bad. I was sooo proud. Lol.

I added three snails, three emerald crabs, and a Hawiian flame angel to the tank before I realized the deal. Following my water change the nitrates are now still too high.

Current Tank Info: 75 gal sfc
bpursell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/12/2008, 08:39 PM   #190
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bpursell
to capn: yes, just finished 2o% water change so we will see how that helps, also changed the filters, etc you get the idea. Everything is tip top shape EXCEPT for the nitrates. Grrr. Now that I have done a bit more research I realize that it was most likely due to over feeding at the get go and poor poor tank maintence on my part. I thought that I was still cycling and should have been changing water before now. Currently I am dealing with either red hair algae or cyanobacteria (aka the dreaded red slime) I have had no fish loss or any sign of stress but plenty of red algae... slap the noob here, I could not distinguish good red algae from bad. I was sooo proud. Lol.

I added three snails, three emerald crabs, and a Hawiian flame angel to the tank before I realized the deal. Following my water change the nitrates are now still too high.
start posting some pictures of your tank--it will make it easier for us to follow your progress and answer your questions

Old 08/13/2008, 08:35 AM   #191
Gordonious
Registered Member

One possibility, which I have found to b the case a lot of the time, is that you could have hair algae covered in cyano bacteria. Address the cause of the problem before you focus on removal.

If you do start manual removal I would start a slow siphon with some tubing so when you pull or brush things off you can remove 99% or the pieces.

Good luck

Gordonious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/17/2008, 08:28 AM   #192
Aquarist007
Registered Member

+ 1 on finding the source of nitratesa and phosphates

Eliminate the source of nutrients and you eliminate the algae:

here is a few ways of doing that:

http://www.reefcentral.com/wp/?p=287

Old 08/17/2008, 08:00 PM   #193
NanoCube-boy
Registered Member

great info.

NanoCube-boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/31/2008, 10:00 AM   #194
efrog
Registered Member

Suggestions for RO filter for 55 gal tank?

Ok, I dropped and did 50... now can I ask my first question?
Newbie here willing to go as s l o w as I need to go in order to do this right.
I have an empty 55 gal tank I want to turn into a Reef tank. I read the water article and agree. What size RO system do you suggest that I buy? Can they be bought at Lowe's or are they only available at Aquarium shops?
Thanks!

I mean THANKS SIR!

Mike

efrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/31/2008, 11:52 AM   #195
NanoCube-boy
Registered Member

I think you should get 4-5stage RO/Di system with 100-150gpd pumping. It's best to purchase at Local fish shop or Water and Ice. I got mines at Waterandice.com I bought the typhoon III with 75gph for my 12g tank.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...hreadid=812782

Old 08/31/2008, 01:08 PM   #196
efrog
Registered Member

How does this RO filter look?

http://www.purelyh2o.com/catalog/The...m-p-16237.html

Old 08/31/2008, 01:22 PM   #197
efrog
Registered Member

Air, Water & Ice

Just found your filter. It was listed as Water & Ice, but I found it under Air Water & Ice. I assume it's the same folks.
Thanks

Old 09/04/2008, 03:36 PM   #198
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Re: How does this RO filter look?

thats a good price for an ro/di unit

Old 09/04/2008, 06:34 PM   #199
NanoCube-boy
Registered Member

I agree and thats a deal

Old 09/13/2008, 09:45 PM   #200
coym
Registered Member

Can anyone tell me of their experience with ecosystem type tanks ? Thanks

Current Tank Info: none
coym is offline   Reply With Quote