Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Seahorses & Pipefish
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 09/22/2007, 04:59 PM   #1
Octopussie
Registered Member

Question My SeaHorse Setup????

well my girlfriend really wants some seahorses. so we went out and bought a 37g cube, 200w heater, penguin biowheel 350, seaclone 100 skimmer (modified) and a coralife 130w pc lighting with moonlights. is this all i should have equipment wise? do i need a heater, powerhead ect.?

i added this really cool piece of live rock i found at the lfs along with some sea fans. is this an adiquit environment for the horses?

Octopussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/22/2007, 07:35 PM   #2
ann83
Registered Member

You said you already bought a heater...

You may need a chiller though. Even tropical seahorses need to be kept under 74 degrees F, or else you risk serious disease, tube feeding, death, etc. What is the temperature running at right now?

You will also want lots of things in the tank for the seahorses to hitch to.

Are you cycling the tank? How are the parameters running? Do you have adequite nitrate removal? Seahorses are nitrate factories, but will refuse to eat when nitrates are high (which gets serious within a day or two, considering they have a simple digestive system that shuts down if they go without food), so you need to have a lot of nitrate export. You also need to make sure that the pH is stable and high once the tank is cycled because even a slight drop in pH can cause the seahorses to quit eating as well.

Have a read in the seahorse libraries here http://www.seahorse.org/library/articles.shtml and here http://www.syngnathid.org/ubbthreads/showarticles.php

ann83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/22/2007, 08:04 PM   #3
Octopussie
Registered Member

the tank has cycled about 2 weeks ago.i took a water sample in to my lfs and they said my ph was low but everthing else checked out ok. so when i got home i added some buffer and its at 8.3 now. the temp is at
76.1 degrees and i dont know if i can afford a chiller right now. is there any alternative?
As for nitrate removal im thinking about growing some calp but my lfs only has grape calp. i use that in my refugium on my reeftank and really dont like how it looks.

Current Tank Info: 85g reef. 20g sump. phosban reactor. berlin HOB skimmer. 2 x 250w 20k mh. Closed loop.
Old 09/22/2007, 08:34 PM   #4
ann83
Registered Member

Do you have test kits of your own to keep track of your nitrate and pH yourself? I really wouldn't depend on your LFS for the parameters of your seahorse tank; they are very parameter sensitive and LFS have a tendency to say things are "normal" or "okay" instead of telling you exact params (and exact params should be zero), plus you need to be able to check in a pinch, and not have to wait for your LFS to open the next day and take a sample in. I think getting your own test kits is top priority equipment for this tank.

To keep your temp under 74, you can try aiming a clip on fan at the surface of the water for evaporative cooling, but you will really have to keep up with your freshwater topoffs.

Inland Aquatics has a lot of different decorative macroalgaes that look nice. Take a look at the macroalgae forum on here to see some pictures and get an idea of how macros can look in a tank.

Old 09/22/2007, 09:09 PM   #5
Octopussie
Registered Member

i just took my heater off the tank and my temp dropped down to 75.5. i have a couple of old computer fans lying around and a 12 wall plug would that work.

or should i buy somthing like this? i found this on ebay.

Current Tank Info: 85g reef. 20g sump. phosban reactor. berlin HOB skimmer. 2 x 250w 20k mh. Closed loop.
Old 09/22/2007, 09:49 PM   #6
ann83
Registered Member

I don't know if an ice probe would be enough to cool your tank, but you could try; remember though, you need to buy a controller for it too.
The computer fans will work only if you are somehow able to aim them at the surface of the water so that you can induce more evaporation.

Old 09/22/2007, 10:14 PM   #7
Octopussie
Registered Member

i just cut a piece of acrylic the width of my tank and used a hole saw to cut a 3' hole in the center of it. then i attached the fan. should i have the fan blow on the water or suck air away from the water?

Old 09/22/2007, 10:27 PM   #8
Kentanner11
Registered Member

blow on the water, the point of it is to cause some evaporation to cool the tank.

Current Tank Info: RSM 34g
Kentanner11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/24/2007, 12:11 AM   #9
MSAreef
Registered Member

I had an ice probe chiller on my seahorse tank. It helped but your tank is large for it. I would use it for supplementation but the fan blowing across the top is more efficient. I also kept frozen water bottles on hand in case of emergency for those very hot days. Depending on the species, keeping your tank at 77 would be fine. I have a Reidi in my reef tank for over 5 years now and the tank stays at 77-78 with a chiller. I wouldn't recommend putting a seahorse in a reef tank though. He gets lots of hand feeding and he's a good hunter.

