Reef Central Online Community
Marine Depot

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Seahorses & Pipefish
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 01/26/2007, 08:43 AM   #1
Klownfish
Registered Member

Smile Nano's a good tank for Seahorses?

I was at my LFS, and saw a 30g Nano. I was told this was a good choice for a Seahorse tank. Yes/No??

I was concerned there wasn't enough filtration to many of these "All in One Nano's". They don't have skimmers, and many use Bioballs! I understand quite a lot of food goes into these tanks, cause they are fussy feeders?

I've never owned Seahorses, but I'm just starting to study about them, before I make any decisions.

If I choose to do a Seahorse tank, they would be the only thing kept in the tank, besides inverts. I would buy "tank raised" only, any advice about that is a good type to buy??

Tanks!

Current Tank Info: 70g reef (150g system) Euroreef, Bubble King, IC OD T-5's, chiller, ACJr, with clams, LPS, SPS and anemones. 24g JBJ Nano, Tunze 6025, Deltec MCE600, SPS, LPS, gorgonians, zoa's, Sansibia. Setting up 29 Biocube (???) tank, Maristar 250hqi
Klownfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/26/2007, 08:54 AM   #2
fours2many
Registered Member

Depends on what nano. 30 gallons is a good enough size if the hight is right. The tank should be atleast 3x higher than the length of the species of seahorse you are getting.

Seahorses tend to like less water movement. I switched out my maxi jet 900 for a 400. They are still young and one was having difficuly hanging on her hitch. (she is smaller). So if this unit comes with a maxijet or something simular and you need less movement, can you switch it out to something smaller?

Is there an enclosed hood? I think open is better for heat removal. I have an opened cube. No heat problems. I think some nano cubes were having issues with heat form the lids.

Will you be keeping corals in the tank? This makes a difference with the lighting. What lights come on nthis nano cube? I just use an inexpensive PC light. I have a few mushrooms and other low light corals. Macro does fine with my light as well.

You mentioned bioballs. Just remove them, place some rubble rock in the space.

I have a heater and a nano skimmer in the other side of the overflow. Works nice

Take a close loook at the pet store and see if it what you really want. Then look at some open cubes for comparission. Maybe add up the cost of everything seperatly and see what the difference would be.

Kristin

fours2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/26/2007, 09:03 AM   #3
Klownfish
Registered Member

Fours2many- Thanks. It just might be easier for me to buy separate, as you suggest. I have a 35g Hex sitting empty, so I can save a few $ on the tank itself. It's everything esle that's so costly!

I wasn't going to keep much in coral, so I could keep my lighting down, and possibly the overgrowth of problem algea down. Maybe a non-photosynthetic gorgonian or some silk fakes for the Seahorses to hang out on.

What are some good types of horses to get? I like larges, and colorful. Any site sponsors you might suggest for such a purchace?

BTW, thanks for the good advice!

Current Tank Info: 70g reef (150g system) Euroreef, Bubble King, IC OD T-5's, chiller, ACJr, with clams, LPS, SPS and anemones. 24g JBJ Nano, Tunze 6025, Deltec MCE600, SPS, LPS, gorgonians, zoa's, Sansibia. Setting up 29 Biocube (???) tank, Maristar 250hqi
Klownfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/26/2007, 09:56 AM   #4
ann83
Registered Member

I have a 35 hex with 2x24 PC lighting. The only coral I have are Kenya Trees. Which are growing happily, and are great hitches for the seahorses. My horses also like to hitch on my featherdusters and my macros. I wouldn't spend too much time or money on a hitch for the seahorses, unless you'd be really happy with it even if they didn't use it, as they are likely to choose someplace else to hitch anyway. You could still keep featherdusters and low light macros without high lighting, so those are options to you for hitches as well.
With horses, stick with tropical if you are trying to save $$, because subtropical and temperate need a chiller. My favorite horses are Reidi. You can go to www.seahorse.org and look around in their gallery and see what you like. Usually the ones that are readily available captive bred are erectus, reidi, kuda, and barbouri. www.seahorsesource.com and www.marinedepot.com both have good reputations for cb horses.

ann83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/26/2007, 01:00 PM   #5
fours2many
Registered Member

Another good place is Dracomarine.org

I have the H Erectus from there. Very nice horses.

Kristin

fours2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/26/2007, 01:10 PM   #6
ann83
Registered Member

duh, i meant to say dracomarine instead of marinedepot. I dont even think marinedepot has seahorses.

ann83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/27/2007, 12:02 AM   #7
pledosophy
Registered Member

Marine Depot does sell seahorses, many of them are from Draco.