Reef Central Online Community
Marine Depot

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 01/07/2008, 12:23 AM   #1
RyanMcLaughlin
Moved On

Do I need anything else?

I have just finished putting my tank together. I have 140lbs of live rock, 200lbs of sand. A Coralife 125 super skimmer, A JBJ EFU 45 Recation Canister, A cascade 1000 Canister, 2 Hydor Koralia 3 Powerheads, and two 200 watt heaters.
Is there anything else I should get. Im not familiar with other equipment like refegiums or things like that. Should I have one?
Thank you,
Ryan

RyanMcLaughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/07/2008, 12:33 AM   #2
BangkokMatt
Registered Member

Lights?
Refugiums are an excellent addition but not necessary. It might be something you want to look into further down the line
Why are you using cannister filters - if used as a filter they are detrimental to a reef system.
What size is the tank?

Current Tank Info: 150g sps Reef (now FOWLR after a devastating crash due to chiller) , 2x400w MH (Icecap ballast, Lumenmax 2, Reeflux 12k SE), Deltec AP701, Grotech Tec III, Chiller, 2 x Tunze 6101, 1 x 6205 (+ m/c), bla bla
BangkokMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/07/2008, 12:44 AM   #3
RyanMcLaughlin
Moved On

Sorry, I am running dual 250Watt MH. I dont plan on having a full blown reef just maybe a coral or two and later a clam. I may add a sump later but I have no idea how they are used or anything about them. It is a 100gallon tank.

Old 01/07/2008, 12:45 AM   #4
RyanMcLaughlin
Moved On

Also what is a refegium?

Old 01/07/2008, 12:49 AM   #5
FOSELONE
THINK BLUE

a seperate tank where you grow pods...& chaeto...beneficial for your aquarium...

FOSELONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/07/2008, 12:53 AM   #6
RyanMcLaughlin
Moved On

How do you attach it. I dont have any overflows or anything or a sump so do i need a pump?

Old 01/07/2008, 12:57 AM   #7
FOSELONE
THINK BLUE

instead of a canister filter you could buy a sump/wet dry filter with an extra area to place some miracle mud, mangroves, chaeto...making it a refugium

Old 01/07/2008, 01:00 AM   #8
FOSELONE
THINK BLUE

you would also need a pump to return the water to the tank...be prepared to spend money...if not now later...once you become more familiar with other products/equipment...you will want them...