Current Tank Info: 90 SPS, Tunze 6100 X2 and multi-controller, Euroreef skimmer, 3/4" sea swirl, chiller, knop calcium reactor, Geo Kalkreactor, 2x400W MH Hamilton, autotopoff, 10W UV, TLF phosban reactor, 8 gal fuge, 29 gal sump
MSAreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/26/2007, 09:48 AM   #10
Octopussie
Registered Member

im getting my seahorses today!!! im excited. ill post pics when there home

Old 09/27/2007, 09:05 PM   #11
sixfins
Registered Member

If you're already at 75.5 without the fan, it should do the trick. I would think the iceprobe would even pull you down a couple degrees, but would't expect much from it. Like everyone else said you have a lot of volume for one of those. I don't think it really matters if you blow the fans on the water or pull the air out, your still going to get a lot of air flow on the surface.

sixfins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/29/2007, 05:04 PM   #12
Octopussie
Registered Member

well here they are. i dont know what kind they are but there really bright. does any body know what species they are?

Old 10/02/2007, 09:18 AM   #13
craiglanda
Registered Member

Looks like Hippocampus Kuda or Hippocampus reidi to me the pics arent to clear but im pretty sure its one of those two. But i am leaning more towards kudas.

Old 10/05/2007, 08:02 PM   #14
Octopussie
Registered Member

well i had 7 seahorses but now im down to 6 and one is lying on the ground breathing hard. my tank conditions are perfect, i just dont get it. they are all eating myisis too.

Old 10/08/2007, 11:07 PM   #15
Octopussie
Registered Member

well there all dead. i give up on this seahorse thing.

Old 10/11/2007, 08:12 PM   #16
Mikeeee
Registered Member

I hope you bought tank raised seahorses. Do you know why they died? were they eating? they needs lots of care but still no reason to just give up.. quitter! haha

Mikeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/12/2007, 10:47 AM   #17
Kanicky
Registered Member

Wow... ouch. Very short story with an un-happy ending. I'm a little disappointed in your attitude towards the care (or lack of) of your horses... I'm assuming that you did this just to appease the whim of your girlfriend and now that she's "over it," you're done?

If you're still interested in keeping seahorses, I highly suggest that you consult the wonderful people over on seahorse.org.

Also, as with reef-keeping, you should never purchase a fish without knowing about proper care methods...

Good luck.

Seahorse, 45G Hex: h. kuda (4); Sexy Shrimp (5)
Undecided, 1/2G Pico: Possibly a couple of Sexy Shrimp

Current Tank Info: 45G Seahorse
Kanicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/12/2007, 11:33 PM   #18
Octopussie
Registered Member

my tank was perfect except for the filter intake. they were all eating except one which would only eat live brine. i fed them 3 times a day. mysis in the morning, live brine in the afternoon and mysis at night. did 5 gallon water changes bi weekly and vacuumed the tank regularly. the tank was kept between 72-74 degrees. after one died due to a getting stuck on the filter i put a filter sponge over it. then they just went down hill from there. please dont question my ability to care for my pets, i tried my hardist and put alote of time and money into this.
1 seahorse = 35$ and i had 7.

Old 10/13/2007, 11:34 AM   #19
Klownfish
Registered Member

I'm sorry to hear about your luck.

There is a very active Seahorse club in your area. Many of the members are Seahorse breeders. With their help, you might get started on a better foot.

If you haven't heard of them, shoot me a PM, and I'll send you a link.

Current Tank Info: 70g reef (150g system) Euroreef, Bubble King, IC OD T-5's, chiller, ACJr, with clams, LPS, SPS and anemones. 24g JBJ Nano, Tunze 6025, Deltec MCE600, SPS, LPS, gorgonians, zoa's, Sansibia. Setting up 29 Biocube (???) tank, Maristar 250hqi
Klownfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/13/2007, 05:19 PM   #20
tsukinokuma
Registered Member

I hate to butt in, but I am very curious, did you happen to quarantine your animals before placing them in the main tank? This is a very important procedure if not, as it will allow you to closely watch your new animals for disease and just in general get to know them (so you know what to look for when somethings wrong).

Also, I was wondering if you placed all the animals in at one time. If that is the case, most likely the cause of your animals death is due to a bioload overload in the tank.

In addition, 7 horses is WAY too many for a 37g tank. I would say 4 tops.

I hope you don't give up. You're on the right track. Kaniky is right, the people over at seahorse.org know their stuff. I have been studying about them for over a year now and I'm STILL learning new things all the time.

I'm very sorry for your loss. I just lost one of my own horses recently. Very hard. I wish you the best.

tsukinokuma is offline   Reply With Quote