Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 01/08/2008, 09:39 PM   #1
pack93
Registered Member

Powerheads

I a was wondering if the noise from powerheads gets quieter over time. I am trying to decide whether to go with the Tunze 6625 or the Koralia 3. I have put one of each in my tank and both are a little louder than I thought they would be and rattle the glass a little. Will this get better over time and has anyone else had problems with rattling the glass? Also which powerhead have others had good success with?

pack93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/08/2008, 09:46 PM   #2
BangkokMatt
Registered Member

I also use both and I haven't had any issues with rattling (apart from when I modded the Tunze but that was sorted by pushing the cover on tighter)
Are the rubber magnet covers on the K3 and have you put the rubber feet on the Tunze

Current Tank Info: 150g sps Reef (now FOWLR after a devastating crash due to chiller) , 2x400w MH (Icecap ballast, Lumenmax 2, Reeflux 12k SE), Deltec AP701, Grotech Tec III, Chiller, 2 x Tunze 6101, 1 x 6205 (+ m/c), bla bla
BangkokMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/08/2008, 09:50 PM   #3
pack93
Registered Member

Yes I have them on both of them. I guess they are not making a hard rattling noise but just louder than I thought. Do they get quieter as they get older and the parts get a little slime on them?

pack93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/08/2008, 09:50 PM   #4
cilyjr
Registered Member

i have a koralia 4 and can't hear it

Current Tank Info: 180 inwall, 75 sump, 20lfrag, 3x lumen max elite w/250w radium 20k, recirc modded asm g-3, aqua controller apex,2x rw-20, 350lbs LR
cilyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/08/2008, 10:31 PM   #5
Aquarist007
Registered Member

You just need to adjust them so they are not deflecting of the glass as much--let them deflect off some live rock--if a large amount is directed at some coral that likes it--then it will absorb alot of the shock.
I just added another Korilia 4 today to bring up the flow to 45 times the tank volume--you can't hear a peep out of them

The only draw back with the Korilias is that you can't wave time them--and I have yet to find a controller that will work with them
So far the only work around seems to be to run some power heads on a time in conjuction with the hydors to really churn up the flow.
There is a type of tunze that will work with a controller however

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
Aquarist007 is offline   Reply With Quote